General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

does anyone else get shocked when exiting their civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pongster is an unknown quantity at this point
I get shocked too, esp. when the air is really dry and not too humid. Hurts like hell. What I do now is after I exit the car and before I close the door, I touch the ground with both hands (helps to ground all the static). So far it has worked really well. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2002
Ms. Moderator

SimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to allSimplySLB is a name known to all
I think I am gonna try the key thing cause the shocks are just gettin on my nerves!
Old 01-29-2002
Civic Gurlies
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

HondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the rough
It happens to me too but i don't really care. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

2Hondaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a solution that doesn't require touching a key to the metal. I'm the type that doens't even touch the paint on the car cause I can't stand fingerprints. When exiting the car, open the door, slide your left leg (or right for passengers) out of the door allowing it to touch the rocker panel and slide the leg against it until your foot touches the ground. Then stand up and exit as usual. I had to devise a way to get out without getting shocked because my car does it all year round, and I even live in FL where it's warm. Try my method, you don't have to touch a key to your paintjob anywhere, and you won't get shocked. I tried alot of other ways, but this works like a charm and I'll bet you will all thank me for it. I know it's not just me who has hesitated to get out after turning the car off because subliminaly you knew the shock was coming! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2002
Ultimate OG Member

TopFuel will become famous soon enough

<< It happens to me too but i don't really care. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] >>

sure.....thats waht you say now but it buggs..how do we fix it
Old 01-29-2002
Civic Gurlies

HondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the roughHondaChic is a jewel in the rough
Haha topfuel....truthfully i don't care. It happens to me all the time. Especially when i park in my garage. I'm always getting shocked. Sure its a little annoying but oh well.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

01LX is an unknown quantity at this point
It has a lot to do with the weather. I live in Los Angeles, and it has been quite dry, except for Sunday.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

BamBam is an unknown quantity at this point
There seems to be an unusual static electricity issue with the 7th gen Civics. The electric shocks that so many of us feel when getting out of the car is one aspect of the problem.

Another aspect of static electricity that I often experience is road dust abnormally clinging to the sides of my freshly cleaned car, after a mere 3 block ride.

With its dark blue color, my 2002 LX quickly gathers heavy dust showing the normally almost invisible streaks left by my chamois. And believe me, it IS chronic !

I know I live in the country, but my EX 93, which was almost of the same color, never had these static dust gathering problems.

Maybe when I givemy car its first wax this spring will resolve the issue. We'll see.

BamBam
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

CivicGrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah i get shocked too but like it doesn't bother me either.............
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
i get shocked all the time getting out, doesnt bother me much though
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

oatmeal is an unknown quantity at this point
haha ..i thought i was the only one...i usually close the door by pushing the window now..since it always shock me...why does it do that....none of my other car do [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Me and my gf allways get shocked if we touch the black plastic on the door.
Old 01-30-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
lol guys, I have that same problem. usually in the winter, because there's less humidity. but listen, there's an easy solution! when you're getting out of your car, stay in the seat, open the door, reach up and grab the top black metal part of the door's window frame, and get out of your seat by kinda pulling yourself up. that way, any static you work up when getting out of the seat will immediately discharge [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] I've never gotten shocked since. except for the times I forgot, but I'm so used to doing it now it only comes natural, even in the summer, hehe. and it doesn't make you look like a nerd [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually....it didn't used to bother me either, but now it does, because
it happens every freakin' time I get out. I think it is a problem with these Civics, because
I drive my GF's 2001 Accord all the time and never get shocked, same shoes and everything.
This may seem lame, but I think Honda should pay for the rubber strap things that will make
this problem go away. But anyways, I could really do without it.....Would I trade my car in because of it...No, but
it still pisses me off !!!!!!
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

speed werx is an unknown quantity at this point
yea...... its funny, my GF gets shocked aLLLLLLLL the time, its funny, i never do hehehe[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i do all the time... even when i just turn off the car and me and my girlfriend are chillin inside, then we try to kiss, our lips get shocked... lol
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
That ish pi$$es me off!! I swear, everytime I get out and reach to close the door, the damn thing shocks the crap out of me. I've tried numerous things like grounding myself to the ground while touching the car and getting out, but didn't work... Anyone have a solution? I'm not too versed in the study of static electricty...
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

JDQuikCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not a good idea to grab the top frame of your door cause doing that, over time will warp the hinge on the door and then it won't latch on properly. I did that on my accord for about a year to the point where it would not close and I'd have to lift it to close it. That sucked...........
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
MexieuS hit the nail on the head! That plan has never let me down yet!

(although JDQuikCivic has a point, i dunno if i'd literally pull myself out, i just touch some sheet metal before gettin my [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] outa the seat)
Old 01-30-2002
AJ
Registered!!

AJ is an unknown quantity at this point
That is funny it happens to me every time. I hate it last week four people were getting out of my car and they all got shocked it was so funny to hear them all yipe.
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

pimpedcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< It happens to me too but i don't really care.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] >>

thats because your into that kind stuff HondaChic[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

BluBttrflie is an unknown quantity at this point

<< yea...... its funny, my GF gets shocked aLLLLLLLL the time, its funny, i never do hehehe[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] >>

yeah grr to that hun. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG] I DO get shocked all the time gettin' out of the car and it buggs the HECK out of me!! Sometimes it's so bad that Greg can SEE it across the top of the car! WTF is up with THAT??!!??
Old 01-30-2002
Registered!!

just hit something metal with your knuckle... you cant really feel it... if you can thats one hell of a shock[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]lol but yeah thats what i do
Old 01-31-2002
Eee Tee Too (Ess DoubleU)

Strebor is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know, I just don't get shocked. And no one that rides with me gets shocked. I live in Hawaii, so if it does have something to do with the weather, then that's why I don't get shocked.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

j0nblayz is an unknown quantity at this point
my girl gets shocked everytime, doesn't matter who gets out of the car first, she gets shocked, she at the point where she is scared to leave my car, she makes me open the door first, but she still gets shocked... sometime i can see the shock at night time.. heh.. this happens everytime i leave my friend 95 civic also.. anyone find a way to fix this yet?
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

vtechin is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually guys I have that rubber thing and it does nothing for the static electricity. I still get zapped. Doesn't effect the static because it is attached to a plastic bumper and not metal. Plastic is bad conductor, metal is good conductor. You get zapped because it is colder out and elecricty moves better then. Just ask your self this, have you ever gotten zapped in the summer getting out of your car?
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

paolo is an unknown quantity at this point
u guys think this is a recall? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

GabberHead is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have thought some of you would have searched about this topic before posting.

Okay here goes,

I didn't spend the time reading all this thread, just the header but... we get shocked because of our cloth interiors. If you want to elevate the shock, go down to your local grocer and buy this Static Remover, or similarly named product. It is located in the detergent/laundry section. The can I got was dark blue w/ an orange top. I've used it since i got my car and I have a decent sized stereo so I probably have a bigger shock than a stock car. The spray has not dammaged/faded my seat. It dries in seconds and works like a charm. Only down side is that it wears off after about 3 weeks or so.

I usually just spray the driver's seat, that way my friend usually gets shocked when he gets out

Previous Thread

Previous thread, part two

Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

yeah btw anything rubber(like the rubber strap thing people were talking about:shady[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] will not discarge the static electricity from your car... BECAUSE ITS RUBBER!!!! you would need something metal touching the ground to do that
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Todd1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i always get shocked when i get out of my 2k1civ, i hate it so i just nudge the door to shut it!!!!

Quick Reply: does anyone else get shocked when exiting their civic