Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

HELP:2001 civic manual transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adtillery21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy HELP:2001 civic manual transmission problem

my 2001 civic Ex (manual transmission) recently started shifting very roughly. its difficult to get it into any gear. ive found it helps if i quickly wiggle it in neutral between each gear. there are no noises or slippage, i push the clutch in all the way, there is no lack of power, and no leaks,......just rough shifting...ive read about the same problem on other message boards, but complaints only, very little answers or feedback,...please help!!!
Old 12-13-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
Re: HELP:2001 civic manual transmission problem

whens the last time you changed the transmission fluid.. yes even a manual transmission needs fluid.. however its more like oil than it is atf
OTHERWISE.. you might need new synchros.. but i would try fluid first.. its the easiest cheapest solution..

out of curiosity how many miles do you have?
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

adtillery21 is an unknown quantity at this point

im at 72000 miles. i bought it used with 25000 and its never had the transmission fluid changed. ill give that a try and go from there i guess.
Old 12-13-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough

YIKES... looks like it beat mine.. my transmission went out at 65k... the mainshaft bearing exploded and it started popping out of gear...
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

army12bc will become famous soon enough

mine is locked in revers at 40000
Old 12-13-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

yea the service interval for the manual transmissions is a joke.. it should be every 20k.. i try to change mine every third oil change.. sometimes i forget
Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

CanadianCivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point

does it feel like its getting stuck before going into gear? before mine would get stuck like half way inbetween gears, all i did was take off the shift linkages and sprayed some wd40 on it and now its fine. unless its another problem
Old 12-14-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

if you are talking about the rubber bushings on the transmission.. yea they can cause the sticking, but with 75k on the clock and never had the transmission fluid changed.. i would check that first.. as theres only about 2 quarts of fluid in there.. doubt that it could possibly last that long
Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed I think every 30,000 miles (I think thats what the shop manual says) the man that owns spoon racing says transmission fluid fluid should be change as often as oil if your racing. Also don't flush the trans drain and fill. If you flush for some reason mostly cause your moving sediment around in there it tends to cause more problems than just draining and filling.

the 7th gen civic trans takes 1.6 quarts of fluid and if you take the trans apart and rebuild it takes 1.7 quarts. If you over fill it it will build up pressure and leak out the axle seals making mess won't hurt anything but still a mess. and If your really smart you won't fill the trans up through the fill plug you will pull the reverse sensor out and fill it through there soooo much easier! hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge
Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

ahailey will become famous soon enough

my car just started doing that a few days ago, so i came on here and asked about it. i was told to take the console out, blow out the white powder at the bottom of the shifter (there's a white plastic ball attatched at the bottom), and then lube it up. i didn't have any lube at the time, but i blew out the powder and for some reason it started shifting normally for a few days. now it gets stuck once in a while, i just need to get some lube i guess. you should try the same, maybe it'll help.
Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

9thgencorolla is an unknown quantity at this point

This must be a common problem with these vehicle, cause I had to replace my gearbox at 36xxx cause the main bearing went and was makin a knocking noise. Before I replaced the gearbox I checked and replaced the fluid and I also changed the clutch and throw out bearing and pilot bearing..
Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

4 transmissions in 2 weeks! yeah baby beat that!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

try GM synchromesh. my car had similar problems then i put 1 quart of honda fluid and the rest synchomesh and the thing shifts like butter. i dont know why but everyone says the gm synchomesh fluid is like some magical fluid... sure seems like it to me after i used it.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

_civic_star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
try GM synchromesh. my car had similar problems then i put 1 quart of honda fluid and the rest synchomesh and the thing shifts like butter. i dont know why but everyone says the gm synchomesh fluid is like some magical fluid... sure seems like it to me after i used it.
to add to this thread, i just swapped transmissions in my '03 ex yesterday. i had my old one, which had a busted front mainshaft bearing. replaced the front and rear mainshaft bearings along with the inputshaft seal and axle seals. work better then before now! the tranny i had in til yesterday was also popping out of gear cuz the bearing blew. this time around i'm using penzoil 80w-90 gear oil. shifts smoothly. anyone need any advice/help on how to re-build these transmissions feel free to message. it's simpler then it looks!
Old 01-18-2010
Registered!!

king.0c is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys i have the solution for you. I had the same exact problem and I tried putting wd-40 on the bushing's and it helped for a day or two and then just went back to normal. Triz told me to change my cable bushing to Aluminum ones from strutking.com and The difference it gave me was incredible. This cured my problem like that. Very easy installation here is a link:http://www.strutking.com/products/Ho...-bushings.html

Trust me, best shift i have ever had.
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Gromit259 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: HELP:**TRY THIS** 2001 civic manual transmission problem **TRY THIS**

I was having the same shifting problem in my 2001 civic HX. Shifting was difficult going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc... but it worked fine going 1st to 3rd to 5th or 2nd to 4th. I took out my center console and discovered that the actual shifter stick was sticking and it wasn't my transmission or cables. I poured a few splashes of rubbing alcohol on the ball looking thing and problem solved. It looks like you don't need to take out the center console if you just pour the alcohol down along the shifter stick... It didn't take more than a splash to fix mine....
Old 06-11-2012
Registered!!

Carmelo is an unknown quantity at this point

My 03 EX wouldnt go into gear and when it would it wouldnt come back out!
It looked like it was in neutral but it was still pulling forward.
Anyway, I accidentally pulled off the manual transmission and the reverse gear fell out. I am not sure how it goes back in. Anyone have a blown up parts view they can post? This is really embarrassing yall!
Old 06-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If your reverse just fell out I think you have more problems then just that.
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Shredder87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by _civic_star
to add to this thread, i just swapped transmissions in my '03 ex yesterday. i had my old one, which had a busted front mainshaft bearing. replaced the front and rear mainshaft bearings along with the inputshaft seal and axle seals. work better then before now! the tranny i had in til yesterday was also popping out of gear cuz the bearing blew. this time around i'm using penzoil 80w-90 gear oil. shifts smoothly. anyone need any advice/help on how to re-build these transmissions feel free to message. it's simpler then it looks!
since youve opened the transmission up, you might be able to give me advice, so i have questions, i have a 2001 honda civic ex manual, bought it a month ago, drove it home 1 hour away, everything seem fine, drove it for 2 weeks and 5th gear started popping out, then soon after 1st and 2nd started grinding, and only happens after a long drive, and the grinds only happens occasionally not all the time, shifting into those two gears are smooth, but when you balance the clutch and gas, it grinds for a bit before the car actually picks up, the lag and grind is more dramatic on the 1st gear than the 2nd, all the other gears picks up and goes fine..so then i decided to drain out the manual transmission fluid, but only one quarter of a quart came out, it was extremely low, i filled it up with honda genuine manual trans fluid, almost 2 quarts full..then 5th stopped popping out, i hasnt popped out since..but then 1st and 2nd gear continued for a day, then it stopped grinding for 2 weeks, but just the other day, 1st and second started grinding again, and it grinds the same way it did before the fluid fill up, only after a longer drive, and only occasionally, ive looked around axel areas, i see no leaks i believe, people told me to replace the two sealants on each end of the tranny where the axel enters, but some say, theres other sealants that causes the trans to leak..something about the input shaft seal i think, but the only leaks i see are from my oil pan gasket, which i will replace soon, but then where the dusk cover sits between the transmission and the oil pan, which i believe is covering the clutch, theres seems to be a leak there, it could just be part of the oil pan leak, and its just flowing towards that area, but does trans fluid even leak through there?? ?? im so sorry for the long essay,so from my explanations, what do you think is wrong?? could it be axels not grabbing? could it be clutch?? what should i do?? thanks
Old 11-12-2012
Registered!!

Shredder87 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is what i messaged someone, but please add any advice if you can for me, "since youve opened the transmission up, you might be able to give me advice, so i have questions, i have a 2001 honda civic ex manual, bought it a month ago, drove it home 1 hour away, everything seem fine, drove it for 2 weeks and 5th gear started popping out, then soon after 1st and 2nd started grinding, and only happens after a long drive, and the grinds only happens occasionally not all the time, shifting into those two gears are smooth, but when you balance the clutch and gas, it grinds for a bit before the car actually picks up, the lag and grind is more dramatic on the 1st gear than the 2nd, all the other gears picks up and goes fine..so then i decided to drain out the manual transmission fluid, but only one quarter of a quart came out, it was extremely low, i filled it up with honda genuine manual trans fluid, almost 2 quarts full..then 5th stopped popping out, i hasnt popped out since..but then 1st and 2nd gear continued for a day, then it stopped grinding for 2 weeks, but just the other day, 1st and second started grinding again, and it grinds the same way it did before the fluid fill up, only after a longer drive, and only occasionally, ive looked around axel areas, i see no leaks i believe, people told me to replace the two sealants on each end of the tranny where the axel enters, but some say, theres other sealants that causes the trans to leak..something about the input shaft seal i think, but the only leaks i see are from my oil pan gasket, which i will replace soon, but then where the dusk cover sits between the transmission and the oil pan, which i believe is covering the clutch, theres seems to be a leak there, it could just be part of the oil pan leak, and its just flowing towards that area, but does trans fluid even leak through there?? ?? im so sorry for the long essay,so from my explanations, what do you think is wrong?? could it be axels not grabbing? could it be clutch?? what should i do?? thanks"
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
subworm07 is an unknown quantity at this point

bomerman19 where is the reverse sensor located at? I am going to be changing mine this weekend and I hate filling it though the fill plug.
any help would be great thanks.
Old 03-28-2015
Registered!!

ryoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by _civic_star

Hello, my girl has a 2001 civic ex and I recently installed a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Now the thing is popping out of fifth gear and I'm not sure what the cheapest/ easiest route will be. Can u help?
Old 04-23-2020
Registered!!

Jessica Carnes is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2005 5 speed and when I test drove it shifted nice and no sounds.
24 hours later my husband drives and starts hearing a thunking sound between 2 and 3 when you shift either way. It doesn’t lag when shifting just that loud sound.
was told by previous owner there is four mounts maybe one came loose?
it just had a trans flush, and it’s 139500

oil change life is a little over half gone.