General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New 05 Civic LX 4DR - need advice!

Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmk is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation New 05 Civic LX 4DR - need advice!

Hey guys,

I got my car a couple of weeks ago and I'm still in the engine break in phase (approx. how many miles?). Once I got that down, I'm looking to some performance mods, as you know the LX runs at a dinky 117HP. But again, I saved up for this car with my own money and its my baby.

Theres a list of things I want to buy for my car. Since I'm pretty much "ballin' on a budget", I can only afford a couple of these:

- CAI (been looking at the higher end products like AEM and Injen, mid level products like Tenzo R, and then comes the eBay products like Bomz and generic).

- Front Upper Strut Bar (high end would be DC, mid would be Tenzo R & Neuspeed, and low would be SPW)

These are just what I want to start off with. I had some questions about the brand Tenzo R. Their products are substantially cheaper and the quality "looks" decent. However, some of my car friends told me that Tenzo R is a "ricer" brand and their quality is pretty low.

I'm stuck between waiting until I have enough money to afford an AEM/Injen CAI or just go with the cheaper ones. Also, does it really add to performance that much? My friend also told me to remove my resonator box. Apparently, it acts similar to a CAI.

For my FU Strut Bar, a bar is just a bar right? So basically, it comes down to appearance really. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I heard that a rear sway bar improves cornering much more than a FU strut bar. Any comments?

IF anyone is interested at looking at my pretty-much-stock Civic, heres a link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2046410/1

Thanks in advance.

Jase
Old 07-14-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
go with the mid stuff. tenzo is not that bad. aem is a ripp off like nothin. stick to k+n. if your friends are ricers then they wouldn't know whats rice and whats not. have fun
Old 07-14-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think tenzo strut bar will block the CAI???
Old 07-14-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jmk
I'm looking to some performance mods, as you know the LX runs at a dinky 117HP.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the LX engine produces 2 hp less than you have thought at 115 hp. HX produces 117 hp.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Get the neuspeed, no worry about aftermarket intakes fitting. I would also recomend buying a revo short shifter. I actually ordered both 2 days ago for my 04' ex sedan. Also an intake is really only needed if you plan on getting nitrous, or are planing on serious internal mods. I say this because the most gain you will see is 5hp, no matter which intake you buy. In fact it is more around -1 to +2. You are basically buying the sound, people will say that they give you more throttle response, but really how much more can it give you? I think it is placebo, personally. I think that the only other reason to buy a CAI would be gas milage, but then again you could just drive with your windows up, when going over 50mph and get the same effect, maybe more.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Yes the rear sway bar will probably be more noticable, bu it costs more, so you decide, i am planning on getting one after i get new tires.
Old 07-14-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
Tenzo doesnt make an air intake for the civic, Tenzo is rebadged Mugen for american sales. Tenzo makes very good **** and its all imported from japan.
Why you think they sell a tenzo R addition to the civic at dealerships
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

Any comments on the rear sway bar? (EDIT: Sorry jackburton, didn't see your post)

I think I'm going to try taking the resonator box off first... Then maybe a cheap eBay CAI with a K&N filter. A tube of metal is a tube of metal right?

Dalaw, thanks for telling me that. haha just playing. Appreciate it.

How many miles would be considered "engine broken-in"?

And btw, my car is an AT, so no short shifters for me.

My friends who told me this aren't 'ricers' at all. They 'suspected' Tenzo R to be a ricer brand. I personally like their stuff. And their prices are reasonable.

Thanks again.

Jase
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WhiteCastle
Tenzo doesnt make an air intake for the civic
http://www.tenzoracingsports.com/per...kes/index.html

Click on Price List and you will see CAI's for "01+ Civic DX"

Its compatible right?

EDIT: Also, are any RSX parts compatible with the Civic?

Last edited by jmk; 07-14-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
wow guess they do now, thats new.. I dont know anyone that has one. That will fit you civic.
I can't say anything about thier air intakes because I've never worked with them.
just wanted to note, ask your dealer about tenzo parts, you can order through them as well. You will be surprized what they can get you tenzo parts for

Last edited by WhiteCastle; 07-14-2005 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

Break in,

Last edited by jackburton; 07-14-2005 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

Break in, ahhh. People will tell you any where from 300-5000 miles. I would say 1000-3000, and it is not as important as people say, after about 500 miles it really doe'snt matter, it might give you 250,000 miles compared to like 240,000 or something like that, of course there are about 1000 more factors.
I would drive it like a granma till 500, like my mom till 1000, like my dad till 2500 and after that let her rip. (dont go over 4-5k rpm before 2500 miles)
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackburton
Break in, ahhh. People will tell you any where from 300-5000 miles. I would say 1000-3000, and it is not as important as people say, after about 500 miles it really doe'snt matter, it might give you 250,000 miles compared to like 240,000 or something like that, of course there are about 1000 more factors.
I would drive it like a granma till 500, like my mom till 1000, like my dad till 2500 and after that let her rip. (dont go over 4-5k rpm before 2500 miles)
HAHA. Thanks for that. I vary my RPMs from 2-3.5K

Can anyone recommend a decent rear sway bar for a decent price?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah..go with generic CAI's..with K&N filter..you dont really need the expensive Injen or AEM stuff on our cars..you really wont notice the difference..

Last edited by jhonsok; 07-14-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Thanks.

Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...Name=WDVW&rd=1
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

again i would go with neuspeed, rear sway bar that is
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Anything on RSX OEM parts?
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

rear sway bar, seats, gauge cluster, disc brakes, engine/trans...
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

SlowStockCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't VOID your warranty
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SlowStockCivic
Don't VOID your warranty
Haha. Thanks for the advice. I already asked my dealer guy what voids the warranty so I have a pretty good idea of how NOT to do that.

jackburton, did you go to that eBay link I posted before? Would those RSX rear sway bar fit on my car? Thanks for the info.

Jase
Old 07-14-2005
jmk
Registered!!

I got another question. I'm rollin' on stock steelies. I looked up the wheel weight and I think they are 18lbs. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know how much the Special Edition 15" 15-spoke rims weigh? I saw them on eBay for ~500 shipped and I was interested... but only if they are lighter.

Thanks guys,

Jase