General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

first drive impressions - 1995 miata

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
first drive impressions - 1995 miata

WOW! thats all i can say. its a 10 year old car and still amazing to drive. i started looking for a replacement to the civic, and this was the first car i looked at. im not planning on getting anything that old, but the dude selling it lives in my town so i thought why not? i wanted to know what to base my decision on.

so, best way to describe the experience...its like wearing the car. its not cramped or anything, but its a small car and you just feel part of it. i started it up, and the engine rumbled to life. i guess it was a little rough, but its a 10 year old car, so whatever. all the needed controls are where they need to be, within reach. and i went. from the start, the clutch is tighter and MUCH smoother than the civic. i only had room to take it to 3rd, i just went around the block, but it was a great drive. car handles nicely. you point it and it goes. i guess the shift throw is a little long, but thats an easy fix.

all the other cars i will be testing are 99s and possibly 2000. so im expecting a more refined and even smoother ride. but one thing is for sure, i am in love with the miata! after i came back and gave the car back, i got into the civic to drive home and immediately said to myself "what the hell??" i thought the civic was peppy and sortof quick before, but now it seemed slow and sluggish. completely a different driving experience.

i strongly urge everyone who loves to drive to go and test the miata. you might think its a "gay" car now, but you drive it and i guarantee you your mind will change.
Old 09-30-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Hmmm, honestly, I thought it was slow and wasnt that big of a fan... "to each his own"
Old 09-30-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Dude I totally agree!! I just bought a 94 package(fully loaded) with all the goodies including a torsen LSD!!

The car is pretty quick, but not as peppy as it should be, I checked the air filter/plugs/wires & theyre all bad. As soon as I replace them she'll be even more fun.

Did you notice in tight corners the *** almost turns for you, its the wierdest feeling, thanks to the miatas 50/50 weight distribution. One word of caution though, if you find one with an LSD, watch the gas around the corners, I didnt & ended up in a full drift that I barely pulled out of. Now that ive mastered it, I can whip the *** around whenever I want, screw FWD...

Edit: oh yea, pics here
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=175371
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
^^ nice car!! are you on miata.net? whats your name if you are? im PbFoot there also...but i dont post at all, just read occasionally. did you add the nose mask or did it come with it? check the paint under there, sometimes it gets really scratched up because dust/sand gets stuck under there and it rubs.

anyway, i wasnt expecting much for power, i mean its a 1.8L and the civic is 1.7, so i was expecting the same thing pretty much. the surprize was that its a bit more responsive it seems. the handling/cornering was what most impressed me. mind you i didnt push it at all, but you can tell this car is planted to the ground in the corners.

i dont think the 99s came with an LSD as standard equipment, but im planning on adding one after getting used to RWD...maybe in the spring.

oh, PS...this car was pretty nicely loaded. red with black cloth interior. the owner added a 6 disk CD changer, nose mask, trunk protector plate, low profile lights (the dual headlight setup from MOSS i think), a factory hardtop w/ defogger, speakers in headrest, door sills...i mean this car is nice. the paint is a bit rough, but nothing too bad. if i had like $5k lying around id totally buy it as a project car. but i dont have that money and i need a daily driver.

Last edited by PbFoot; 09-30-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2004
I Wanna Die Like God on the Cover of Time!

incubus7d is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy an MR2
Old 09-30-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Last week when I bought my RX-8, I also test drove the Mazdaspeed Miata. If it werent' for the fact that it has no back seats, I would have bought that car. Just as quick as the 8, and drove like a go kart. The car was so much fun to drive, and felt alot better than the Z3 I test drove a few weeks ago. Definitely quality. Shows why it's the "best selling sports car ever."

I also tested the non-turbo model, and it was still definitely a fun car. And whoever said it was slow should really wake up. The non-turbo model may only have 140 hp, but the car is barely 2000 lbs. Plus it's RWD. I've never seen a civic beat a miata on any road course or auto cross...
Old 09-30-2004
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
91 MR2 turbo

its a 13 year old car and still amazing to drive.
Old 09-30-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Last week when I bought my RX-8, I also test drove the Mazdaspeed Miata. If it werent' for the fact that it has no back seats, I would have bought that car. Just as quick as the 8, and drove like a go kart. The car was so much fun to drive, and felt alot better than the Z3 I test drove a few weeks ago. Definitely quality. Shows why it's the "best selling sports car ever."

I also tested the non-turbo model, and it was still definitely a fun car. And whoever said it was slow should really wake up. The non-turbo model may only have 140 hp, but the car is barely 2000 lbs. Plus it's RWD. I've never seen a civic beat a miata on any road course or auto cross...
What model Z3 did you drive....and year....
Old 09-30-2004
I usually put a cucumber in my bum when I jerk off!

johnovan is an unknown quantity at this point
get a bentley
Old 09-30-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnovan
get a bentley

Damn dude, yeah....why didn't you think of it before??? Damn, now I'm stuck w/ my civic and the payments would be the same on the bentley...DAMN!!
Old 09-30-2004

Originally Posted by tripledoublegs
Damn dude, yeah....why didn't you think of it before??? Damn, now I'm stuck w/ my civic and the payments would be the same on the bentley...DAMN!!
Hey, we all make mistakes...

If you had a bentley... you would get the chick on my avatard like nothing...
Old 09-30-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, we all make mistakes...

If you had a bentley... you would get the chick on my avatard like nothing...

why would he want a girl with buck teeth?
Old 09-30-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
^^^
Old 09-30-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
why would he want a girl with buck teeth?
We all have our secret fantasies....[look at that stone around her neck...you know she has mad loot!]
Old 09-30-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
We all have our secret fantasies....[look at that stone around her neck...you know she has mad loot!]

Or shes a gold diger that just goes out with ritch guys so they will buy her things.

and just to Keep this relivent, I may end up with a Miata soon too. Probably a 94-95 (The 1.8L engine (The OBD-I is apparently easyer to tweak then the OBDII of the 96-97) but with the Lighter chassis)
Old 09-30-2004

think of the modding...have fun!
maybe if your sexy enoughj, you can get a date with my avatard
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

i have thought of the modding. the miata has tons of aftermarket support. and im not a big fan of whats her face that was your avatar before.
Old 10-01-2004
Banned

DodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of light
you'd think the miata was made in germany by the way it handles

but get it's evil twin, I test drove one and holy clap it was faaaaaaast in the swervies...
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

whats its evil twin?
Old 10-01-2004
Banned

DodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of light
the mazdaspeed miata. the one with the boost.
Old 10-01-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
I can see that the Mazda Ad Campaign in Sport Compact Car has made an impression on someone.
Old 10-01-2004
Banned

oh hell yeah. enough of an impression to take a test drive.

Mazdaspeed
RX-8
3 series

mazda has been kicking *** lately
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

i dont have money to get a new miata. wish i could, but alas, not gonna happen. but i actually hear that the 99 is one of the best years for the miata...i hope i can find one.
Old 10-01-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
a Miata, eh? ... so are you gonna do a corvette engine swap?
Old 10-01-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

I believe the popular swap was the Mustang 5.0 swap from some obscure shop in San Diego. They called it the "monster" miata. They would even paint a little picture of Godzilla next to the Miata emblem. Crazy...
Old 10-01-2004
Banned

yep that was it. just like the "terminator focus" there are a few...crazy
Old 10-01-2004
Registered!!

no, im not gonna do the monster miata. at least not on this version.

what i will do is put my money into suspension and body stifening, then put in an LSD and maybe upgrade the clutch/flywheel, then either put in a supercharger or a stroker kit from flyin miata with H/C/E and whatever else is needed to run it properly. then do the other of the two. at the same time i do the stroker, i will try to do headwork also. upgrade the fuel system/engine management system with the first engine mod. then once im happy with the way it runs, hopefully simpson design will have the italia kit for the nb and i will work on the exterior and interior of the car.

by the time im done, it will be a whole new car. but still a miata.
Old 10-01-2004
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Yea putting a big *** engine in a miata would throw off the 50/50 weight distribution & make it handle like crap. It would be fine for 1/4 mile, but why buy a miata in the first place if your into that.

Good luck finding & buying one.
Old 10-02-2004
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
95 miata was the car i was going to buy over the civic but I decided to go new instead of 7 years old for same price.
Old 10-02-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Um, I don't see a chick in your avatar. I guess you just changed it.

A 5.0 Mustang engine in a Miata? Holy ****!!

That would mess up the weight distribution, tho, you're right. They should make it a mid engine swap. w00t!

Oh yeah, doesn't a Miata have a way higher redline than a Mustang? High redlines = fun. What does a Mustang 5.0 redline at? 4500rpm?

Quick Reply: first drive impressions - 1995 miata