General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Got a New Job, Getting a New Car, Jetta?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
Got a New Job, Getting a New Car, Jetta?

Hey Guys -

Was wondering what you guys think of the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T. I can't find a forum out there...wanting to get something with a Turbo(stock), but want to make sure that it is reliable too...and trying to stay under 30k...any ideas??
Old 01-30-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
get the new golf GTI
Old 01-30-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
get a wrx or a legacy
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
I personally dont trust anything Volkswagen makes. The Jetta is such an unreliable car. At least the style before the current one was. The Jetta was the most traded in vehicle for 2003-2005 I believe also. Keep lookin, or get a new Si
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Im with MajinB, go with a WRX or legacy.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

Pedro Lopes is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't get a jetta. Volkswagens aren't made like they used to be. They are so unreliable. Your better off with a dodge SRT4 even though their ugly. Anyway good luck with your choice.
Old 01-30-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

jknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the roughjknudsen is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for all the help guys, i was sort of leaning towards a WRX...i...i think the new civic Si is nice, but i want turbo right out of the parking lot..don't want to have to worry about paying a tuner to help me get anything right, and can't afford to have my car down for the weekend as I will be using this as a daily driver...200 posts!!! whooop!
Old 01-30-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
WRX also.... Cobb Tuning Aceesport stage 1 300 ft/lbs..... enough said....
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

simplicated1979 will become famous soon enoughsimplicated1979 will become famous soon enough
wrx all the way...
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

RangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the rough
Agree with all that was said or most - stay away from VW, at least jetta.

These models earned ratings Most and Least reliable in Consumer Reports' 2004 reliability survey - small cars
I do like the 2006 looks of the Jetta - its a new model wait till squeeks are out. I'd pick Acura if anything.

Most reliable
Toyota Corolla
Scion xB
Honda Civic
Mazda3
Subaru Impreza
Toyota Echo
Mitsubishi Lancer (except Evo)

Least reliable - hrrrmmmm VW eh?
Volkswagen New Beetle
Volkswagen Jetta (turbo)
Volkswagen Golf (turbo)

I didn't buy my Acura for no reason - read CONSUMER REPORTS magazine, when shopping for cars.

Further note - Stick with Japan made cars, Subaru being one of them.

Last edited by RangerMan; 01-30-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
When I bought my civic it was a toss up between civic or jetta. Then I looked at the cost of ownership and I realized I would need to have 1k on hand at all times to fix the problems. They all burn oil and they all have electrical problems.
Old 01-30-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
New Golf GTI is mean. Get that if you're interested in a VW.

And from what I've seen, it's the crap model VWs that have issues. My dad's Jetta GLi has had 1 recall that took a couple hours to fix. Other than that, it's a great car. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of problems with the standard model Jettas and Golfs.
Old 01-30-2006
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Originally Posted by RangerMan
Further note - Stick with Japan made cars, Subaru being one of them.
yeah, literally, the WRX is built in Japan and no where else!
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

me2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
get the VW R32, its got V6 DOHC and AWD, I know its not avaible in canada, but its probaly in the states. From what i read it has 240 hp, should be fun to drive.
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
The R32 is expensive, hard to come by and ultimately, not -that- great, its a bit heavy..theres a lot of interesting boost options for it though

Stay away from VW, I used to own a '97 Golf and had innumerable bad experiences/problems with it, engine was okay, but everything electric in that car screwed up at some point or other. Stick with things made in Japanese, if you're gonna go European, make sure the car is made -in- Europe (ie: Audi/BMW/MB).
Old 01-30-2006
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
stock turbo under 30k? ...dayum u have a lot of options if you choose not to have "TURBO" . New Accords are real nice and FAST n/a / Acura TL is a real nice car (33k) / BMW 325i with xanon Headlights/leather/ few other options (33k). =) If not any of these, go with WRX (25k?) no VW
Old 01-31-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

i appreciate all of your input...i see the Jetta was redesigned for 2006, wonder if this model will carry on the legacy of all of the previous problems before...the problem is, my wife loves the way it looks, and hates the way a WRX looks ( she says it looks cheap, and wanted to know if you were supposed to pour rice into the hood scoop)...lol I really want a turbo car, as i love the feeling of the turbo spooling up and kicking in to full boost.....
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

Spracto is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL dude screw what your wife thinks she'll appreciate the WRX alot more when she's not stuck on the side of the highway with traffic flying by in the rain while she waits on the triple A truck.

didn't mean to rip on your wife but i'm not a fan of jettas or VW in general. WRX all the way.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
Volvo or Saab.
Old 01-31-2006
I hope I offend you... Get mad

Slow Gold will become famous soon enoughSlow Gold will become famous soon enough
WRX's sound like garbage too.
Old 01-31-2006
Registered!!

RangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the roughRangerMan is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jknudsen
i appreciate all of your input...i see the Jetta was redesigned for 2006, wonder if this model will carry on the legacy of all of the previous problems before...the problem is, my wife loves the way it looks, and hates the way a WRX looks ( she says it looks cheap, and wanted to know if you were supposed to pour rice into the hood scoop)...lol I really want a turbo car, as i love the feeling of the turbo spooling up and kicking in to full boost.....
Women will be biased at first with looks as they can see 30% more colors then us men. I remember when I sold computers, a women would not by a certain scanner because it did not match the systems color. Just dump some sense into her, women can be persauded easily, letting her know that Subaru is better resale, relaible etc, a "logical" choice.

Last edited by RangerMan; 01-31-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2006
Don't Let Your Future Be Destroyed By My Past...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRANX is a glorious beacon of lightTRANX is a glorious beacon of lightTRANX is a glorious beacon of lightTRANX is a glorious beacon of lightTRANX is a glorious beacon of lightTRANX is a glorious beacon of light
since i have a vw i would say go with the jetta (i have 37k miles on her and no problems so far!) ..... here are a couple of shots of the MK4 and the MK5.... they both look good but for some reason the new style hasnt grow on me..... neways good luck with your choice...

Last edited by TRANX; 01-31-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-31-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
dude everyone knows chicks don't care if the car is good quality. they just want a nice lookin car. the VW is gonna bust on you, suck oil into the turbo and screw up more than you can count. but the ugly WRX will last you. thats like picking between a nice shell of a car with no motor, or a junk body with a brand new motor. easy choice. like shes gonna drive the thing anyway
Old 01-31-2006
MAVS FAN 4EVER

I completely understand what you guys are saying about the build quality vs. looks. Was wondering also if i could sneak a gently used(60k or less miles) M3 in for under 30k...what do you guys think, we are going to pay the civic off, and then i could wait longer and save more and maybe get up to that 30k mark...ive browsed ebay and not finding much that fits into this range...seems like most of those cars have almost 100k miles on them and they still want over 30k...
Old 02-01-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dre2600
The R32 is expensive, hard to come by and ultimately, not -that- great, its a bit heavy..theres a lot of interesting boost options for it though

Stay away from VW, I used to own a '97 Golf and had innumerable bad experiences/problems with it, engine was okay, but everything electric in that car screwed up at some point or other. Stick with things made in Japanese, if you're gonna go European, make sure the car is made -in- Europe (ie: Audi/BMW/MB).

vw is made in mexico, thats the funny thing, but the new r32s and GTIs are actually made in germany....so whats your point?
Old 02-01-2006
Registered!!

owens76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to www.vwvortex.com it is a website much like this one but it is for VW's. You will be able to answer all of your questions by searching the site a bit.
Old 02-01-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
well obviously they'll saw vws are good cars....ask a honda owner what they think about VWs and aska vw owner what they think about hondas, 2 different answers. i rather havea vw than a car made of plastic...honda.
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

anibal is an unknown quantity at this point
All these cars are turbo and you can get them for about ~$30,000, do some research about them and pick the ones that fits your criteria better.
Subaru Legacy GT
Subaru WRX
Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan
Mazdaspeed 6
Dodge Neon SRT4
Mitsubishi Evo IX
Volvo S40
Volvo S60
VW Jetta 2.0T, GLi
VW GTi
Audi A4 2.0T
Old 02-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by anibal
All these cars are turbo and you can get them for about ~$30,000, do some research about them and pick the ones that fits your criteria better.
Subaru Legacy GT
Subaru WRX
Saab 9-3 Sports Sedan
Mazdaspeed 6
Dodge Neon SRT4
Mitsubishi Evo IX
Volvo S40
Volvo S60
VW Jetta 2.0T, GLi
VW GTi
Audi A4 2.0T
I like the looks of the Saab - def unique car. Volvo's..also like. But stick with Subaru, highest rated in that list.
Old 02-03-2006
I hope I offend you... Get mad

Slow Gold will become famous soon enoughSlow Gold will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by spoonJDMlX
well obviously they'll saw vws are good cars....ask a honda owner what they think about VWs and aska vw owner what they think about hondas, 2 different answers. i rather havea vw than a car made of plastic...honda.
Well it's obvious youve never had to work on a VW. They are the cheapest most slapped together german made **** backwards P.O.S.'s ive ever had to work on. You always need some **** tool to do something simple. Not to mention the fact that there notorious for blowing up head gaskets. Read some consumer reports on them then decide what you would rather have.

Quick Reply: Got a New Job, Getting a New Car, Jetta?