General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Evo8 vs. 350z??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006
DSM Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7m6m4 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
how would an EVO be a compromise over the 350z? They are about the same price. And stock for stock an EVO will beat a 350 in just about every raceing category like drag and auto-x, and I seriously doubt he is looking to do drifting but an EVO can even do that. IMO the 350z is a car for the wanna be tuner with money. As for you FATF comments look at the new one yup all about the 350z.
Evo, its all about those record breaking Evo's
Old 05-11-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I don't understand why everyone is so against admitting the Evo 8 is a bit ricey? I agree 100% that it's an amazing PERFORMING car, but as for looks its got that wanna-be-street-racer look to it. Its still a sedan with a big *** wing though.
I am not making a point on performance, its a spectacular car with that respect, but with the way it is styled is disappointing.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by diskreet
I don't understand why everyone is so against admitting the Evo 8 is a bit ricey? I agree 100% that it's an amazing PERFORMING car, but as for looks its got that wanna-be-street-racer look to it. Its still a sedan with a big *** wing though.
I am not making a point on performance, its a spectacular car with that respect, but with the way it is styled is disappointing.
agree!!

as for the big *** wing dont they have them 2 from where the oringally came from? i mean it fits the car...same crap as the sti and its wing..
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

boosting is an unknown quantity at this point
my cousin has the greddy TT setup on his 04 Z, to date its about 420hp to the wheels. He was one of the first people to have it. It went from 280ish I think to 420 so thats a 140hp gain.

now lets take the EVO that also has 280ish stock and drop that same 13grand into it. Well since its a more popular and I must say proven engine parts are alot cheaper and more avalible. You can completly build it run turbo, exhaust and fuel updrages as well. And easily get more than 420hp in an AWD car.
First off, the whp is only in the low 200s for the Evo. Second if youre worried about the cost of add ons, it depends on how fast you want to go. If your talking 12s or 11s then yes the evo is cheaper, but if you want to go 10s or faster then the Z is cheaper. Not to mention the initial price of a new version of the evo is a good 4-6gs more than the Z. So take that 4gs and go buy a TT setup. Thus same money spent on both = advantage Z. On top of that the Mitsu's are known for their problems around 40k mi. Zs are more solid.

The greddy TT kit is good to 450whp when tuned properly. The Z engine can produce up to 1200-1400hp, you could probably buy both a Z and an evo for the cost to get there though. As I said the potential for the Z is greater than the Evo.

Remember kids, "there's no replacement for displacement".
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
still think a EVO is better, however you wanna put it.

g35's are nicer then a 350, IMO
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

KINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to all
The EVO Has A Big Back Seat, Need I Say More...lol

Last edited by KINGCHILE; 05-11-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
the EVO's have always had the wing. Ive never seen an EVO I or II but i know from EVO III on they have had them. They serve a purpose to hold down the rearend and help in handeling. Same with the STi's. But if you want an EVO with no wing just get an RS. As for being a Sedan whats wrong with that? If makeing a sedan have power is rice then i guess most major car companies are gearing everything towards rice. Like the Mazdaspeed6, Volvo s80, Audi A4, and all kinds of other manufacturers. 4 doors are just more convienent and have better body structure than coupes. thats why they made the EVO a 4 door.
Old 05-11-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone else think the EVO is more childish and immature, while the 350z is a more sophisticated and grown-up car?

the EVO's have always had the wing. Ive never seen an EVO I or II but i know from EVO III on they have had them. They serve a purpose to hold down the rearend and help in handeling. Same with the STi's. But if you want an EVO with no wing just get an RS. As for being a Sedan whats wrong with that? If makeing a sedan have power is rice then i guess most major car companies are gearing everything towards rice. Like the Mazdaspeed6, Volvo s80, Audi A4, and all kinds of other manufacturers. 4 doors are just more convienent and have better body structure than coupes. thats why they made the EVO a 4 door.
Take the audi S4 or even RS4. They both are tremendously better cars than the evo. They both LOOK spectacular. The RS4 is in a league of its own, near Ferrari terrirory. But what? They have no wing.
See audi didn't comprimise looks for performance. They did both, because they make a better sports sedan.
I know the evo has a wing cause of its rally heritage, but that doesnt mean its nice looking.

Last edited by diskreet; 05-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

KINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to allKINGCHILE is a name known to all
Id Rather LIKE TO Be Able To Fit 4 Girls In My Car And Be Fast Too, Than Just One.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by KINGCHILE
Id Rather LIKE TO Be Able To Fit 4 Girls In My Car And Be Fast Too, Than Just One.
I wouldnt worry about that if I were you
Old 05-11-2006

Id rather pick up 1 hot woman. I'm not a pedophile, so girls don't do it for me.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Does anyone else think the EVO is more childish and immature, while the 350z is a more sophisticated and grown-up car?

Exactly! These guys are the Vin Diesel fans that have his posters up in their rooms and the fast and furious memorized.
Old 05-11-2006

Originally Posted by boosting
Exactly! These guys are the Vin Diesel fans that have his posters up in their rooms and the fast and furious memorized.
+rep
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

NOT REALLY, GIRLS/WOMEN ARE NOT THE SAME A KIDS. YOU CAN HAVE YOUR ONE WOMAN, ILL TAKE FOUR ANYDAY... HECK IM SURE I COULD HAVE MORE FUN IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE EVO THAN A 350Z... WAIT DOES IT EVEN HAVE ONE??? IM A MAN, I LIKE WOMEN, THE MORE THE BETTER, AND SINCE I HAVE NO PROBLEM HOOKING UP W/ MULTIPLE WOMEN/GIRLS CALL WHAT YOU WANT AND ONE TIME ILL DO IT.
Old 05-11-2006

Wait! Im not a stereotypical male. I would rather have 1 woman that has a good personality and looks good, than 4 hot women that are morons.
Sorry, my parents just raised me better than that.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

THATS A GOOD THING TO YOU. THANKS TO GUYS LIKE YOU I CAN BE THE THE STEREOTYPICAL GUY AND GET ALL THE GIRLS THAT ARE SINGLE AND MORONS. ITS ALL THE SAME TO ME. LESS MONEY TOO. TAKE THEM FOR A RIDE AND DROP'M OFF.
Old 05-11-2006

Well finding a woman worth spending your life with is near impossible. I want a family some day. I want a wife and kids. But women are so trained to not trust anyone, or even become ****s themselves, its nearly impossible to find this.
I am not pointing my finger at you, but if guys want to be better than stupid stereotypes, they ACTUALLY have to be better than the stereotypes.

I don't think its hard to find girls, its actually ridiculously easy, but its hard to find a girl worth being in a relationship with. And I like relationships, I like the support, getting my clothes washed, having food made for me, and so on. I don't mind actually respecting a woman if she does the same.

I have a ton of friends who are the same way about women as you, and most are just too macho to admit they want to connect to a woman on more than a purely sexual level, despite most of them wanting that. I don't know about you but this is my experience on this subject.

Last edited by diskreet; 05-11-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
weren't we talking about cars?

anyways, i'd go for the 350z.. it has a more sophisticated look to it. OR might even consider G35 if you really like deep-dish wheels... g35 coupe all black w/ deep dish .... thats a car worth drooling over
Old 05-11-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
ask yourself this one question. Who is the 350z geared to and who is the EVO geared to? The 350 is marketed towards middle aged men who want something sporty with decent performane. The EVO is an all out sports car greared towards anybody who wants a right out of the box performance car. the 350 has more crap to choose from then the EVO, but the EVO eats it alive in every category performance wise. It is a performance car made to be fast, nothign on it is on there except to make it faster. Where the 350z is just ment to be eye pleasing, and give its owner the fell of power when not really doing it. It is way over priced for what you get.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

drive_fast_dail has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The VIII had a lot of variation in the wing for USDM release. The RS original did not have a wing at all and still does not. The first model the carbon one was actually treated as an option and the normal VIII without it came with the normal lancers optional wing, which just looked totally wrong. Yeah the wing does look ridiculous, but the intent is that it creates some downforce, probably not really noticable, but that wing is actually an affective airfoil. The only way to make a wing work on a car that drops off like that is to make it ridiculously high. I personally could do without it.
I really dont find it a childish car. It looks a little over the top, but fast and the furious fans are busy trying to make a normal lancer looking like and evo, or something on that level of stupidness. Ive always been in the love with the car ever since I was young and first sat down and played GT2. And all through the driving simulator games you just have to appreciate how you can put it up to almost an car of equal price and it blows it away (except of course the Sti competitor). Id consider the evo unrefined as far as an everyday car, not childish.
Old 05-11-2006

ask yourself this one question. Who is the 350z geared to and who is the EVO geared to? The 350 is marketed towards middle aged men who want something sporty with decent performane. The EVO is an all out sports car greared towards anybody who wants a right out of the box performance car. the 350 has more crap to choose from then the EVO, but the EVO eats it alive in every category performance wise. It is a performance car made to be fast, nothign on it is on there except to make it faster. Where the 350z is just ment to be eye pleasing, and give its owner the fell of power when not really doing it. It is way over priced for what you get.

You definitely have a good point about who the Z is marketed to, but I do feel that the Evo is geared more toward a young crowd.
I don't think the Z is priced poorly either. Its a great car for the price. It's not supposed to be an all out sports car. Its a sports car with some luxury and refinement. That I guess is the major difference. I would give up a tiny bit of performance for a little luxury (dont think I want a luxury car, no way).
The Z, at least in my opinion, has a good presence too. When I am around an Evo I am thinking "Oh. Another evo." But around a Z I am like "Thats a nice car." maybe its me, but what I am saying is all opinion so there is no wrong or right.
Old 05-11-2006
7thgens official a$$hole

ok so lets sum this whole thread up and make it easier to decide

350z
Sports luxury with convertable option
V6 thats hard to work on
reliable car
easy to find a good used one
RWD

EVO
Sports Sedan thats total perfromance
Easy to modify
Proven engine
Hard to find a good used one
AWD

Both cars are nice, I would choose a G35 over a 350z just purly on looks, but EVO is my choice because of its 4doors and AWD.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
The Z, at least in my opinion, has a good presence too. When I am around an Evo I am thinking "Oh. Another evo." But around a Z I am like "Thats a nice car." maybe its me, but what I am saying is all opinion so there is no wrong or right.
it's vice versa for me only b/c i dont see many evo8s

\
Both cars are nice, I would choose a G35 over a 350z just purly on looks, but EVO is my choice because of its 4doors and AWD.

Last edited by 02cvcEX; 05-11-2006 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02cvcEX
it's vice versa for me only b/c i dont see many evo8s

The reason you dont see many evo8s for sale is because they didnt sell that many. And the fact that whoever bought them would lose a ton on depreciation. And the fact that most of the people who can afford them are the "older" crowd and most of them would rather have a refined Z.

The evo is marketed to the younger crowd. Next time you see one, look whos driving it as compared to the Z owners. And the evo has issues due in part to having little to work with from the beginning.

Heres an article on one in a 40,000 mi test.
http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...tion-viii.html
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
I have the simplest answer for you...

350z is better built and will have a better resale value
Evo will be fast.

You decide....
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Evo vs. 350z
.4 faster 0-60 (partly attributed to the 200 lbs less)
1 faster in the quarter
4-6 grand more
marketed to the fast and furious crowd
useless spoiler
Old 05-11-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
evo is junk. you get ina crash w/ an evo your DEAD. atlest 350 is somewhat safe unlike the evo.

r32
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

screw it and get a wrx
Old 05-11-2006
DSM Lover

7m6m4 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by spoonJDMlX
evo is junk. you get ina crash w/ an evo your DEAD. atlest 350 is somewhat safe unlike the evo.

r32
wow, hahaha!!!! thats a lie! Show me some proof! I have had a friend flip his 2004 Red Evo 8 6 times and still walk out with only a few cuts. I have also had another friend crash his evo twice w/ 16,000 dollars in damage and he wasn't hurt, both times.

Originally Posted by boosting
Evo vs. 350z
.4 faster 0-60 (partly attributed to the 200 lbs less)
1 faster in the quarter
4-6 grand more
marketed to the fast and furious crowd
useless spoiler
Marketed torward the fast and furious crowd??? Since when do 16 year old kids have 35g's to spend on a car. Also you need to get your facts straight, the average driver of an evo is anywhere from 25-35 years old. Also a majority of evo's sold are bought for its notorious track reputation. Not because it looks like a rice rocket. Actually, go buy a 350z and put a twin turbo on it, and we'll race. This'll be fun.

ohh yeah, useless spoiler? Don't like it, take it off. People do that all the time. Just less downforce for you.

Last edited by 7m6m4; 05-11-2006 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

sonicnofadz is an unknown quantity at this point
The 350z is a boring car. What is so special about a naturally aspirated V6 rear wheel drive car? You might as well just buy a new mustang (at least it has more power). The Evo accelerates, stops, and turns faster than the 350z and costs about the same. The Evo is already turbocharged and the stock engine is strong enough to hold up to 500 HP which means it is VERY easy to make it fast (i.e. turn up the boost and throw in some race gas) where with the 350z you will have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars just for a turbo/supercharger kit. Even after you have spent alot of money on the 350z it will still not be able to get any grip (due to the two wheel drive). The only thing that I like about the Z is it's weight distribution (almost 50/50). The Evo is pretty much superior to the Z in every way imaginable (from a racing standpoint). Alot of you kids in here are very, very, VERY misinformed about the Evo, and automobiles in general. Please make sure you indeed know what you are talking about before you give out advice or a recommendation.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; 05-11-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo8 vs. 350z??