General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Dayco or Gates timing belt kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xgtcivicturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dayco or Gates timing belt kits?

I need some inputs or review on which is a better manufacture on Dayco or Gates that makes timing belt kits for the 7th Gen Civic that last a while base on mileage wise and quality? Which should i get Dayco or Gates the whole timing kits? Opinion needed, Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dayco or Gates timing belt kits?

I've heard of them, but I haven't heard anything about their products. Personally, I'd just go with the Honda OEM kit. At least you know you'll be getting good stuff.
Old 03-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i never saw a problem with dayco belts we sold, but i would still stick with oem because those are proven to last 100k miles already.
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

OEM, the kit itself isn't that expensive and they're very important components that last a long time.
Old 03-25-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

There aRe two basic companies that make belts in the world, gates and someone else. So you are good with either
Old 03-25-2011
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road

Yeah theres no reason to really look anywhere else for a timing belt kit. Its something you'll never even think about unless something goes horribly wrong. Just put in the OEM kit and forget about it.
Old 03-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JonDorian JD is an unknown quantity at this point

Last July I installed a Dayco Timing Belt/Water Pump kit sold @ AAP - that was 12,000 miles ago haven't had any trouble yet. I wanted to do it quick, AAP had the whole kit with tensioner, it was just easy and sales guy, also a friend of mine, said they've sold them for years with no complaints.

Honda also definitely provides a quality belt (can't say so much for their transmissions) - the old belt had 130K and was still in great shape for a belt that old. You could see a really little bit of cracking in the rubber when you bent it but I'd be willing to bet if I had left it on the car it would have lasted alot longer. It said Honda on it - but it also said it was manufactured by Gates - so you're not getting any special Japanese recipe as far as I can tell and you can buy Gates belts aftermarket and avoid $tealership prices if you wanted to go that route -either way I'd highly recommend finding a nice kit that includes everything to make your life easy. Also - you'll need a gasket here and there not included in the kit - like for the valve cover.

Have fun with that crankshaft bolt - I had to burrow a 3/4-inch impact wrench and heat it with propane (avoid this propane part if at all possible)

Last edited by JonDorian JD; 03-30-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: bad spelling