General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Magnesium Grey vs. Silver - wear and tear?

Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raze is an unknown quantity at this point
Magnesium Grey vs. Silver - wear and tear?

Planning on keeping this new purchase for at least 10 years...

What do you think will hold better? Silver or Magnesium Grey? How about resell value?

I am thinking the grey will be better for the front end chips (which are probably black underneath) as opposed to silver and black chips?
Old 09-27-2004
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Silver is alot easier to touch up and get repainted. anyone with a spray gun can get a match. magnesium grey will cost more to paint per part i bet. im not sure im assuming silver would be cheaper. but yes the bumper covers are black underneath the paint.
Old 09-27-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by diskreet
Silver is alot easier to touch up and get repainted. anyone with a spray gun can get a match. magnesium grey will cost more to paint per part i bet. im not sure im assuming silver would be cheaper. but yes the bumper covers are black underneath the paint.
oh so wrong!!!!

Silver is worst and hardest color to match...espcially on our vic where its "satin silver metallic", you can ALWAYS tell when someone with a 7thgen silver civic has had **** repainted...ESPECIALLY the rear bumper...

I wont buy another silver car... I didnt know this when I bought the car though, silver has its plus's but when you need body work, its a pain in the ***!

Go with the grey- color wont affect retail that much being that it is not "yellow" or something more outrageous.
Old 09-27-2004
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
whatever. i dont know. i love silver though.
Old 09-27-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by diskreet
whatever. i dont know. i love silver though.
Yeah i love silver and always wanted a silver car...

But man- I dunno if you've ever been in a wreck, or have done any custom body work on your car or whatever, but that **** sucks to deal with. You can get it close, but never perfect it seems. Will look great in some light, then you look in other light and its a totally different shade... Also Atlanta body shops SUCK but its more than just that. haha
Old 09-27-2004
Bush fu(king party,mother fu(king hand job.

Teh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to all
i'd go for the grey...thats such a killer colour...and ive seen some chipped up silver ones and its really noticeable....but then again he grey may be as well...sorry. yeah i know that wasnt much help.
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
get the silver...theres like barely any silver civics out there. i mean you will be one of the few, one of the elite...SSM all the way.

LOL get either color...i doubt color has any effect on resale value, unless its something loud and crazy. either of your choices are pretty normal.
Old 09-27-2004
w00t

acurastype01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i love my magnesium
Old 09-27-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
^^^^ Better choice
Old 09-27-2004

Teh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to allTeh_Sare is a name known to all
Originally Posted by acurastype01
i love my magnesium
i love your magnesium as well.
Old 09-27-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
sliver
Old 09-27-2004
w00t

Originally Posted by Sare
i love your magnesium as well.
haha thanks thanks
Old 09-27-2004

how is the magnesium? does it show how dirty it is as much as my NHBP one does? grr...
Old 09-27-2004
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
magnesium shows more dirt than ssm but its not as bad as black or white...also silver is one of the hardest colors to match along with painting...black paint, metallics, candies, and kameleon colors are the hardest to paint and color match...although it is possible, when spraying silver u might get the metallic particles going a different direction as the OE color so when it reflects light it looks different colors...i have an autobody paint class and an autobody/frame repair class...and thats what i've learned...silver metallics and blacks are esp. hard to paint because in black paints its hard not to show runs or streaks in the paint and silver paints its hard to match the tone of it because there are so many different variations of the same color
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
Go with the Magnesium Metallic man!! I love the new color, check out my ride. I got the new '04 Magnesium Metallic color.

I disagree with the other guy saying that dirt shows up on this car easily. This car is perfect for dirt and dust. You can hardly tell it's ever there. I can drive my car in the rain or let a pound of dust get on it and the only way you can tell the car is dirty is to get next to it or you can tell from the windows being dirty. Other than that, it's the easiest car to keep clean. I've owned a black and white car and a metallic silver neon and by far this is the easiest to disguise dirt and dust. Plus it sticks out and looks nice. it's not as common as the all might silver.

Last edited by matrix311; 09-27-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
^^ holy crap.

can anyone say resize the pic?
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
about a year + some months ago, that magnesium (flaked gunmetal) was so hot. It was great seeing it custom painted on a car once in a while.

But then EVERY car started being produced in it! In My Opinion, it got played out It's a great color, it's just that everyone and their grandmother is driving a car with it... doesn't seem so special anymore
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

Mischieflts is an unknown quantity at this point
whoever said there are hardly any silver civics, is a ****ing idiot. i had to repaint mine just because it was silver and every god damn civic within a 100 mile radius was the same. its not even a color its more like just..... ploop., AEDFPKSE_DF(U
Old 09-27-2004

Originally Posted by Mischieflts
whoever said there are hardly any silver civics, is a ****ing idiot. i had to repaint mine just because it was silver and every god damn civic within a 100 mile radius was the same. its not even a color its more like just..... ploop., AEDFPKSE_DF(U
i think he was joking....
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XxSoVeReiGNxX
about a year + some months ago, that magnesium (flaked gunmetal) was so hot. It was great seeing it custom painted on a car once in a while.

But then EVERY car started being produced in it! In My Opinion, it got played out It's a great color, it's just that everyone and their grandmother is driving a car with it... doesn't seem so special anymore

I rarely see that magnesium color on civics around here and i'm in phoenix, there are a lot of damn people here. I see silver civics every which way i look.

Just take a look at this photo album, this was of our 7thgen Civic meet this last Saturday in Phoenix, AZ. i was the only car that wasn't silver for the most part. 98% of the cars were silver, i had mine, there was a green civic and a black one. the rest were silver.

Phoenix 7thgen Meet
Old 09-27-2004
w00t

mine looks better...haha sike...but yeh its the best car to have clean...and you cant see the water spots if you forget to dry your car...its a great color
Old 09-27-2004

Everyone around here has black or silver...i wish mine was red...
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

Civic04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy Huge picture Batman @ matrix311 lol

Anyway as far as the ssm and touching up the paint goes i havent had any probs i wait untill i get a few chips, mix the paint single stage,touch up the spots, alittle hand sanding and buffing and shes beautiful. As far as looking dirty goes its not bad i ash mine every other day so i dont see it dirty that often but when it does get a little dirty it not really noticeable

And yes im crazy about how my car looks

Last edited by Civic04; 09-27-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2004
I usually put a cucumber in my bum when I jerk off!

CivicRocker02 is an unknown quantity at this point
i <3 my titanium no one has it
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

CivicTrip will become famous soon enoughCivicTrip will become famous soon enough
I love my titanium, its the best color ever!
Old 09-27-2004
w00t

uhh civic trip..its called magnesium =\
it even says it in your sig...
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally Posted by matrix311
I rarely see that magnesium color on civics around here and i'm in phoenix, there are a lot of damn people here. I see silver civics every which way i look.

Just saying Mazdas are using the color, so are Volkswagens. Hell, Corollas come in that color too. That kind of kills the exclusive feeling of it.
It was a new color for cars. A few more years and even Hyundais and Kias will be using the color regularly.

**back on topic

It's not one of the choices, but I would go for white. As long as you don't really mess up the paint job, blemishes like rock chips, scratches, some dirt are hard to spot.

Between the two, I would pick Silver because if I had Titanium (magnesium whatever) I would get pissed off seeing another of the same color more. If I had silver I wouldn't care as much seeing others because it is plainly a common color (like red too), whereas Titanium is fairly uncommon yet
Old 09-27-2004
Registered!!

CivicTrip will become famous soon enoughCivicTrip will become famous soon enough
SORRY!, i just worked a 14 hour day...im a little delerious...Magnesium...yeah thats it...um i think
Old 09-27-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
Gray!!!

SSM is one of the worst paints honda has.
Old 09-27-2004
w00t

Originally Posted by CivicTrip
SORRY!, i just worked a 14 hour day...im a little delerious...Magnesium...yeah thats it...um i think
lol..thats alot of fvcking work man