General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Bikes Bikes Bikes Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
Bikes Bikes Bikes Bikes

So, I want a sportsbike for college. I have a couple of them in my mind. All 600cc, im a newb.
Honda CBR F4i, Yamaha YZF600r, YamahaYZF-R6, Ninja zx-6r, or RR, suzuki GSXR600, or Katana 600. These are pretty much all the basic chocies out there. Anyone have any experience in bikes? Any sugestions in these picks? Any good bike forums? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
how about a hayabusa? those are nice. or a cbr 900. thats sweet. thats my opinion.
Old 06-23-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
i dont have much experience or anything, but i have a friend that has an 03 yzf-r6 and he loves it. also, i believe that hondas are quite expensive compared to other bikes, for what you get.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SevenCyrus
So, I want a sportsbike for college. I have a couple of them in my mind. All 600cc, im a newb.
Honda CBR F4i, Yamaha YZF600r, YamahaYZF-R6, Ninja zx-6r, or RR, suzuki GSXR600, or Katana 600. These are pretty much all the basic chocies out there. Anyone have any experience in bikes? Any sugestions in these picks? Any good bike forums? Thanks.
if you're a noob, start off something old and with less power. ride safe
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

RobbyB is an unknown quantity at this point
ya be safe, get a used one for sure, i guarantee you will drop it and id say go for a r6 there nice
Old 06-23-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I'm riding a 2005 Honda Interceptor vfr800( gotta love hond bikes have vtec) and a seasoned rider at that but for a newb as others have said a 600 is perfect but you might want to go for a older model so you can get the feel for it.

go a gixxer or cbr is great for what your wanting IMO.

oh yeah my beauty
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
dude look at my motorcycle thread, but i would not recommend getting any of those bikes especially if your a noob because as i learned insurance is a fortune if you cant prove youve been riding for a long time. Sport bikes have farings on them which cost a fortune to replace if you drop your bike. Id recommend getting a yamaha fz6 which has the r6 engine in it, or a sv650s which is faster than a R6 and a gsxr-600. the only thing is that they dont have full fairings. They are both also good learning bikes and fairly cheap to insure 120 a month with a clean record vs. 250+
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Seven u posted on Importracer's thread yesterday on the exact same topic! WTF man? We all said get one that is like 2000-2003 and stay in the 600 range. U know what? Fu ck it, I'm not even going to repeat myself just go back and look at it if u have to. Which u shouldn't b/c u posted on it and it only had like 40 replies
Old 06-23-2005
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
try out a SV-650 for sure
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

alberta_si is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree for the sv-650s great starters... and its got no fairing... but if you want to stay in the bike you said, id go with gsx-r 600 very light, fast and advance in tech but get a 97 and up to much things change around those years... you can get a used gsx-r600 97 for around 3500$can you dont want a loan or at least get a personnal loan cuz insured both ways is expensive... no payments you pay cheap ins for liability!!!

and for sure take lessons if your new with bikes and dont do weelies for a while guys rush in doing stupid things that seems easy but in reel they dont have control!!! bikes are fun and they get the chicks!!!!!!!!! enjoy
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

honda860 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm planning on getting one to but i have only road a bike 2 or 3 times so imma start off on an older one for this summer and maybe get a new one next summer like an 06
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MajinB
how about a hayabusa? those are nice. or a cbr 900. thats sweet. thats my opinion.
Are you trying to get the guy killed?
Do not get a Haybusa for your first bike.

Originally Posted by Importracer
Id recommend getting a yamaha fz6 which has the r6 engine in it, or a sv650s which is faster than a R6 and a gsxr-600. the only thing is that they dont have full fairings.
Niether the sv650s or the sv650 are faster than an R6 or a GSX-R 600. That like comparing a turbo to a supercharger. They make power in different ways.

The sv650 is a V-Twin and the other 600's are inline 4's.

BTW, you can order the rest of the fairing for the sv650 is it looks really good.

Originally Posted by Kyle23
Seven u posted on Importracer's thread yesterday on the exact same topic! WTF man? We all said get one that is like 2000-2003 and stay in the 600 range. U know what? Fu ck it, I'm not even going to repeat myself just go back and look at it if u have to. Which u shouldn't b/c u posted on it and it only had like 40 replies

Thank you, Kyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
I see, Thanks guys. I didnt want to "jack" his tread, even though the topic was kind of over.
Yea, the purpose of the bike is to get me from point A to point b,c,d, etc. Since im going to be at a huge campus. I wouldnt mind getting there with style either , I want to ride this thing, not just go up and down the same street like most of these posers i see, etc.
Thanks for replies

Last edited by SevenCyrus; 06-23-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

There's a lot more involved than using the bike to get you from a to b. It's not cheap.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Yoyoio
if you're a noob, start off something old and with less power. ride safe
Agreed, pick up a used Kawasaki Ninja 500 or Suzuki SV-650 or something along those lines.
Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
I see, Thanks guys. I didnt want to "jack" his tread, even though the topic was kind of over.
Yea, the purpose of the bike is to get me from point A to point b,c,d, etc. Since im going to be at a huge campus. I wouldnt mind getting there with style either , I want to ride this thing, not just go up and down the same street like most of these posers i see, etc.
Thanks for replies

i hope you have a clean driving record cause insurance is going to rape you...
Old 06-24-2005
Born in the Island, Raised in the NYC.......Dominicano....Y Que??

kDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the rough
Im lookin to buy a bike this year, but im stuck between 2 that i like...........the HONDA CBR1000RR(Red) or the KAWASAKI ZX10R......which do ya think is better? I wanted to go wit the HONDA one since Im still financin my civic and could put it in wit the same payments, but i dont kno............
Old 06-24-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
i hope you have a clean driving record cause insurance is going to rape you...

yea I can agree to that.. I've got a spotless record (knock on wood) age 26 and my insurance on my 2005 Honda Interceptor is 145 a month
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kDiAbLo_718
Im lookin to buy a bike this year, but im stuck between 2 that i like...........the HONDA CBR1000RR(Red) or the KAWASAKI ZX10R......which do ya think is better? I wanted to go wit the HONDA one since Im still financin my civic and could put it in wit the same payments, but i dont kno............

First bike? Why not get a hayabusa?? Then you can turbo it and add nitrous.

IMHO If you have to ask, you don't know enough about bikes. How many times do we have to say this....Start off small???????????

Now, to answer your question (only cuz I know some people are wondering):

NEITHER, The new GSX-R1000 is the baddest bike out rigght now. It's the fastest, lightest, highest resale value, least problematic.
As for the ZX-10R vs. CBR1000RR.......Well, if it is your first liter bike, the CBR wins hands down. It revs slower but has great all around ergos. The ZX-10R is so much faster and meaner, so it is better for someone who has owned liter bikes before.

If this is your first bike, YOU DON'T NEED EITHER!
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

Woodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright, you already stated your a newb. So first things first, get your mind out of the I-4 600cc state of mind. You would be much smarter to start on something like I started on, a kawasaki ninja ex500, or a suzuki sv650(looks awesome). A 600cc will only get you in trouble. My little ex500, 2 cylinders, is definately enough for a first bike. If you want an idea how much of a difference there is in speed between a car and a bike, listen to this. My little 500cc bike smokes the **** out of our "fast car" in town, a z28 with full exhaust.

Also, liter bikes will never see full potential on the street, unless you enjoy breaking every law around and dying in the process. And if you turn out to be a squid and wear anything less than full gear, Ill be more than happy to kick your ***.

Also, insurance on a older, smaller bike will save you a whole lot. I am 16, nothing on my driving record, I have a 92 kawasaki ex500, and pay $300 a YEAR for insurance.

Start small dude, you'll end up in much less pain in the end when you DO get a nice, brand new liter bike that you can do something more than go fast in a straight line on.

Last edited by Woodster; 06-24-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2005

Yea im thinking of the sv650. Thanks
Old 06-24-2005
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
if youre a newb you should definately start with a twin turbo busa, with dual nos.
Old 06-24-2005
Born in the Island, Raised in the NYC.......Dominicano....Y Que??

kDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the roughkDiAbLo_718 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by LayinLo
First bike? Why not get a hayabusa?? Then you can turbo it and add nitrous.

IMHO If you have to ask, you don't know enough about bikes. How many times do we have to say this....Start off small???????????

Now, to answer your question (only cuz I know some people are wondering):

NEITHER, The new GSX-R1000 is the baddest bike out rigght now. It's the fastest, lightest, highest resale value, least problematic.
As for the ZX-10R vs. CBR1000RR.......Well, if it is your first liter bike, the CBR wins hands down. It revs slower but has great all around ergos. The ZX-10R is so much faster and meaner, so it is better for someone who has owned liter bikes before.

If this is your first bike, YOU DON'T NEED EITHER!
Gotcha, but i have ridden bikes b4, just never bought one, but never thought about bustin my a$$, lol, thanx for the advice. So ur sayin I should go wit a HONDA tho, rite?
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

steak84ss will become famous soon enoughsteak84ss will become famous soon enough
R-1 all the way!!
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice2k1civic01 is just really nice
I like it how you noobs wanna start off on a 1000cc - 1300cc bikes...Its funny cause you guys have no idea what you are talking about...I've seen guys at the dealership that bought brand new R-1s and didn't even know how to ride and right when they left the driveway of the dealership, they laid it down...LOL..I think GSXR-600, cbr 600rr, zx6r,r6 blah blah blah aren't good bikes to start off with...Better go with the sv650 or something..haha
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

Yea im thinking of the sv650. Thanks
that bike is sick... thats what im getting. post a pic of yours once you get it
Old 06-24-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
+1 for sv650. that bike is great!

triumph daytona 650 is a great bike too. love the way it looks.
Old 06-24-2005

that bike is sick... thats what im getting. post a pic of yours once you get it
Word.
Old 06-24-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
whats "farings"?
Old 06-25-2005
let the devil out

Originally Posted by AzNmiKex215
whats "farings"?

look up at my previous post with the pics.. see the 1/4's on the front of the bike thats what a faring is

Quick Reply: Bikes Bikes Bikes Bikes