General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

s2k vs. g35 (my next car, i cant decide)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
s2k vs. g35 (my next car, i cant decide)

things im looking at here in the comparison are (in order):

reliability (dont have to worry, honda and nissan are the most reliable)

fun

appearance

power potential per dollar (im not going crazy this time, so mainly bolt-ons and easily reversible mods)

aftermarket availability (looks and power)

creature comforts/ options

insurance rates

im hoping some of you know the answers to my questions lol
but once i figure out what i want im pretty strong on my idea of selling the civic. (hopefully in the next few weeks b4 my trip but i doubt it)
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I could suggest that you have a look at a few reviews (if you haven't already). Your criteria seems to be the same one used by professional car journalists.

I will just be the biased kid and just shout out "S2000" out my lungs, because of this : S2k at the 'ring

Everything else just matters less, when you start whipping gears at that poorly disguised go-kart.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

greenEX will become famous soon enoughgreenEX will become famous soon enough
Let me be the first to say G 3 5 !
Luxury Sports car, 2 door hardtop RWD 2 more cylinders its a great car, so are s2000's but g35 hands down.
Old 07-16-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
A Team mate of mine actually has a G and he loves it, it has nice uptake and is fun to drive, drifting is a blast in it. They are expensive to mod because not many people make parts for them but it is an enjoyable car, I think the HP is somewhere in the range of 270ish
Old 07-16-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
You're not going to make a "wrong" decision here. The only real issue to me would be how much practicality life requires. If you're not going to need to haul crap, S2K is a great car. If you need the extra space, go for the G35.

It's not like you're going to get one or the other and think "wow, what a piece of crap car!"
Old 07-16-2006
You gotta be as blind as Anne Frank not to see that

ddevil0013 is on a distinguished road
i drive g35's all day where i work and i hate their interiors. its just so cheap and plastic-y for a "luxury" car. it sounds awesome, handles good, looks good, more practical, but i'd still get s2k over it anyday.
Old 07-16-2006

nice s2k vid. i appreciate you guys not just posting bs, and saying why you think so.

for me the cons of each are.
g35: not convertible, a lil harder to work on engine-wise, more expensive to mod i hear, a lil less sporty.
s2k: smaller (i dunno if thats a con for me tho), doesnt respond well to bolt-ons at all, less luxurious.

pros:
g35: more classy, more power potential, reliable, has navigation
s2k: more sporty, easy to work on peppy 4cyl with high redline, i know hondas more(but not a big deal), my brother could get me tons of mugen spoon and toda and w/e parts for like 35% off much easier and quicker than he could get nissan stuff. (he owns ipsracing.com)

so right now they are dead even with me but im leaning a tiny bit more towards the g35.

p.s. if i got the s2k the second thing i buy would be the CF spoon hardtop for winter

Originally Posted by white2K2EX
You're not going to make a "wrong" decision here. The only real issue to me would be how much practicality life requires. If you're not going to need to haul crap, S2K is a great car. If you need the extra space, go for the G35.

It's not like you're going to get one or the other and think "wow, what a piece of crap car!"
hahah that made me laugh, good point.
as for my needs.
i daily drive it in city and highway occasionally too. im obviously not carign about taking my friends, although im worried that ill quickly grow tired of not being able to drive my car when i want too cus there will be three of us or something.
i dont need to haul much stuff at all. im a light traveler.

and devil, they do sound awsome in fact thats one reason i like them. what do you mean by the interior being too plasticy?

Last edited by ncirom2003; 07-16-2006 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

2k2civicsedan is an unknown quantity at this point
I would pic the s2000 because of the high red-line. but the G35 will give you more torque. So do you want low-end torque or power at 9k rpms.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

drive_fast_dail has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yeah all really depends on what you want. If this is your primary car that might be a little rough with the tiny trunk the s2k has, if you havent seen it yet thats something to note before you buy. But for driving around I think the s2k would be a lot more fun, and everyone that ever tests it always raves about it. If you can deal with how un practical a small roadster like the s2k is, I would definately go for it. Honda quality is better than nissan for the most part. Plus the G35 packs a french engine, a good one, but still it was designed by french. For all that watch Top Gear Clarkson would say this is a no brainer and get the s2k.
Old 07-16-2006
2 cups sweety 8 cups bitch
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Suzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond reputeSuzy Q has a reputation beyond repute
G 3 5
Old 07-16-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
s2000 owns the g35 in:
reliability - honda > nissan
gas mileage
less s2000 than g35's on the road

g35 owns the s2000 in:
luxury
more power
sexy as hell
back seat (very small back seat)
sounds bad ***.
Old 07-16-2006

i wasnt sure if the g had back seats, thanks.
as i said, i dont care about spare room.

ive spent a few hours just looking at them and talking to my gf, i think im leaning towards the g35 just cus its more practical.

i just need to do some research and keep looking around till i get the time to test drive some. plus its hard to find god damn manual g's especially with navi.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Until you mentioned insurance, I would have picked the s2000 over the G35 coupe. But when insurance rates come into play you might want to check into a G35 Sedan with the 6-speed.
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

CLeeNx04CiVic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
G35
Old 07-16-2006

Originally Posted by InanimateCarbonRod
Until you mentioned insurance, I would have picked the s2000 over the G35 coupe. But when insurance rates come into play you might want to check into a G35 Sedan with the 6-speed.
eww. lol jp, i like some cars more as sedans but the g35 sedan is just hideous.
Old 07-16-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
eww. lol jp, i like some cars more as sedans but the g35 sedan is just hideous.
for the sake of everything good, don't get a sedan g35

Last edited by BlackKnight008; 07-16-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2006

i should convert a coupe to awd!
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
sedan g35 = granny and unless were talking about **** id say they are gay.
the g35 coupe is so damn sexy and it cannot be denied, sounds so sweet, way better than the raspy 4 banger. The s2000 is way sportier but dont let the smoothness of the g35 fool you, it has the punch that makes most honda owners want to convert.
i was in the same debate earlier this year but ive settled on the g35
GOOD LUCK
Old 07-16-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
This thread is like the 1000th one of these

S2000 is more of a small, light, sports car
G35 is more of a heavier luxury sports car
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah its a pretty common toss up for most honda fans, we want the s2000 for loyalty reasons, but the g35 are just so damn hot
Old 07-16-2006

i have always admired the s2k, and wanted one. but when it comes down to it im worried its not what id be happy with long term.
the g35 is much more practical for me, plus i feel like im moving into a more luxury segment, i want more than just performance and looks.
Old 07-16-2006
GO LOW or GO HOME

sl0wEM2 has a spectacular aura aboutsl0wEM2 has a spectacular aura about
S2000!

Great Pro

"s2k: more sporty, easy to work on peppy 4cyl with high redline, i know hondas more(but not a big deal), my brother could get me tons of mugen spoon and toda and w/e parts for like 35% off much easier and quicker than he could get nissan stuff. (he owns ipsracing.com)"
Old 07-16-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
s2000!, it seems g35's are more common than civics now, at least in this city, lol
Old 07-17-2006
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want something a bit more practical and easier for living..Get the G35.
If you want something for pure driving pleasure. Get the S2K. (You won't ever get dissappointed or bored with this one. =) )
Old 07-17-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
s2000 and keep you civic as a beater lol
Old 07-17-2006
You gotta be as blind as Anne Frank not to see that

ddevil0013 is on a distinguished road
im just not impressed with the interior of the g35 at all. its got that brushed aluminum center console that just sticks out and doesnt flow at all with the rest of the interior. i also don't like the pop-up navigation, especially in 03-04 models.

the things they do well is drift and stop on a dime. those brakes are way too good for that car. they also tend to wear out alot sooner however.

also some 350z's had that tire eating issue so i'm not sure if that carried over to the infiniti as well, just something to consider i guess
Old 07-17-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I guess this may be put in the 'BS' category, but I dont think anyone mentioned this. There are a lot of G35 owners out there. And there are MANY varied reasons why someone would want 1. But in the S2K, this list is definately shorter. When I see a S2K, most of the time I think, ok this guy knows exactly why he bought the car. In the G35, it's up in the air. Owning a S2K is a privilege! Honda engineering at its best! G35 VQ is a nice engine and built fairly well, but it's in just about every freakin Nissan. Probably cut costs but it's not as 'special' anymore.
If sports car fun is a high priority, get the S2K. G35 is just damn heavy.... good for boulevard cruising (as a lot of G35 owners use it for). Could use the S2K for the same and save more gas while youre doing it! Some S2K owners actually get 30MPG (highway)! Also, b/c of it's weight, even if the VQ makes more power, it's got so much to lug around.

Last edited by CuRiOuSfIsH; 07-17-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-17-2006
Registered!!

xtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura aboutxtreme26 has a spectacular aura about
i think the s2000s look sexy. s2000 motor can hold a lot of boost on a stock bottom end so if your planning to boost the s2k, you really shouldn't have a lot of problems with proper tuning. im not sure how much boost the g35 can hold but i do know its a pretty rock solid motor. it just pretty much comes down to you, a sports car thats practical for everyday use, or a car thats more performance oriented that may not be the best choice for a daily driver.
Old 07-17-2006
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget that there's a radically redesigned g35 coming out next spring, if I got my rumors right. It's supposed to be a lot sexier than the current g35 coupe.
Old 07-17-2006
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Call me cynical, but at the end of the day I'll bet ncirom2003 won't buy either and will just stay with the civic, downgrade, or buy something in the civic's class. Most likely, he'll stay with the civic.

Heck, that's how 95% of these "which car should I buy" threads end up anyway.

The remaining 5% of the people that do switch cars, never post a thread about which car to choose. They just do it without a discussion and then whoops it's like overnight they have a new car and the old one is sold, much to the wonder and awe of everyone. Like the guy who got that red and black s2000 or Nitto? who got his silver g35.

But hey, ncirom2003, if you can beat the trend then more power to you, I say get the s2000, and when you want to take a few friends with you, then use your gf's car or someone else's.

Quick Reply: s2k vs. g35 (my next car, i cant decide)