General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

can't start car, electronics go crazy when i try to...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
can't start car, electronics go crazy when i try to...

ok so as anyone living in the midwest knows, it's bitch cold out so you know how much fun it is working on a car in this weather... well my sister decided to see how far below the E she could take her car (01 honda CRV) and now it won't start. last time she drove it was yesterday morning, and i was thinking maybe she forgot to turn off the lights or something and the battery died. so i go over there, try to start the car and sure thing i hear the starter going at it... so battery seems ok. thing is... all the little lights that come on when you just start the car are flickering. i also hear this wierd clicking noise that definetly isnt coming from the starter. it seems to be coming from two different locations under the driver/passenger dash. i've never seen this before, any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

oh, and i added about 2 gallons of gas to the car so it's definetly not empty anymore if it was.
Old 02-04-2007
Banned

sharpie100 is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel your pain man, leaving work yesterday at 11pm it was -8 F in Algonqiun without wind chill. Car started but did so very weakly had to give it gas and let it idle a litlte before moving.

sorry im no help still got a civic? planning a meet june 2nd @ hooters in schaumburg

http://www.importpassion.com/forums/...usse-meet.html
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
the clicking noise from under the dash is a relay. just have to get under the dash while its clicking to pinpoint exactly which one it is and replace it.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

MotorWeb EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
this exact thing happened to me not to long ago. when u try to start it there is a loud buzzing/clicking noise and everything flickers really fast. my friend just took a wrench and tapped the starter a few times with it. and then it started. i dunno if that was luck or not. but then i went to get my battery tested and it was bad. so try getting a new battery because i havnt had that happened since i got a new battery.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
Give the car a jumpstart or try charging the battery. Same thing happened to my dad's 02 accord when the battery was low.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

emdude4 is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing happened to me on my 05 civic when i turned the ignition off n let the stereo playing, you just have a dead battery jive ita jump and it should be good to go.
Old 02-04-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
^^^ like what the past two people said, Jump start your car and she'll fire right up.
Old 02-04-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its the battery, not enough power to start the car. and battery power goes down in the cold so if its not in good shape, it will only get worse.
Old 02-04-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
Originally Posted by _unclejuice
the clicking noise from under the dash is a relay. just have to get under the dash while its clicking to pinpoint exactly which one it is and replace it.
worst advice ever. relays are supposed to click, clicking repeatedly is a sign of low voltage, not a bad relay. replacing it would fix nothing.
Old 02-04-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
haha just noticed that. now if they didnt click you would have a problem too
Old 02-04-2007
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
hahah , i just read through this... yep same thing happened to me recently, on my way to work in the early morning hoping to beat the rush hour but the battery doesnt have enough power to crank the car over so I had to get my dad to move his car out of the garage to gimme a boost. got to work and ordered up a battery and its all good. But my battery is now 5 yrs old now and me having a sound system doesnt help

change the battery!
Old 02-05-2007
Registered!!

JuliosDelsol93 is an unknown quantity at this point
I might have the answer to your problem.

Ok, first of all how old is your battery? A battery normally lasts about 4 to 5 years depending on the weather and what not. Since you live in a cold weather environment I would say about 3 to 4 years. BEFORE you go and spend lots of money on a brand new battery or starter or alternator. Remove the battery from the vehicle (If you have another car to drive) and take it up to your nearest parts house, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. and get them to test the battery. Considering the situation that you're in it seems to me that your battery is less than half way fully charged. If it is then get them to put it on a SLOW TRICKLE CHARGER and charge for at least 10 hours. Then get them to test it again to give you a more accurate result. If it turns out bad then , there's your problem. If it's good and you said you have gas in it then you might want to try what that other post said by tapping the starter. If you have to do this to get the vehicle to start then my guess would be that the solenoid is sticking and not energizing the gears. One reason I would assume it could be sticking is because of the cold weather, but I live on the coast so I wouldn't know anything about that kind of problem. Another reason it could seem like it's sticking is that the cables or wires might be loose. I see this problem a lot. I know, cuz I work at a parts house. Or simply the solenoid could be out. Considering you live in cold weather it could be a number of things if it's not your battery. oh.. and as far as the clicking noise goes I'm not for sure what it is, but I do know it's normal, don't worry too much about that, all cars do it not just Hondas. And your lights blinking rapidly, only thing I can think of as to why they do that is cuz when you try to start the vehicle the starter moves the flywheel which turns the alternator a little bit, but if it just clicks then the flywheel is not turning at all. So I'm not sure about that. Well I hope this helped you out some. Holla at me if it worked out or if you have a question. Later...
Old 02-05-2007
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
charge it or jump it and ur good. this is a pointless post by me since everyone already said this but im bored
Old 02-05-2007
Registered!!

well this is interesting... i got a new battery, put it in, and now nothing... literally nothing. i put the key in the ignition, try to start it, all the normal lights come on but nothing. engine doesnt turnover, dont hear any sort of clicking... wtf mate?
Old 02-05-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
is the new battery charged??
Old 02-05-2007
Registered!!

sorry, i didn't realize you had to get it charged. i got a battery for my car at that autozone before, and didn't have to do anything. they didn't mention anything when i was buying it either .

Last edited by ricergribbs; 02-05-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2007

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
so it's fine now??
Old 02-06-2007
Registered!!

well no, i haven't gone back to autozone to check if the battery is charged. i know that have that stand at the store where you can charge your battery but for now the car is still dead.
Old 02-06-2007

I don't know that you do have to get it charged. It probably should come charged, but maybe that one sat for a long time and lost its charge?? Who knows, but i'd check that first.
Old 02-06-2007
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
this is always a common sign that your battery is low or you need a jump
Old 02-08-2007
Registered!!

JuliosDelsol93 is an unknown quantity at this point
I might have your second answer

Unless the battery you bought from Autozone is bad, it should be fully charged. A battery can't lose its charge just by sitting there not hooked up to anything, unless it was sitting on concrete for a long time. Yes you read right.... if a battery sits on concrete (i.e. driveway) for a long time it will discharge. So I would take the battery to Autozone and get it tested. If it turns out good you might have a problem with your starter. Maybe a loose wire or bad solenoid if you can get it individually.

AmbulanceMonkee: I don't know that you do have to get it charged. It probably should come charged, but maybe that one sat for a long time and lost its charge?? Who knows, but i'd check that first.
A battery sold at a parts house should always be fully charged before selling it to a customer. So keep in mind that if you are ever sold a brand new battery and doesn't start your car at least once then more than likely it is a bad battery and not just low. (Just a little words of advice from a parts house employee)
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
Autozone batteries are remanufactured and do not hold good charge. That's why you have to exchange your old battery in to buy an autozone battery. They take your old one, fix it up and resell. Go with Diehard batteries from Sears or if you want to go with a fancy upgrade, get an Optima Yellow top.
Old 02-09-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
^^X2. Sears has the best batteries.

Are you sure you hooked the battery up right? Are the cables tight?

My 1985 Voyager ran out of gas recently and I had to dump about a half a cup of gas down the carb before it would start (mechanical fuel pump).

I've never run out of gas with an FI car before but perhaps you may need to do something similar. Guys, comments on this?
Old 02-09-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
you guys have no idea what cold is. -8 is an average where i live. a few weeks ago we had a week where 7am the temp would be -25, noon it was -10 and then right back to -25. but dont buy batteries from autozone they suck. sears or napa sell good batteries. i have had good luck with wal mart batteries also. when you get it, charge it overnight then pop it in and it should fire right up.
Old 02-10-2007
Registered!!

Ok, well I took that battery back, and they told me to give them 40 minutes to "charge" it. I told them I already tried charging it with a home charger, they said let them do it anyways. So fine, go back 45 minutes later, get the battery that they say works fine now, take it back, put it in, try to start the car, and sit there in complete silence. Go back again, bitch them out, *******s took 30 minutes debating wether they should give me a new battery, but I finally got a new one. Take that home, put it in the car. Get the clicking again, but car still doesn't start. Fortunately, when I charged this one with the home charger thing, it actually work after I put it back in.
Old 02-10-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
hm.

wait, the engine didn't produce any kind of sound? total silence when you turn the key to the ignition?

or is it trying to fire but couldn't fire up?

gas line freeze is possible, but unlikely.

your alternator gone bad, one possible problem. try tapping them from the bottom of your car, perhaps?
Old 02-10-2007
Registered!!

No, the engine didn't produce any sound when I tried starting it with the new autozone battery. The old battery starts it fine after I charged it though so nothing is wrong with the car.

Guess what though, car didnt start again this morning! So I'm going back to autozone when I get off work and I'm going to rip someones head off if they don't make the return process easy and fast... and even then... we'll see how I'm feeling after work...
Old 02-10-2007

Grrr. Give 'em hell.
Old 02-10-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JuliosDelsol93
if a battery sits on concrete (i.e. driveway) for a long time it will discharge
You're not referring to a modern, sealed lead-acid battery, are you??

Quick Reply: can't start car, electronics go crazy when i try to...