General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Connecting Rod Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tibumarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting Rod Bearing

HI! Does anybody know what type of OEM connecting rods should I get for my 02 D17A2?, because they are made in different colors. Which colors should I get?
Old 01-23-2006
Registered!!

I mean the connecting rod bearings.
Old 01-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You mean like they come in brass, and copper and nickel, or you mean they're red, blue or green?
Motor internals tend to require a little more elaboration that that
There should only be one kind of Honda rod bearing unless they made a design update, in which case the parts counter should only be selling the newest design revision.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

They are made in blue, black, brown, green, yellow, pink and red.
Old 01-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
God bless the internet. 23 seconds on google and I found it. There's a code of numbers and letters on the rods and the crank. They match to a table which Honda has, which corresponds to the matching color coded set of bearings, they order the proper color bearings. So get the numbers and call Honda.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-24-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

I called Honda today and they told me I have to take a look at the rod bearings to know which colors I need. And I was on the process in taking everything apart from the oil pan, but I just can't seperate the connecting rods. This is my daily driving so I really need to fix this car asap.
Old 01-24-2006
Registered!!

I was reading another thread about a spun rod bearing. I think my car has the same problem. It has a knocking sound at idling. My car is well maintain and even with synthetic oil, no nitrous or turbo. Does this cars have engine problems from the factory?
Old 01-25-2006
K-DUB

Touge Whore is an unknown quantity at this point
The knock you here is the spun bearing, but it should not really stop after idle. My car drove from a local canyon all the way home, yet made almost no power. I ended up spinning the bearing on my D17a2 as well; however, this was from rather aggressive cornering. I had lost oil pressure because I hadn't kept up on my oil changes, so I was rather low on oil. I don't know how you could have possibly spun a bearing without some hard driving on that beast of a motor. It should be fun replacing those. Best of luck!

Last edited by Touge Whore; 01-25-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by tibumarine
I called Honda today and they told me I have to take a look at the rod bearings to know which colors I need. And I was on the process in taking everything apart from the oil pan, but I just can't seperate the connecting rods. This is my daily driving so I really need to fix this car asap.
Well you're going to have to take the entire motor out of the car. You can't do it by dropping the pan out the bottom. The crank, etc... all needs to come out and you'll need some machine work done.
I would just advise you to take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt for you. Especially if its essential that you have the car done right as quickly as possible.
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

I just took out all rod bearings today and it seems to be that only one was causing the knocking at idling. Sometimes I drove aggressively but always change my oil every 3000 miles with synthetic and K&N filter, and never used nitrous or turbo. At this point I am dissapointed because I thought this engines were great, but what I'm seen is not like that.
Old 01-25-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for the help!