General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

its official s2000 discontinued after 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
its official s2000 discontinued after 2009

Looks like its official, any hint of honda sportiness is gone.

S2000 is discontinued after 2009 with no replacement in sight.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=140608

TORRANCE, California — After reporting a drop in sales of 65.7 percent in December 2008 for its S2000 compared with the previous December, Honda on Monday announced that 2009 will be the final year of production for the roadster.

The Japanese automaker spun the announcement of the death of the roadster as a somewhat natural evolution, saying the car was "originally envisioned as a limited-edition tribute to Honda's 50th anniversary."

But the automaker's earlier report on 2008 annual and December monthly sales told a different story. Honda sold just 72 S2000s in December 2008 versus 210 in December 2007. Honda said it sold a total of 2,538 S2000s in 2008 versus 4,302 in 2007, a decline of 41.2 percent.

The S2000 was first introduced in 1999 for the 2000 model year. A club-racer-inspired S2000 CR version debuted in the 2008 model year. In a review of that vehicle, Inside Line described it as "the most tightly focused, single-minded performance roadster on the market."

In a statement, American Honda Motor Executive Vice President John Mendel said the S2000 "is a sports car designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts."

Inside Line says: A beloved Japanese sports car bites the dust, another victim of hard times. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: its official s2000 discontinued after 2009

Very disappointing.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

yeah with the s3000 and new nsx axed. i lost any faith in a honda sports car.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough

First goes the CRX, then the prelude, now this....
Honda is gonna lose a lot of customers in the sports car industry.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

well with the recession can you blame them? would you rather have honda cut out some cars or go out of business? im sure when the economy picks back up we'll see a new roadster and nsx.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

johnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to alljohnbt23 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrtrinh
well with the recession can you blame them? would you rather have honda cut out some cars or go out of business? im sure when the economy picks back up we'll see a new roadster and nsx.
x2
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ i agree.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

i agree to a certain extend, but there still is a lot of other companies out there that are making sporty cars in the recession. Nissan is coming out with there 370z, mazda is coming out with a redesigned miata for 2010, vw is working on a rwd mid engine roadster set to come out next yr and hyundai with there hyundai genesis coupe.

People forget that even though sports cars don't make a lot of money, but they bring in new buyers into the brand.

Just like integra drivers usually upgraded to a TL when they get older. SI/prelude drivers upgraded to a accord.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

i think people would've been happy if honda just kept the same chassis, but changed the body panels and dropped in a k23 and up the hp to 300 to the crank. Called a S2300 or S23T

That would been money saved on R & D. People forget that the nissan 350z was desiged when nissan was about to go bankrupt before renault stepped in. But nissan green lighted anyways and it was pretty successful in generating sales and keeping people interested in the brand.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 01-27-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its just business. you dont make something that nobody is gonna buy. at least there are plenty of used ones floating around.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

the cars 9yrs old. They could've at least gave it a drive train upgrade and changed the body panels, like they did with the 7th gen accord.
Old 01-27-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i know but these days people are lucky to pay for food and rent not go around buying s2ks lol. maybe they will bring it back in a few yrs?
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
i know but these days people are lucky to pay for food and rent not go around buying s2ks lol. maybe they will bring it back in a few yrs?
i agree... even if honda released a new roadster or nsx, not many people are going to buy them now. Many are worried about keeping their jobs and are very conservative about their spending. i believe honda's tactic is very smart
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i disagree, we're in a recession not a depression. Income levels are relatively the same level as last yr, the consumer price index for november and december actually to the lowest its been in 20yrs. The Prime rate is the lowest its ever been in history.

The problem right now is that a lot of the wealth in America has been destroyed over the past yr, since the majority of peoples wealth are in home equities. People tend to spend based on their perception of wealth.

People who could afford to buy a s2k or big screen tv last yr, can do it now but they decide not to because either they lost a big chunk of there 401k or there upside on there house. There still able to make all the household payments but now they have either no equitiy or negative equity right now.

The layoff just makes people even spend less further shrinking the economy.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

kaotic_Zeus will become famous soon enough

Very sad to see it go but it did have a 9 year life generation, i was even looking at the s3000 in a magazine the other month, but that won't come out for a while now...

all that's left is the new civic Si
Old 01-27-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I have a feeling that my next car is going to be a Subaru... the only company with any sport left in it.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

temjinx or w/e lol sounds like hes knows what hes talking about. but in defense to honda, its all about supply and demand and they are just following what they are supposed to be doing. the statistics stand for itself. production probably stayed the same and sales decreased dramatically. any smart company would slow or halt production, in this case honda decided halting production would do more benefit for them. nine years is a long time for 1 generation of cars to exist for. maybe they are making some sort of secret car. i dont think they can just stop making a sport model car, honda knows that whatever nice car they make will get tons of aftermarket support and bring in lots of people to the world of honda.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

i guess i'm just disappointed at honda. its hard to be a honda fan with no car to be excited about. At least the toyotabaru is still on track..just delayed.

i think either the new rwd subaru or the hyundai genesis will probably be the new tuner cars for the next coming yrs. i know the mazdaspeed 3 been gaining some ground last couple of years.

The guys in korean already have a hyundai genesis at 369whp on a upgraded turbo on stock internals.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with civicsrcool. just because they are going to stop making the s2000 doesn't mean we will never see another sports car from honda. it could mean they are taking them in a new direction, potentially one that may upset some enthusiasts (hybrid?).
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

i think the hybrid crz concept was ok and fun concept but not really a sports car. i think the hybrid version of the crz got canned anyways. I believe the crz is still green lighted, the hybrid got retracted to wait and see status.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I have a feeling that my next car is going to be a Subaru... the only company with any sport left in it.
i think you forgot BMW, Audi, Nissan, and Mazda
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

you also have realize the S2000 has been on honda's plate since before 99. 99 was the first production year for the car in the US but they had been testing from at least 97 in japan I used to have pic's along time but not anymore Looked like a mix between the AP1 s2000 and the Del Sol. I have heard that it was being tested as early as 95 but I can't back that one up. This is also one of the reason's the lines looked so good on it. It had that old honda style look to it like the NSX the last gen prelude, and the 6th gen civic before honda threw a bunch of fat on to there cars and made them look big and puffy.
Old 01-27-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Everyone's going back to basics.... the car makers included. No one's gonna buy a weekend toy in the middle of a recession, and cars just simply arent selling. I think you'll see a lot of cars bite the dust in the next couple years as the market shifts, and as a lot of people figure out what the hell they're gonna do when they have to sell their houses for a loss.

The economy will recover, so will the car market and cars will come back. Look at the late 70s-early 80s, look at the late 90s... they come and go.... but they always come back.

[ resumes waiting for the TT quattro TDI to come stateside.[/]
Old 01-27-2009
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, puffy car.

My mothers boyfriend is in the business of making things like webpage design and multimedia presentations, like flash and whatnot. He once made a presentation a couple years ago for Honda that was powerpoint type thing that outlined Honda's business plan for the next several years. One thing which the presentation mentioned was how Honda was going to come out with a turbo'd coupe of some kind to replace the RSX or the S2000. I wonder if this is the beginnings of that.
Old 01-27-2009
Premium Member

interesting. i know honda has turbo engines overseas so im sure its just a matter of implementing it here. should make s2000 type-s lol.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
i think you forgot BMW, Audi, Nissan, and Mazda
lol thats a pretty wide range from a mazda to a bmw.
Old 01-27-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the puffy car thing(lol!) is due to the stupid laws that the U.S. implemented back in 2002-2003, were they need to over size the body panels and the space between the hard stuff(engine, trans, frame support) and the exterior to make it safer for pedestrians in case they run into your car(not if you run into them but if they run into you;thats wack).

For example one of the rules states that there needs to be at least 6 inches of space between the motor and the hood. This gave the aston martin design team a lot of issues.

that and the new engine forward design which is safer cause it essentially drops the engine when there is a front end collision this is why the new si you can't pull the engine from the top the windshield goes over it. It's all about safety and emissions these days. I say stick roll cages in everything and give people helmets
Old 01-28-2009
Registered!!

i just hope the next generation of hondas will look better. The s2k was the last nice looking honda that was still in production.

Honda should steal the guy that's been designing all the new audi's. I love the look of the new audi's. I really like the new s5 and r8.
Old 01-28-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i just hope the next generation of hondas will look better. The s2k was the last nice looking honda that was still in production.
Too True
Old 01-28-2009
Premium Member

mmm yeah wow at the new audis. design is great. hondas new designs all suck to be honest.

Quick Reply: its official s2000 discontinued after 2009