General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Why would Dodge make two cars that are pretty similar (Avenger/Charger)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Question Why would Dodge make two cars that are pretty similar (Avenger/Charger)?

I saw a commercial for the new Dodge Avenger, and I was thinking to myself, "isn't that just a Charger?" Same body style and both appeal to the same target market. I don't know anything about Chrysler, somebody school me on this...
Old 05-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Why would Dodge make two cars that are pretty similar (Avenger/Charger)?

Cant help ya.
Down with american cars that suck!
... For president
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

Charger is much bigger and V8 option.

The avenger is about the size of an accord but with a high output V6 and AWD optional.
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

clue14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned so much about something i dont care about!
wow...
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

ArjoonKumar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Cant help ya.
Down with american cars that suck!
... For president
even if domestics suck. we shud be glad that people buy them so that we don't have only imports
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lxcivic2k1
Charger is much bigger and V8 option.

The avenger is about the size of an accord but with a high output V6 and AWD optional.
Thanks.

It just seems kind of unnecessary for Chrysler to keep coming out with 4 door sedans that are all pretty much similar. New Sebring, New 300, New Charger, New Avenger...well now it doesn't seem like a lot now that I typed them up. I dunno, it just seems like there isn't much that differetiates one from the other. Same Ho-hum boxy exterior. Same mono-tone bland interior. Nothing that really excites me to purchase one of their vehicles.
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

cleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trustedcleanmagcivic should not be trusted

i would quest if you don't have money for an charger then you might have money for an avenger it is just marketing if they are alike then you can sell more by saying hey its like an charger but for less
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

I like the new kinda like the new Avenger. 3.5 V6(235hp) with AWD and a 6spd AutoStick. Not bad considering the Altima weighs more with 270hp (my moms 02 only has 240 since it was the first year.)

I don't mind it but I'm not import only person, I'm open to more things. Especially since I have an 85' Cutlass still running perfectly and with great orignal paint w/o clear coat.
Old 05-10-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

I personally think that almost all American car manufactures are Striving to survive right now. So i guess its Chryslers tactic of gaining a part in the market. Isnt a bad idea after all if all ur sales are going down u know :-)
Old 05-11-2007
Registered!!

Derwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now the american car market is almost exclusively striving for sedans with both luxury and performance. The most common new car buyer is aged 26-35 and are looking for mid-sized to full-sized sedans or crossovers with between 220-275hp in a V6 or V8 option. There has been a loss of gas milage concern on these sized vehicles for the simple fact that the vast majority of the American public has accepted that gas prices are going to continue to rise as long as there is this level of conflict in the middle east- so as long as they get 20-25mpg they're happy.

As for why Dodge is building so many similar looking cars is that for the longest time Dodge had no brand identity. No one could look at a car from them and say that that was for sure a Dodge. You often wondered if it was an Eagle, Chrysler, or Mitsubishi. All three were correct- and it lost dodge a LOT of money. Add that to the fact that there were multiple vehicles that wore the same name but with the Plymouth, Dodge, or Chrysler badge and you're looking at something even worse.

Now as for asthetics- The Charger is a very smoothed out body structure. There are few extreme sharp corners and has a very high, strong beltline meant to appeal to the older demographic that can afford the 25-40g car. The Avenger has multiple sharp angles and has a very "modern" appearance to appeal to both the new car buyer with the base model but still be comfortable for those with a little more money but without the need or ability to step up to the higher level Chargers.

Actually part of my Automotive Marketing And Design project..... and honestly, I like the Avenger. It makes sense where it's at and has a strong competition point with the Accord and other mid-sized sedans with many of its options.
Old 05-11-2007
Registered!!

white_trash is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at enterprise rent a car, so ive had the oportunity to drive them all. The new avenger is basically a glorified version of the new sebring. The interior is practically identical to the new redesigned sebring. The charger on the other hand, like some of u have already mentioned is much larger... it is on the same frame as the 300 and the Magnum. Sometimes I get into a 300 or a Charger and easily forget what car im sitting in because again.... same friggin interior lol. Dealing with these cars on a daily basis makes me realize how poorly they are made. always going back into the shop for warranty issues. Even simple things like speakers blowing right away, as well as the throttle squeeking after the car only has 2500 miles on it.
Old 05-11-2007
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

different platforms for different cars that are different prices, sizes, and potential capacities
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about

Domestic companies HAVE TO STOP with all the fleet sales they allow to make it look like they sold more cars than they really did.
It also fuxors with the resale value of those cars.
Taurus anyone?
Old 05-25-2007
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point

if you think the avenger/charger look alike, try lincoln aviator/navigator. even lincoln used to advertise how the 2 suvs look like brothers
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

my friends parents just got a new hemi charger about a week ago, i must say it does haul ***!
Old 05-25-2007
Registered!!

dopeyboy247 will become famous soon enough

Dodge Avenger used to be a 2-door coupe with a V6 engine. It was discontinued in 2000, then re-introduced in 2008 as 4-door Sedan.

It seems like Dodge loves sedans. They should have made the SRT-4's a coupe, and the new Avenger as a coupe too. Too bas they dont make Neons or SRT-4's anymore. Well, makes since.... They have enough sedans already.