General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

8th gen Coupe = Slow...7th gen rocks!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Happy B-day Amy!
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

MSPRO is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the b-day wishes guys ..

The 8th gen is nice and seems kinda more updated, but I still like the 7th gen too
Old 09-29-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aki
I don't get it--you're comparing a stock econocar with 140HP with your 200HP car with Stage 3 clutch--and you were expecting the Civic to be better? Of course the civic will feel slow, that's not even a remotely fair comparison. Not understanding how people can expect non-Si trim cars to be quick. They're not meant to be. They're supposed to be cars with good fuel economy that go from point A to point B without any hitches.

Plus, 15 HP and increased displacement does much more than an increase of 200lbs. By employing such simplistic "lighter is better" logic, that should mean a 05 Civic LX would then beat out a Scion Tc (160hp, 2900lbs). If you think such is the case, I'd highly suggest you floor a Tc and see how it will rip the pants off of the lighter 2005 Civic LX. Just because a car gets heavier doesn't mean it gets slower.
your comparison isn't really valid.
Now you're comparing a car that weighs 2600 lbs with 115 HP to a car with 160 HP that weighs 2900 lbs.
So you're looking at 22.5 vs 18.75 lbs/ HP
140 HP in a 2900 lb car amounts to 20.71 which is equal to the power to weight of the 7th gen EX.... having not seen the gearing in the new one but believing, given the EPA economy numbers, they're on the long side, but equal power to weight in a heavier car is a pretty compelling argument that the 8th gen would feel sluggish compared to the 7th gen. All honda did was add enough power to account for the additional heft. But as heft goes up, the nimble feeling of a light car tends to go away.
No one said lighter is better. What I said was 250 lbs (yes, the new one tips the scale at about 2900 which is why the SI is no faster than the 2000 Si) outweighs the 10 horsepower they added, which it does. I don't expect to see any performance increase in anything but maybe gas milage.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 09-29-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

So yeah drove an 06 WRX tuner ready editon a few mins ago... Still like the 7th gen lol ok the wrx was a little more fun lol
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

ritalin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by MSPRO
So yeah drove an 06 WRX tuner ready editon a few mins ago... Still like the 7th gen lol ok the wrx was a little more fun lol
A little?
Old 09-29-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I'm not necessarily surprised you say its slow, it gained 250 lbs and 10 HP... that doesn't help the power/weight

Yeah, been when comaring auto to auto, the 8thgen should still have the advantage because it now has a 5 speed auto. The '04 auto my fiance and I have (that is stock) is far slower than the '06 we drove. The DBW system is put in place to save gas and keep you out of trouble when turning and taking off, I personally don't care for it all that much, but it does have a nice side to in helping MPG.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
the thing i like about the 8th gen is the drive belt linked to the genorator. from the pics i've seen, it looks to be like two inches wide. bet if you balanced the engine well enough, you could easely rip the engine into the 13-14000 rpm range!! i love the sound of a supe-high reving honda engine!
Old 09-29-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Yeah, been when comaring auto to auto, the 8thgen should still have the advantage because it now has a 5 speed auto. The '04 auto my fiance and I have (that is stock) is far slower than the '06 we drove. The DBW system is put in place to save gas and keep you out of trouble when turning and taking off, I personally don't care for it all that much, but it does have a nice side to in helping MPG.
really? i thought my 7thgen auto was much faster (at least it felt that way) and I only have 10whp over stock. That new tranny feels like something's wrong with it.
Old 09-29-2005
sometimes i pee when i laugh

sivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to beholdsivikchik is a splendid one to behold
i dunno - i call bullshit
Old 09-29-2005
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
i dunno.. i got to putter around the parkinglot (at 30-40mph ) in the 5speed 06 coupe.. it was nice compared to my 02 auto sedan.. but then i took the 5speed 05 accord coupe out on the road.. .and ive gutta say.. i liked that a LOT more than the civic..

the next year is gunna be tuff.. do i save my pennies and do an all out engine/tranny swap.. or do i trade in my civic with a lil extra and get a used accord... its gunna be a tuff call.. either way the 8thgen.. just aint doin it for me
Old 09-29-2005
iwu
Registered!!

iwu is an unknown quantity at this point
0-60 in 8.2 is slow for an economy coupe?

what's the time on the 7th gen EX again?

... ya thought so

Last edited by iwu; 09-29-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2005
iwu
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Sujak
Well this makes me feel better for getting a 7th gen, instead of a 8th gen ( im also impatient!)
no dude.. don't let the biased jelousy of a 7th gen owner sway your purchase decision, 8th gen is a better car all around, go to vtec.net and read what they have to say, then read every other website on earth that reviews cars... 8th gen is just a better car

people want to feel good about their cars, so naturally someone saying one car is better than another is going to be met with hostility, especially when it's the newer version of the same car.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MSPRO
whats the tuner ready edition? i know it sounds self-explanatory, but are there any differences between that and the regular WRX?
Old 09-29-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
No one said lighter is better. What I said was 250 lbs (yes, the new one tips the scale at about 2900 which is why the SI is no faster than the 2000 Si) outweighs the 10 horsepower they added, which it does. I don't expect to see any performance increase in anything but maybe gas milage.
We were comparing 2006 LX with 2005 LX, Si is a different story.

So instead of lighter is better, what you're saying is performance = HP/LBS? Again, your analysis is too simplistic. Simply looking and horsepower numbers and weight doesn't tell the whole story at all. Greater displacement gives the Si better low-end torque than the 00 Si. Not to mention the LSD, which helps address the understeer inherent in FWD cars in curves. Not to mention the six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios that keeps the engine more in the optimal RPM range.

By such superficial rationale, the R32 GT-R is better than the R34 because it's a) lighter, b) same HP (or at least so Nissan says it is--R34 HP is prob closer to 300). Yet the R34 outperforms the R32.

Yes the car will feel heavier--but performance-wise it's still an improvement. And performance doesn't simply mean 0-60, 1/4 mile; it's the whole package.
Old 09-29-2005
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I drove an ex coupe mnl today also i think the car had good HP but 2 things i did notice is hesatation between shift but also you dont relize how smooth it is so it may seem slower but after just shifting into 4th i was doing almost 90 i was like dam and slowed down but of course i will wait till the SI comes out
Old 09-29-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Oh God... the third page was so full of technical stuff my eyes closed by themselves.

Or is it that I'm tired?
I dunno.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

ritalin has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Did your brain explode through your nose?
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic426
whats the tuner ready edition? i know it sounds self-explanatory, but are there any differences between that and the regular WRX?
WRX TR sedan deletes from WRX
TR= Tuner Ready, a new model for 2006

delete from WRX sedan
Delete: Performance Design front seats
Replace with Sport Design front seats with active headrests
Delete: Premium stereo CD changer, 6 upgraded speakers
Replace with single disc, 4 speakers
Delete: Automatic Climate Control
Replace with standard air conditioning
Delete: Fog lights
Replace with STi type covers
Delete: Body colored outside mirrors
Replace with black folding mirrors
Delete: Leather shift **** and Leather parking brake handle.
Replace with polyurethane
Delete: chromed inner door handles Replace with black door handles
Delete: rear cupholders
Delete: map pocket on passenger seat

thats what it has. Its basically stripped down b.c they think tuners will change all that stuff out anyways. It had a $24,620 price tag for this edition

For more info check out http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2006.html
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

wow, they renamed the STi...now its the STI (with a capital I). lol
Old 09-30-2005
iwu
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aki
We were comparing 2006 LX with 2005 LX, Si is a different story.

So instead of lighter is better, what you're saying is performance = HP/LBS? Again, your analysis is too simplistic. Simply looking and horsepower numbers and weight doesn't tell the whole story at all. Greater displacement gives the Si better low-end torque than the 00 Si. Not to mention the LSD, which helps address the understeer inherent in FWD cars in curves. Not to mention the six-speed transmission with closer gear ratios that keeps the engine more in the optimal RPM range.

By such superficial rationale, the R32 GT-R is better than the R34 because it's a) lighter, b) same HP (or at least so Nissan says it is--R34 HP is prob closer to 300). Yet the R34 outperforms the R32.

Yes the car will feel heavier--but performance-wise it's still an improvement. And performance doesn't simply mean 0-60, 1/4 mile; it's the whole package.
Correct, laws of physics say that the car isn't fighting the same amount of force generated by mass at all times, momentum is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-30-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
really? i thought my 7thgen auto was much faster (at least it felt that way) and I only have 10whp over stock. That new tranny feels like something's wrong with it.
You may only 10 more hp, but I bet your car has better better throttle reaspose, compared to the stock one my fiance drives. I don't really see how the car can be slower, it's got more gears Same thing happend to the Accords, the previous generation had 4 gear auto's and where considered slow, current ones have the 5 gear auto are considered far faster. I could feel the DBW system kicking in little when you floor the car it limited power to conserve fuel and prevent tire spin I think, but am not sure, may be it is just lacking *****. But it seemed to me to be an okay car, not much faster than the 7thgens, but certianly not much slower. Keep in mind we drove an LX, which is lighter than the EX with the same power. (I test drove one a few days ago too, so now both my fiance and I have drove one.)
Old 10-03-2005
iwu
Registered!!

I can lay down a ton of rubber in the manual
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Newnewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, but i agree with MSPRO

I had really high hopes for the 8th gen, went for a test drive and came out disappointed. I drove a lx coupe in auto, and i have to say, it doesn't impress me at all. I not saying this from a jealous point of view, cuz i honnestly was thinking of buying one, but after the test drive it drove me away. The dbw system was, i think, the worst step honda took in the new civic, because it feels like a on/off switch. I have driven other cars with dbw systems, but this one was far more like a switch. When you floor the accelerator, the car doesn't jerk at all, just smooth acceleration. I'm thinking honda did this to reduce wheel spin and save gas, but it doesn't feel fast. Honestly, this car is faster then the 7th gen, but only in a straight line, cuz the tuning for corners sucks. I think the suspension is good, but have unmatched tires. I throw the car in a right turn at about 47km, and all it did was slide out, funny, cuz the front tire slide, but no a hint of sound, interesting, i checked the tire, anyone have input for a eagle RSa. I did the same corner in my own car afterwards, ok, a lot more tire squick, but still it gripped the ground more. I'm thinking honda cut the cost somewhere. I have to admit, the car was refined. The car was a lot quieter, and a lot smoother, but a lot less tossible. I know many will say this is bs, but test drive and you will notice what i'm saying.
Old 10-04-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
exactly how I felt, I never wanna drive it again. I got in my 7thgen and wanted to drive forever (when I first bought the car).
Old 10-04-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
doesnt it make a difference if the engine and tranny arent broken in yet?
Old 10-04-2005
Premium Member

yea, but that isn't really gonna affect power that much. maybe a few hp. Its still gonna have that computer control feel to it. I didn't even floor it and I still felt like something is wrong. It feels like there is alot of restriction like there's a plastic bag over the intake almost. When you sit inside even the car is overpowering.
Old 10-05-2005
iwu
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Newnewbie
I had really high hopes for the 8th gen, went for a test drive and came out disappointed. I drove a lx coupe in auto, and i have to say, it doesn't impress me at all. I not saying this from a jealous point of view, cuz i honnestly was thinking of buying one, but after the test drive it drove me away. The dbw system was, i think, the worst step honda took in the new civic, because it feels like a on/off switch. I have driven other cars with dbw systems, but this one was far more like a switch. When you floor the accelerator, the car doesn't jerk at all, just smooth acceleration. I'm thinking honda did this to reduce wheel spin and save gas, but it doesn't feel fast. Honestly, this car is faster then the 7th gen, but only in a straight line, cuz the tuning for corners sucks. I think the suspension is good, but have unmatched tires. I throw the car in a right turn at about 47km, and all it did was slide out, funny, cuz the front tire slide, but no a hint of sound, interesting, i checked the tire, anyone have input for a eagle RSa. I did the same corner in my own car afterwards, ok, a lot more tire squick, but still it gripped the ground more. I'm thinking honda cut the cost somewhere. I have to admit, the car was refined. The car was a lot quieter, and a lot smoother, but a lot less tossible. I know many will say this is bs, but test drive and you will notice what i'm saying.
Well I won't say it's BS because of what you say, maybe you felt something different on the throttle than I can feel but I drive it daily and I can't feel any difference at all.

As far as the handling goes, I'm afraid you are just incorrect there, torsional rigidity on the frame alone is up 35% from 7th gen. Beyond that there are other significant upgrades like the sway bars etc. One of Honda's claims is that this car handles better than the previous gen... you are going to somehow deny this claim and prove them wrong?

The car handles differently, so your point of entry and angle of attack might be different in the same corner for both cars, but you can pretty much bank on an 8th gen being faster. I know it's pretty tough to face considering a lot of 7th gen owners spent their hard earned money on their cars and they really really like them, and I'm not here to say "may car is better nya nya", but I was interested in what 7th gen owners thought which is why I made an account. Most people are pretty honest about the car, but when I read things like what you wrote it just seems like you aren't giving it a fair shake because of some extreme bias.
Old 10-05-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
im sure if we could find a way for this thing to breath better (I/H/E/turbo) we will find that the possibilities are there just waiting to be unlocked... i DOubt MUgen decided to attack this platform because it was weak! we will see>>>>
Old 10-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
Opinions Opinions Opinions ... this is a 7thgen civic board =)
Now to get a fair shake let me head over to 8thgen civic board. See what the reviews are over there =) let me guess ? total opposite reviews ..
Old 10-07-2005
iwu
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AntiLoop
Opinions Opinions Opinions ... this is a 7thgen civic board =)
Now to get a fair shake let me head over to 8thgen civic board. See what the reviews are over there =) let me guess ? total opposite reviews ..
Or how about just read what professional reviewers and magazines are saying.

Quick Reply: 8th gen Coupe = Slow...7th gen rocks!!!!