General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

what happens gas price raise to $3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
People would just start using their brains and not buying SUVs and the government would start taxing more for the displacement of an engine the way they do in Europe. Last summer when I was in Greece, gas was something like 0.87 Euro to the liter, I'm sure by now its at about 1 Euro to the liter. To the -liter-, not the gallon. That'd be like 4 Euros to the gallon, which would be equivalent to about $6.00.

Thing is though, they make their gas there last, they all drive small, light, tiny cars, some with 1.3 liter engines. Truckers I imagine would receive subsidies garnered from fuel taxes and taxes on larger displacement engines, thus making their gas cheaper. Same thing with farmers (I can only speak for here in Canada, but I'm sure other countries have it too, farmers get discounted (purple) gas).

The average person doesn't need an SUV, I live in Alberta where theres a damnable lot of snow come winter and the roads are composed mostly of ice, my last 2 cars were a 2K3 Civic and a '97 VW Golf and I'm presently driving a Mazda3, I've never gotten stuck in any snow or ice and I've never had any problems getting my car to start. Nobody needs an SUV and if they do, go buy one w. a smaller block. The Jeep Grand Cherokee found in Europe has an engine much much smaller than the one found stateside.

Once demand goes down, price will go down too. Its about time North America started taking a hint and embracing smaller cars instead of condos on wheels.
Old 03-27-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
90% of americans don't need suvs. The other 10% maybe use them to carry lots of people camping or construction. Why buy a truck just to drive it on the road? What's the point.
Old 03-27-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
right.. when you see the people in highway, most of them are driving by themselves in their suv/truck...
Old 03-27-2005
Creative Mind Extraodinare

Graphicdude will become famous soon enoughGraphicdude will become famous soon enough
looks like your El Presidante will either need to start *** kissing us Canadians for our rich and abundant tar sands or start another war. I wonder what he will do? Do you think the NAFTA Summit accomplished anything?
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

civic21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here in Missouri 87 is $2.11. I put $15 in my car today and got a half tank.
Old 03-27-2005

Originally Posted by civic21
Here in Missouri 87 is $2.11. I put $15 in my car today and got a half tank.
sucker!
Old 03-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Ya I only fill up 6 gallons to save weight and mileage. Every bit helps. I remember my parents driving to a certain gas station far away cause gas was only $1.15 instead of $1.50 back in the day
Old 03-27-2005
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
its not like im gonna die
ill just pay 3 dollars a gallon than
ill just think to myself.... good thing i dont drive a SUV
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Yep.

Yep. People are going to continue to drive, no matter what the cost. People will b!tch about it, but it wont change anything. But what some people should think about is the ratio of gas per gallon really isnt that bad. Compare some of the other liquid items you purchase, and if you had to buy a gallon of that ie: Milk, Orange Juice, that damned bottle water everyone seems to be drinking, even though it isnt any different, or that coffee you go buy at Starbuucks. Compare Gas per gallon and those items, and you will be quite shocked. The president we have likes to line his pockets with oil money, but that is a different discussion.

You also have to keep in mind the oil is used in other parts of our economy other then just powering cars. The raise in oil prices causes a form a tax through out the economy. Thus, prices raise and the economy slows down. Millk, orange juice are all elastic items. If the price of orange juice rose, then i would just buy milk. If the price of milk rose, i would just drink tap water.

If the price of gas raises i cant put water into my car at least not yet. Probably another 20yrs before hydrogen cells become main stream, then we won't need middle-eastern oil. Places like Iraq will become another Rwanda and their economies will collapse.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

mdwalsh80 is an unknown quantity at this point
The demand for gasoline has been growing because of the new advancements in technology and inovation in China and other emerging markets. The demand for energy in china in probably one of the most relevant factors to the increases in the price along with the OPEC Nations. That are making so much more money because of the increased price of oil. (chocobo15_2000) Why would you think that bringing our troops back home would have any positive affect on the prices of oil in the USA, or anywhere for that matter. The democrats have been stopping the drilling for oil in alaska and other places (off the coast of florida) and other places for years. The OIL futures market is a great place to have your money right now. Some of the funds are up about 70% for the year. So you can take advantage of the increased fuel prices. just my .02

Matt
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
^^^^

Yeah i agree, china is one of the primary reasons. But there are some positives to bring the troops back. Less lose of life, less government spending. Less government spending, equals less government debt and interest rates fall. I don't think we should went to Iraq in the first place, but now we're there we're kinda stuck there and have to see it through.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

slowciv is an unknown quantity at this point
its a great idea to drill in our own country, and they will be soon in alaska, its just sad cause it's a animal refuge area. knowing that the oil companies are greedy bastards they will just save it and when the middle east goes dry then we will sell for twice as much.. the price won't go down people still and will pay for it
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

crazy-civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in South Carolina (below Clemson University) and gas is $2.03 for 87 here and im not complaining causeu need gas, unless u want 2 pedal your sry *** everywhere. have fun telling your girlfriend that she has to ride on the handle bars or the pegs!
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point
that would suck if in 2 years gas is 5bucks a gallon everywhere
Old 03-28-2005

Originally Posted by BlackSI
that would suck if in 2 years gas is 5bucks a gallon everywhere
if that's the case, i'll buy and ride a bicycle instead!!!!

haha, jk
Old 03-28-2005

Mishkautkin is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm gonna buy it no matter how much it is,
12 gallons @ $1.60 = 20 bucks
12 gallons @ $2.50 = 30 bucks
and still you go 340-400 miles on that - for civic it is not that hurtfull but SUV and trucks are gonna go to waste

WHO CARES POLICE IS GONNA BE CRUISING AS MUCH AS IT IS NOW - DAMN!
Old 03-28-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by simony
Looking at the gas prices these couple of days, they are pretty high, the 87 one is at least 2.2x (here in chicago).. could it go to $3 some day??? what will you do if it does hit $3? will you stop driving the car or not? i don't think i will stop, because i only drive in the weekend... it makes me excited when i sit in my civic...
i don't think i can live w/o driving my car...
i guess we will see more civics or hybrid cars on the road soon

The demand for this product is way too high. Stop driving on weekends will not hurt them....you will have to fill up sooner or later. Drive electric which is still gay they have not worked out the lameness yet like distances and lack of being able to put a fart can on it....jk. But to answer your question.....do what ever one else does pay it or buy a bycycle.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
:)

Originally Posted by gearbox
all i know is my next car isn't gonna depend on gas. I want something self contained where I don't have to pay to drive it. Hopefully something like that will exist in my future life Screw that hybrid crap. I want ALL electric, or at least some kind of battery powered something.

Hi,

I wonder if you watch the discovery channel, this month, they are presenting japanese technology.

They have this pure electric car that had 0-100Km of 4 sec. However, for the prototype, the battery cost 200k. So far only 1 japanese company bought the idea and is welling to invest on the research for production. The name of the comapany is hold confidential.
Old 03-28-2005

it's probably honda who made the car?
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
not sure

Originally Posted by simony
it's probably honda who made the car?
They did not reveal which company bought the prototype, but the acceleration and stop distance of that car is beyond any car on the market. They will just have to find a way to drop the price of the battery.

I wonder if someone knows more about it, but I am just saying electric does not mean slow acceleration.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
They will probably start bringing all those tiny cars here. I saw tons of really small cars in mexico city this january.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
here's a question,

Do you think the higher gas prices will raise our civic's resale value??
Old 03-28-2005

^ that's a really good question
but i doubt it will...
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by orion_squall
Hi,

I wonder if you watch the discovery channel, this month, they are presenting japanese technology.

They have this pure electric car that had 0-100Km of 4 sec. However, for the prototype, the battery cost 200k. So far only 1 japanese company bought the idea and is welling to invest on the research for production. The name of the comapany is hold confidential.
thats a 0-60mph time of about 4sec...about what most good sport cars can do...nothing to special.
Old 03-28-2005
ctv
Registered!!

ctv is an unknown quantity at this point
mmm least Tanks, i mean SUV's on the road
Old 03-28-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PbFoot
you know what will happen? youll pay whatever they charge. no one that drives their car every day will decide to change their whole routine, even if they could, because of 70+ cents for a gallon of gas. work isnt gonna move closer, and people gotta go to work.

yup...........if gas cost $10 a gallon...........we will still buy it.
Old 03-29-2005
Unsalvageable

rEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trustedrEkKaShInObI should not be trusted
think to yourself, how to beat high gas prices.

Ans: Honda Civic Hybrid!!!!!
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

MrDibbs19 is an unknown quantity at this point
if gas goes up that much i will be very salty... gas is pretty expensive now jsut a few years ago it was .99 cents a gallon here now its at 2.18 at the sunuco i work at
Old 03-29-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Lightbulb

Segway!
Old 03-29-2005

gotti will become famous soon enoughgotti will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chocobo15_2000
um...maybe bush should stop the fuggin war, bring our people home, and leave the middle east alone and start extracting our own oil...there are lots of deposits around the US, screw importing them. retarded politicians...i can't believe they still haven't taken action for this...they know we won't do anything, and even if the gas prices does exceed $3 and we do boycott or something, that eventually, we'll give in and buy gas again, so its fuggin pointless, those politicians are heartless man, it troubles me that ppl like that exist and run the country I live in.
ignorance is bliss

Quick Reply: what happens gas price raise to $3???