General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What did you do to your civic today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: What did you do to your civic today?

Used a headlight restoration kit on my headlights yesterday and the results were great. It cleaned them up so they look new! $20 is a lot cheaper then buying new headlights. Here are some before and after pics. Only took about 30 minutes and everything you needed was included in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	83214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	83215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	83216  
Old 04-30-2012
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torenxw is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket in an attempt to fix a terrible oil leak I have from the VTEC solenoid itself. The problem still isn't fixed, so I ended up ordering a new VTEC solenoid. Turns out that's a dealer-only item and it ended up costing $370 dollars. I better not have a leak after I replace this sucker.
Old 04-30-2012
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by torenxw
I replaced the VTEC solenoid gasket in an attempt to fix a terrible oil leak I have from the VTEC solenoid itself. The problem still isn't fixed, so I ended up ordering a new VTEC solenoid. Turns out that's a dealer-only item and it ended up costing $370 dollars. I better not have a leak after I replace this sucker.

HOOOOORY SHIIIIEET dude that's a damned ripoff!! wow...where in Oregon are you? I know there's plenty of wrecked 7thgens at the yards around Portland...Would have ran you maybe 30 bucks from a pick n pull.
Old 04-30-2012
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
HOOOOORY SHIIIIEET dude that's a damned ripoff!! wow...where in Oregon are you? I know there's plenty of wrecked 7thgens at the yards around Portland...Would have ran you maybe 30 bucks from a pick n pull.
Medford area, I tried the pick 'n' pulls, they said they have nothing. I need it for a sixth gen, but you get the idea.
Old 04-30-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

powershifting? explain please. im not good with these new age ricer terms
Old 05-01-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
powershifting? explain please. im not good with these new age ricer terms
Something I'm surprised a guy named "gearbox" wouldn't know...
That said, I have no idea either... Google it
Old 05-01-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=powershifting
Old 05-01-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wiki "Unlike a normal gearchange, in a powershift the driver does not let off the accelerator. The clutch is briefly depressed while the shift lever is rapidly shifted into a higher gear, keeping the engine in its power band. This helps the car accelerate faster, but increases the wear on the clutch and the transmission beyond normal levels and shortens the expected life of these components. "

sounds like a ricer move to me haha

unless you have a volvo twin clutch trans

"Powershift is a wet clutch gearbox, with one clutch for the odd gears and reverse gear, while the other clutch handles the even gears. Like other twin clutch systems, the next gear is preselected so upshifts can be done nearly instantly, giving a continuous flow of power without disruption because of gear changes."

Old 05-01-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

everyone knows you powershifting with consume more vtec fluid, so make sure you have some handy in ur car
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

powershifting = the reason my buddy scooped up a handful of steel (his gears all chewed up and destroyed) out of his celica trans.

did it once or twice in the em2...but honestly it feels like the car keeps the rpms up if you can shift really fast better. and if your going from 1st to 2nd and are close to redline in 1st and you can time when the needle will hit where 2nd gear would start at and let go of the clutch. maybe this isnt the easiest to learn but i do it in every manual ive driven. you just have to get used to the car.

oh and when you power shift your essentially slipping into the next gear. so tears up your clutch...along with your gears
Old 05-01-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

why the hell do u want to powershift in a civic? so you can demonstrate to everyone that your car is not just slow but REALLY slow?
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
why the hell do u want to powershift in a civic? so you can demonstrate to everyone that your car is not just slow but REALLY slow?
because your shift time is way less. but like i said just learn how to shift fast.

...and because it really slow.
Old 05-01-2012
Premium Member

every half second counts i guess when youre driving on the street in a civic.
Old 05-01-2012

my weed wacker makes more of an engine sound than my d17
Old 05-01-2012
Premium Member

i heard the worst exhaust ever on a 6th gen civic yesterday. so loud and buzzy i was embarrassed driving by it.
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

IXMR is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought one. 2000 ex coupe.
Old 05-01-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

LMAO. I only power shift because I get bored. I know it's harder on the car, but it's my car. If it happens to kill the transmission prematurely, then I'll deal with it then. Meh, it keeps me entertained. I usually shift properly anyways.

Today, installed the Rallye 4. Not a necessary mod by any means. However, I prefer 4 point belts to stock/airbag combos. Especially for how close I sit to the airbag. Now, I can also do a little autox for fun without being thrown out the window.

Name:	Rallye 4.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	83228  
Old 05-01-2012
Premium Member

looks nice but i hope you installed it properly. otherwise you could be seriously hurt in an accident worse than if you wore the regular seatbelt. they can be safer than seatbelts but only if installed correctly. just looking out.
Old 05-01-2012
Custom User Title

Today, I replaced my spool valve (VTEC solenoid?). It seems to have been the source of my oil leak. What I'm wondering is hat's the difference between a VTEC solenoid and a spool valve, or is there a difference?
Old 05-01-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gearbox
looks nice but i hope you installed it properly. otherwise you could be seriously hurt in an accident worse than if you wore the regular seatbelt. they can be safer than seatbelts but only if installed correctly. just looking out.
Much appreciated. I made sure to install it properly. I'm going to have someone take a look soon to double check my installation (can never be took careful). I'm quite confident however. I was slightly concerned about the mounting, as the metal bends if you put much force on the belt. once bolted in place. Should I worry a bit, or is that typical? Don't know... Looks like I'll have to track down the one guy who installed one in his car for the DIY on here.

Oh... might I add that in the manual, the mounting brackets were shown bent at a 45 degree angle. I found it odd that they were bent in the manual, and not bent from the factory. Made me think that metal was supposed to bend. I'm not going to be using this much anyways until I no for a fact that it's been installed right. Just need some clarification. If anyone has anywhere to point me, AWESOME. Going to send Schroth an email here if I can't find my answers tonight.

Last edited by Roxie; 05-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by torenxw
Today, I replaced my spool valve (VTEC solenoid?). It seems to have been the source of my oil leak. What I'm wondering is hat's the difference between a VTEC solenoid and a spool valve, or is there a difference?
correct me if im wrong. a spool valve is a solenoid. just another word for it
Old 05-02-2012
Premium Member

Roxie, metal should not be bending with the force you could put on it by hand. in a crash they will rip right out with the pressure of your full body weight traveling at whatever speed the car is going. i found some diys but they all use "eyebolts" which imo are not safe enough. okay this one looks good...and he makes a comment about how unsafe 4 point is even when properly installed. read the whole thing before you decide. may want to consider going back to stock belt because its not worth a permanent injury or death. esp if you did not remove the rear seats to use the original back seatbelt bolts along with mounting plates. this guy knows his stuff. i know you are very good with cars, but this is one thing that can have too many consequences if done wrong. after reading the diy, i would never even bother with em unless i had a racing seat and harness bar and the fancy harness. at that point it becomes a question of why. unless you are racing on a track, there is no benefit.

http://www.hondaclub.com/forum/artic...right-way.html
Old 05-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
correct me if im wrong. a spool valve is a solenoid. just another word for it
The solenoid is the electromagnetic section, and the spool valve is the section that contains hydraulic operation (oil flow).
All in one.

It's two.
Two, two mints in one.
Old 05-02-2012
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by ezone
The solenoid is the electromagnetic section, and the spool valve is the section that contains hydraulic operation (oil flow).
All in one.

It's two.
Two, two mints in one.
That makes sense. Strange though, the dealer referred to the whole assembly as a spool valve. Maybe you just can't buy one without the other.
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Today I installed cheap fog lights on the side of my Civic! This is so I can see the street corners in dark neighborhoods so I can look for pedestrians (edit: When I want to make turns so I can see the corners). $11 for the entire kit at Harbor Freight (after 20% off) and comes with a switch and cylinder glass fuse with holder, wiring, brackets..
It should be bright enough. 55w H3 Halogens. I could always get 100w bulbs although the lamps would heat up very fast. The lense I think is glass and the body is metal, but the glass has a strong yellow filter on it, and slight blue. Lowers the lumens a lot, but that's kind of good so there is less glare for others (less chance of cop attraction).
I'll have them on for only when I need it, like a few seconds at a time.

I'm also going to install 35w HID 4500K H7 bulbs in the stock reverse light housing soon, with wire harness. Lifetime warranty.

Name:	SANY0015.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	83229   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0016.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	83230   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0017.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	83231   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0018.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	83232   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0002.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	83233  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	83234   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0013.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	83235  

Last edited by danwat12345; 05-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2012
Premium Member

interesting, but why not drill a hole for the wiring to go thru instead of hanging there. its just asking to be ripped out.
Old 05-02-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by danwat12345
Today I installed cheap fog lights on the side of my Civic! This is so I can see the street corners in dark neighborhoods so I can look for pedestrians. $11 for the entire kit at Harbor Freight (after 20% off) and comes with a switch and cylinder glass fuse with holder, wiring, brackets..
It should be bright enough. 55w H3 Halogens. I could always get 100w bulbs although the lamps would heat up very fast. The lense I think is glass and the body is metal, but the glass has a strong yellow filter on it, and slight blue. Lowers the lumens a lot, but that's kind of good so there is less glare for others (less chance of cop attraction).
I'll have them on for only when I need it, like a few seconds at a time.

I'm also going to install 35w HID 4500K H7 bulbs in the stock reverse light housing soon, with wire harness. Lifetime warranty.
Just my personal opinion... not a fan. looks bad and you didnt recess it.

if you like it tho.... its your car enjoy
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Ya it's redneck for sure. It's version 1.0. First I have to see if it really helps. My next step will be to run the wire through the bumper to the front of the bumper and up into the engine bay. But that might involve taking off the bumper and that seems like too much work.
Ya it's doesn't help MPG but shouldn't make much of a hit.
Maybe I could just run the wires into the bumper then go up into the outer hull and take the outer hull off to poke a little hole into the engine bay for the wires.
Old 05-02-2012
Registered!!

CH4GX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Used a headlight restoration kit on my headlights yesterday and the results were great.
How long did it take for you do do both of them? Was this your first time? Hint/tips/tricks?

I was looking at getting a set from certifit.com:

http://www.certifit.com/p-6388-headl...iver-side.aspx
Old 05-02-2012
Premium Member

those aftermarket oem style lights are junk when driving at night. and way less than $100 shipped for a new pair.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your civic today?