General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

what happens gas price raise to $3???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
$3.13 for regular at all the gas stations in my town!
Old 04-08-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Uhmmm.... decades? really though, when I started driving about 10 years ago, I bought gas for under a dollar, $0.87 was the cheapest I've ever bought gas at. In the '70, I believe gas was around $0.70-$0.75. So over 2 decades, gas goes up $0.15 or so, but over the last decade gas has gone up almost $1.50. that's 10 times the growth in half the time, I hardly call that a steady increase.

And actually oil prices dropped for almost three weeks straight, OPEC has allowed an additional 500,000 barrels a day to be pumped and shipped, the US has started to divert oil from our reserves into production and we are starting to import more from other countries out side of OPEC now. Oil prices have fallen, until just a few days ago, they went back up. So now we have all this oil, at cheaper prices, why didn't the gas prices go down? Well, because we have all this oil now, the US has to refine it (keep in mind we refine oil for all most the entire world because no body else has the refineries we have). Problem is that we don't have the amount of refineries to keep up with the worlds needs. Once more refineries are built prices will come down. Then OPEC will start pumping less oil, and prices will go back up. This cycle will keep oil prices at where they are once more refineries are made.
Thats because the American government has been more aggressive in trying to keep fuel prices down owing to lowering of fuel taxes. The price of a finite resource w. constant or growing demand will always -always-, inevitably rise. You can allay it by using your reserves or slashing taxes, but you can't delay it indefinately. Anybody whos taken even a simple Econ. 101 class will tell you that. Regarding steady vs slow growth, I think prices have gone up of late because other countries that aren't the US are starting to use a lot more fuel.

China for example is using a lot more fuel, just wait till 1 billion people who up until recently were riding bikes and taking buses start buying themselves mass produced automobiles. As for not enough refineries, just you wait until China, Europe, India and every other country thats very quickly industrializing starts catching up (as they are already). The world is changing, avg. fuel economy per car now is worse than it was a decade ago despite new technologies owing to everyone buying giant cars and several hundred million people abroad are now making the jump to cars, not to mention instability in the middle east. Theres no real end in sight to rising costs.

Personally, I don't think its so bad, I'm from Alberta, we pump a huge amount of oil up here to send down South and every time fuel prices spike this province grows ever more rich.
Old 04-08-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by dre2600
Thats because the American government has been more aggressive in trying to keep fuel prices down owing to lowering of fuel taxes. The price of a finite resource w. constant or growing demand will always -always-, inevitably rise. You can allay it by using your reserves or slashing taxes, but you can't delay it indefinately. Anybody whos taken even a simple Econ. 101 class will tell you that. Regarding steady vs slow growth, I think prices have gone up of late because other countries that aren't the US are starting to use a lot more fuel.

China for example is using a lot more fuel, just wait till 1 billion people who up until recently were riding bikes and taking buses start buying themselves mass produced automobiles. As for not enough refineries, just you wait until China, Europe, India and every other country thats very quickly industrializing starts catching up (as they are already). The world is changing, avg. fuel economy per car now is worse than it was a decade ago despite new technologies owing to everyone buying giant cars and several hundred million people abroad are now making the jump to cars, not to mention instability in the middle east. Theres no real end in sight to rising costs.

Personally, I don't think its so bad, I'm from Alberta, we pump a huge amount of oil up here to send down South and every time fuel prices spike this province grows ever more rich.
Thats why driving a Civic is helping the world to be a better place!
Old 04-08-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by dre2600

I completely agree. I'm just saying right now there is an artificial increase in price because of the incapable to refine enough gas. Actually I know very well that we can produce enough gas with our refineries to serve the US and keep the prices well under $2/gallon at current oil prices, but China (and some other countries) are now consuming gas and demanding more, hence making it cost more here in the US and bogging down our refineries, so now we have to compete with more countries for gas.

I have actually taken 4 econ classes. I'm a chemical engineer, chemical engineer sole purpose is to find better more efficient ways of refining and using petroleium. We design refineries, we cost the refineries (hence the econ classes, I have to know time value of money and all that crap), we maintain them, update them, inspect them. 2 years ago, jobs in chemical engineering where hard to find and only paying about 30G starting. Today you can get a job as a chemical engineer no problem making 50-65G per a year right out of college.

So yeah, I know a little bit about the refinery problems and what is going on in the world concerning gas and oil, it’s my job. And yeah, it's not so bad, it makes me much more valueable in the work place
Old 04-08-2005
Registered!!

silver02coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
90% of americans don't need suvs. The other 10% maybe use them to carry lots of people camping or construction. Why buy a truck just to drive it on the road? What's the point.
Because driving a big truck/suv makes people feel tough and superior on the road. Usually its some five foot tall soccer mom, or some jock type high school kid who use big trucks and suvs to make up for their small size. They think " Hey my automobile is big and loud! I bet people think im a tough individual!"
Old 04-08-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
$2.43 for 93..I hate it!
Old 04-08-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just filled up the gas and first time in my life that it costs me almost $30 to fill up the whole tank! (the empty fuel light was on)
Old 04-08-2005
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by chocobo15_2000
um...maybe bush should stop the fuggin war, bring our people home, and leave the middle east alone and start extracting our own oil...there are lots of deposits around the US, screw importing them. retarded politicians...i can't believe they still haven't taken action for this...they know we won't do anything, and even if the gas prices does exceed $3 and we do boycott or something, that eventually, we'll give in and buy gas again, so its fuggin pointless, those politicians are heartless man, it troubles me that ppl like that exist and run the country I live in.
we do have oil reserves, its the PRICE of extraction that gets us. It's cheaper to import Saudi oil than to extract and refine it here. you want HIGHER gas prices? Start drilling in the US.
Old 04-08-2005
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
all i know is my next car isn't gonna depend on gas. I want something self contained where I don't have to pay to drive it. Hopefully something like that will exist in my future life Screw that hybrid crap. I want ALL electric, or at least some kind of battery powered something.
when you can make electricity cheaper than burning fossil fuel (coal, gas, etc.) you will be a rich man. Don't let hippies fool you, we aint gonna see anythign except fossil fueled vehicles for a long time. We are just too stupid to embrace the cleaner, more efficient of the two (diesel). Europe has VWs with 1 liter diesel engines getting 93 mother******* miles to the gallon, and we still drive escalades.
Old 04-11-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by acjones21
we do have oil reserves, its the PRICE of extraction that gets us. It's cheaper to import Saudi oil than to extract and refine it here. you want HIGHER gas prices? Start drilling in the US.

We, still refine the oil right here in the US, no matter where it comes from. Infact we then shipped the refined oil to places like Europe, China, and India because they don't have the abilty to refine oil the oil they need.
Old 04-11-2005

Originally Posted by acjones21
when you can make electricity cheaper than burning fossil fuel (coal, gas, etc.) you will be a rich man. Don't let hippies fool you, we aint gonna see anythign except fossil fueled vehicles for a long time. We are just too stupid to embrace the cleaner, more efficient of the two (diesel). Europe has VWs with 1 liter diesel engines getting 93 mother******* miles to the gallon, and we still drive escalades.

uhhmmmmm.... Honda has 300 FCX in California right now. They are powered by Ballard hydrogen fuel cells producing 90 kW (that's about 120 hp) and it weights less than half of the internal combustion motors. Every major car manufacture has one now, even Hyundai/Kia (yes Hyundai owns about 80% of Kia, so they have the same research labs) have a fuel cell car. It's closer than you may think, it has been estimated that gas will have to hit about 3.50-4.00 per gallon and people will start to seriously consider alternate power cars that get close to 100 MPG form standard gasoline. I certainly think that will be in our life, probably in the not so far future as the price of fuel cells goes down. Not to mention the government even gives you a tax break for driving cleaner cars like that.

Your 1L TDI engine will not work here in the US considering once you add the normal safety features on, you will add hundreds of pounds to a car that already has a max speed around 65 MPH, you've probably lowered it to 55 MPH now, who will buy a car you can not even go on the free way with? IT may have a small market, but not bigger enough to justify them to bring it to the US.
Old 04-11-2005
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
We'll complain, then just pay it like good bitC*es.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
here in 29 palms, cali it is 2.60 for 87
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

solo_rider is an unknown quantity at this point
if gas goes to 3.00 dollars than i'm buying a scooter
Old 04-11-2005

Originally Posted by solo_rider
if gas goes to 3.00 dollars than i'm buying a scooter
down to 2.11 here. Was at 2.29 for a while.

IF gas hits 3.00, road bike (pedal bike)
Old 04-11-2005
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
we have learned to leave the cherokee at home on the weekends and drive the vic. I'm not complaining because gas is about $2.12 in houston. I've been driving my car easy and going about 60 or 65 mph instead of 80-90. it helps
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

adnmoh1 will become famous soon enoughadnmoh1 will become famous soon enough
get a horse and carrage, just like during the 1800s, if people ask how much horsepower i have i got one. bizacth
Old 04-11-2005
Supreme Member!

wcsjunior is an unknown quantity at this point
u guys are complaining for no reason..... some of the gas stations here in the bay area have 87 for 2.7x and 91 and 93 have gone way past $3 already... i feel sorry for the v8 guys lol
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

Skylar1692 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just filled up almost $29.00 to fill!!!!! Prices in south FL from $2.39 - $2.48 that I have seen. It's getting crazy! Time to get a Hybrid lol
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

MYK1013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn!!
Down here in Guam, just jumped up to $2.70 for regular yesterday!!
Old 04-12-2005

Originally Posted by wcsjunior
u guys are complaining for no reason..... some of the gas stations here in the bay area have 87 for 2.7x and 91 and 93 have gone way past $3 already... i feel sorry for the v8 guys lol
I'm one pf those V8 guys...
Old 04-12-2005
Registered!!

Dlmille is an unknown quantity at this point
What about this new civic GX that is available in California. Specs on hondas website put it at like 30/34 MPG, not a huge increase. Anyone know what it costs to fill on of these things up and how far it will drive on a single tank. Kind of an interesting idea just haven't heard much about it.