General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Civic Hybrid Plastic Skid Plate is it Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glennwing is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic Hybrid Plastic Skid Plate is it Needed?

Is it advisable to get rid of the plastic skid plate under the engine on my 08 Civic Hybrid? With the skid plate in place I am unable to change the oil and filter. To get the skid plate off requires the the car to be on a lift.

I am wondering what purpose the plastic skid plate serves and if others have gotten rid of it?
Old 12-14-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Re: Civic Hybrid Plastic Skid Plate is it Needed?

Probably to keep dirt/water out of the engine bay. My gf has a hybrid. I see no harm in throwing it away.
Old 12-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

are you talking about the big plastic cover on the bottom? thats pretty important as it keeps dirt and liquids from splashing on mechanical, electrical (alternator), and other engine components that need to stay dirt and water free (timing pulley and belt). keep it on.
Old 12-15-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gearbox
are you talking about the big plastic cover on the bottom? thats pretty important as it keeps dirt and liquids from splashing on mechanical, electrical (alternator), and other engine components that need to stay dirt and water free (timing pulley and belt). keep it on.
It's a wonder the rest of us didn't get it.. (normal 2d and 4d coupes).
Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

7th_gear will become famous soon enough7th_gear will become famous soon enough

yeah really, I would like clean stuff too! yet another hybrid incentive!

thats two!
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

bricem is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the reason for the underbelly cover was to improve the aerodynamics of the hybrid. Am I just remembering wrong?

EDIT: Sorry, saw some more information elsewhere. Looks like the hybrid has it to protect electric motor and the wires carrying current from the batteries in the trunk to the electric motor. Since the non-hybrids don't have these items, no need for the extra protection.

Last edited by bricem; 12-16-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the hybrid cant get wet lol. im surprised it fares as well as it does with all the crazy stuff going on. regular civics have just one cover below the engine to protect the timing pulley. its a piece of black plastic on the bottom.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

7th_gear will become famous soon enough7th_gear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah the hybrid cant get wet lol. im surprised it fares as well as it does with all the crazy stuff going on. regular civics have just one cover below the engine to protect the timing pulley. its a piece of black plastic on the bottom.

I found it on my 03 a few days ago, it was bent backwards and scraping on the pavement