General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Anyone ever heard of an Acid Bath?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrb420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone ever heard of an Acid Bath?

So, this guy who details cars told me that to get rid of the killer water spots on my car, he suggests an "acid bath". He says that will remove the spots and then, he will wash, polish and wax the car.

Does this sound legit? Anyone ever heard the term Acid Bath?
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
yea but I heard in on a ship, where they pump acid through evaporators to break up and wash out scale build up on the tubes
Old 05-30-2006
AKA e ViSion Socal 7thgen Photoman

OCNja is an unknown quantity at this point
only acid bath i know is the band
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
i know for industrial purposes "acid bath" is reference to putting/dipping mechanical parts into a parts washer/bin to get rid of oils/dirt/light corrosion. I only ever put heavy duty metals in there.

i havent heard 'acid bath' as a way of detailing tho.
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
He's talking about using distilled vinegar as an "acidic" substance to remove mineral deposits. Use 1 part vinegar and 1 part water. Read about it on the internet. Also check out www.autopia.org for more info on detailing your car.

Oh, and rep me foo!!!

Last edited by free_refil; 05-30-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

7GENCVC is an unknown quantity at this point
"Acid Wash"

It's legit. I was an auto detailer for 5 years back home. We "acid wash" the whole car including side and back windows BUT never on windshield. Every vehicle has a protective film on their windshield. When you "acid wash" your windshield, you'll be removing that protective film. Example, when you get into a head on colision or hit your windshield, it creates a web like look. Without the protective film on glass, it shatters your glass windows right through like your side/back windows. This process must be monitored carefully. You do'nt want to "etch" your paint or glass windows. When applying acid on roof top of vehicle, apply car wash soap on windshield to protect/prevent acid running down your windshield. Then wash down your car with water thourally.
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
What free_refill said, I also read it on autopia, you pay the detailer some handfull of money for them to put vinegar on your car and polish and wax job, that you could do yourself.
Old 05-30-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, but the whole thing could go south pretty fast if you don't know what you're doing/ haven't done it before. And it sounds like the consequences could be pretty steep.
Old 05-30-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that seems dangerous. do you think i took off the window coating using auto glass stripper stuff?
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 7GENCVC
It's legit. I was an auto detailer for 5 years back home. We "acid wash" the whole car including side and back windows BUT never on windshield. Every vehicle has a protective film on their windshield. When you "acid wash" your windshield, you'll be removing that protective film. Example, when you get into a head on colision or hit your windshield, it creates a web like look. Without the protective film on glass, it shatters your glass windows right through like your side/back windows. This process must be monitored carefully. You do'nt want to "etch" your paint or glass windows. When applying acid on roof top of vehicle, apply car wash soap on windshield to protect/prevent acid running down your windshield. Then wash down your car with water thourally.

are you sure we have a protectant coating on our windsheilds? to my knowledge, the reason why our windsheilds dont shatter is because theres a thin layer of clear plastic inbetween 2 sheets of glass...
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

free_refil will become famous soon enoughfree_refil will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
are you sure we have a protectant coating on our windsheilds? to my knowledge, the reason why our windsheilds dont shatter is because theres a thin layer of clear plastic inbetween 2 sheets of glass...
I don't believe there's any coating on the exterior of the windshield. But I have never really gotten water spots on the windshield, always on side and rear windows...