General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Illegal hood mounted windshield washer lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayumiyake is an unknown quantity at this point
Illegal hood mounted windshield washer lights?

Ok, almost to member status! ^_^ Anyway, I work for the Police Department here in Texas so I have the hookup on what's legal right? Well . . . apparently with what's illegal as far as modifications on vehicles is kinda a grey area. My traffic sergeant says that the windshield washer lights are legal as long as they don't project a beam of light forward (i.e. laser) which they don't. So I was like "Ok, kewl! I can have them and be 100% legal!". So then I called DPS, the most NOTORIOUS law enforcement entity, especially when it comes to the streets. Anyway, DPS says that it's not illegal, yet it's not legal. They say that if you are pulled over and the officer really wants to ticket ya, he can get ya for it. Says it falls under a code they use for anything they don' have a written law for. So I guessed I was screwed. But to further this, I was in the parking lot of the PD one day after work talkin' with some co-workers 'bout my new Vic and I mentioned the lights. 'Bout that time one of our officers ending duty drove by and said "I hope you're not plannin' on puttin' those lights on those washers" and I said "I sure am" and he said "And I'll ticket you for 'em". So I wanna know what all y'all experiences are with these. I've seen them all around this area (east texas) and they are growing in popularity. Have you been pulled over for them? Have you not? If so, what did the officer say? Was he DPS or City?

~Ayu-mi-yake~
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

OH! Also, my color scheme on my Vic is gonna be black/silver/red. So the lights I'm gonna have on the hood are gonna be red. Apparently this has some kinda legal no-no attached to it. Lemme know!
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
Never got stopped (Yet) I drive with them everywhere, on interstate, ext. I dont think they mess with them here (Louisiana) but not sure. Guess Ill find out.....
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

cro2k2civicla is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine are white, dont know if it matters..... Lata
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Neonmike is an unknown quantity at this point
It's pretty simple really. White and Amber/Yellow light are the only colors you are allowed to have on on the front of the car while you are operating it on a public highway. So white or amber washer LEDs *should* be legal.
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Thanx for the quick responses, WOW! I think I'll jus' have to take my chances. In regards to the white and amber lights, I was even told by Officer Smart-*** that they were illegal as well. Hmmm, I guess until a written law comes into effect it's up to the issuing officer . . . damn it all
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point

<< They say that if you are pulled over and the officer really wants to ticket ya, he can get ya for it. Says it falls under a code they use for anything they don' have a written law for. >>

how can that work, cops are allowed to make up laws[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] who the hell made them congress. the constitution only gives congress the power to make laws. the police are there to enforce existing laws
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty screwed. To clarify this, it is completely legal for a law enforcing entity to ticket someone for something they believe is a hazard to the driver and other drivers. If there is a dispute, that's when it's taken to court where you can argue your point. Especially when it's somethin' like this that is going to see legislature ONE DAY . . .
Old 03-08-2002
GODLIKE

ASIANPRIDE is an unknown quantity at this point
F#CK DA POLICE F#CK F#CK DA POLICE.....J/K.....Hey you got the upper hand...when you get pulled over...just be like...I'M A COP....so F#CK OFF.....Cops can't give cops tickets....can they....I see cops ripping it up like sooo fast...and well there lights aren't on....like WTF.....and a cop that is off duty can well do what every they want.....cuz there all like "I am da lawwww"(Judge Dread) haha....So just do it up.....we can get in trouble but you can't......

PS.......Ayumi Hamasaki SOOO HOT.......Love her music....
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

QCKSILVR is an unknown quantity at this point
Cops can write other cops tickets, but it's just not done...I'd never ever think of writing another cop. As for the windshield washer lights, any color is completely illegal in New York, but I understand in other states certain colors are legal. I don't bother with writing summonses for the, they don't bother me.
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
are you a cop Ayum?
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Hee hee, y'all are so crazy ^_^ Yeah, officers can ticket another officer, it's jus' common/good practice NOT to ^_~ Kinda like a brotherhood. As far as colors and so forth, QCKSILVR is 100% correct. It varies by state, that's why I wanted to hear 'bout what's happened around the country, but 'specially in TX since that's where I'll be drivin' the most. But I do have the advantage of being able to dispute the ticket as an officer of the law ^_^ Take it to court and say "He's had it out for me since my employment!" and then it's basically thrown out, even it if is the weasels way of doin' things . . .
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< PS.......Ayumi Hamasaki SOOO HOT.......Love her music.... >>

YES! She's hot AND she has kick *** tunes!!
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< are you a cop Ayum? >>

I'm a Police/Fire/EMS and 911 dispatcher, but yeah, we have the same status. Jus' that I tell the officers what to do and I'm their brain ^_^ HAHA!
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

you're the brain that takes way too long to run a plate? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

heh qck you know what i mean [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

PeArlHoNdA is an unknown quantity at this point
in mississippi white is the only legal color here, any other color and the cops get a fit. BUT the cops her r unsure bout white as well, ive had cops read from their book that white is fine all others r bad but a cop will yell at me to turn them off, ill do it then turn them back on go down the road, run into another cop and he will say nice car.

They dont dont know the rules.........its obvious

PeArLhOnDa
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

I've used the windshield washer LEDs as a reason to stop a car, if I think something else is going, but I wouldn't exactly get my jollies off of writing "Displaying a lighting device not approved by the commissioner." I write about 5-6 summonses a month, mostly to people who argue with me and don't let me get any words out of my mouth...I generally like to let people slide...
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< you're the brain that takes way too long to run a plate? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

>>

And you must be the 10-9 king huh?? The one who has the worst radio traffic in all existence and has us run a cch, rms history, 28/27/29, L/C AND a public service in one shoddy transmission??? Yeah . . . that would be you!

HAHAHA!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< in mississippi white is the only legal color here, any other color and the cops get a fit. BUT the cops her r unsure bout white as well, ive had cops read from their book that white is fine all others r bad but a cop will yell at me to turn them off, ill do it then turn them back on go down the road, run into another cop and he will say nice car.

They dont dont know the rules.........its obvious

PeArLhOnDa
>>

There ya go my brotha! ^_~
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< you're the brain that takes way too long to run a plate? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

>>

OH! And don' f'get the RAP sheet! Then you tell us you don' need us to hold since it was only a traffic stop and have us shred it . . . yeah, jus' wonderful . . . [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

<< And you must be the 10-9 king huh?? The one who has the worst radio traffic in all existence and has us run a cch, rms history, 28/27/29, L/C AND a public service in one shoddy transmission??? Yeah . . . that would be you! >>

"dispatch wheres my 28"
"im busy"

[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

~_~ let's see you sit b'hind that console and do an equal or *gasp* BETTER job . . . that's why you're out there, and were in here[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Not to rag on any dispatchers, they do a great job and there would be NO communications with out them, but my A1 biggest pet peeve in this job is the following...."xxx (my unit number) to headquarters".....dead silence...."xxx to headquarters"....I hate it when the radio isn't answered immediately at headquarters...it could be something important, lol. As for running the plates, I have an MDT (mobile data terminal) but it rarely works. So I always have to manually call every traffic stop in and it can really take a long time phoneticially spelling out some long, odd names. I do think dispatchers do an excellent job, however...the information has to get from point A to point B.
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

this could go on for-EVER!! &gt;_&lt; Let's jus' enjoy our CIVICS!!! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
around here, long as those washer are white led, you are okay.. anything else = death
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

HAHA!! Don' want death, nuuuuuuu x.x [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
- my cuzin was pulled over b/c of his blue washer lights just last week. what's funny is that he's had them on for about 6 months and hes never been pulled over before. cops can be asses like that. i say, why even bother with the cops? just don't put them own if they're just gonna be a hassle.
Old 03-08-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
get white ones...legal and not ricey. oh well do what ya gotta do
Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

autobots is an unknown quantity at this point
im in fort hood and i roll with my blue leds, inside neon, and underbody neons on all the time and the cops just cruise past me and dont say a thing so i guess it depends on what the cop feels like

Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Absolute is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO they all are just ricey... but thats just me... here's a good idea... instead of just a windshield washer light.. why dont you rig the wires to your turn signals and if you get stopped just say its part of your turn signal... just like the ones on the M3 LED mirrors... they cant tell you **** for that!!!

Quick Reply: Illegal hood mounted windshield washer lights?