General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Civic = 6th most popular selling auto so far

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really nice
Civic = 6th most popular selling auto so far

Last Year I believe it dropped to 7, but so far it's back up #6. I thought with the new Neon and the Mazda 3 the sales might have been hurt...

Ford F-Series

Chevrolet Silverado

Dodge Ram

Toyota Camry / Camry Solara

Honda Accord

Honda Civic

Chevrolet Impala

Ford Taurus

Nissan Altima

Ford Explorer
Old 05-05-2004
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sure the 3 and the Neon will take some sales away from the Civic. After both of those cars are better equipped than the Civic, Honda has really gone down with the Civic. It is not competitive anymore.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
aparently it is if it is still #3, they just trade equipment for quality
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Trucks have always been at the top.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
this is USA.

honda must compete with national product....and also think about "isolated" people in your area.....nobody wanna buy import cars....some of em might even don't know about honda at all...

let's say....i was told by my local honda dealer that in some area, people "isolated" by people who bought non-domestic cars (imports), why? cos' everybody else in that area got a domestic car.....

make sense?

honda's merely number 1 or 2 in nearly all asian countries.... those who don't have domestic cars...

Last edited by zen_master; 05-05-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2004

Jollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really nice
Originally posted by MrWong
I am sure the 3 and the Neon will take some sales away from the Civic. After both of those cars are better equipped than the Civic, Honda has really gone down with the Civic. It is not competitive anymore.
Wow... If being the 3rd highest selling car in the country is "not competitive anymore" you can bet there ALOT of car companies out there that wish they were "not competitive anymore" either!
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

like i said, in nearly all asian contries....honda rules....along with toyota, nissan, mitsubishi...mazda....all japanese..

hey, do you guys know, Ford sedan are all used as a taxi car in Indonesia?

well2.....can't compare it with merc taxi in europe though..
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by zen_master
like i said, in nearly all asian contries....honda rules....along with toyota, nissan, mitsubishi...mazda....all japanese..

hey, do you guys know, Ford sedan are all used as a taxi car in Indonesia?

well2.....can't compare it with merc taxi in europe though..
I know when I saw Mercedes being used as a taxi in Spain I was like

I talked to another taxi cab driver of a Renault and he said the Mercedes was the lower end taxi.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
where did you get your stats from? and is this list only from the start of 2004 till now may? cuz i remember the civic had a record high of 330k sold in 2002. my stats came from honda.
Old 05-05-2004
Bushido

Originally posted by Jollysid
Wow... If being the 3rd highest selling car in the country is "not competitive anymore" you can bet there ALOT of car companies out there that wish they were "not competitive anymore" either!
Come on man, the Civic used to be a killer for sales. Since the introduction of 3, Civic sales are slipping, it could be due to the fact that the 7th gen is in its mid to end cycle of its life.

In general the 7th gen Civic was not a decent seller compared to previous models of Civics. As I said most of the cars that classed with the Civic are better equipped for less money. You cannot tell me that the Mazda 3 does not give you more for your dollar man. A bigger engine with much more torque. Better designed interior, better available options does optional HIDs come to mind ?

Options for the Civic is minimal at the least, cars like the Jetta have more available options than the Civic. Even the Echo Hatchback (for Canadians) has more options.

If Honda wants to relive the 90's where it dominated the Sub compact/compact market. It is going to have to turn the Civic into a more competitive product.
Old 05-05-2004
Registered!!

02ciVike is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I don't know if you know this or not but in Canada the Honda Civic was the second best selling vehicle second only to the Ford F-150 truck. Also it has been the number one selling car in its class for five consecutive years here.
Old 05-05-2004
Bushido

Yes that is true it has been a good seller, however with tougher competition the Civic will fall from its no. 1 spot.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving my Civic. However, it is getting a bit old.

Hopefully Honda will give it a much needed update in pretty much every category. (Interior, powertrain, exterior) with the 8th gen.
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
maybe civic will suffer like the corolla. 10-15 years ago, the corolla was on top. i think the appeal of the car is more important than the bang for the buck. the corolla lost its appeal so the civic became the king of the small cars. unless the civic loses its appeal, it will still reign in sales. this concept works for all japanese cars. look at the camry and accords. 90% of their sales come from the 4 bangers. taurus, altimas and malibus offered better bang for yourbuck, but their sales was nothing compared to the camrys and accords. so the bottomline is appeal, not features.

... well thats what i think at least hehe
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

invasian is an unknown quantity at this point
honda should start making trucks!
Old 05-06-2004
Registered!!

hence the SUT......it's only v6 though....

anyway, i do also think that honda need to re-design their product totally.....and get a big bang again in the market...

hopefully 8thgen will do the trick..
Old 05-06-2004

Originally posted by mrchowmein
where did you get your stats from? and is this list only from the start of 2004 till now may? cuz i remember the civic had a record high of 330k sold in 2002. my stats came from honda.
This list is only for this year so far. I got it from MSN auto if I remember.
Old 05-06-2004

Come on man, the Civic used to be a killer for sales. Since the introduction of 3, Civic sales are slipping, it could be due to the fact that the 7th gen is in its mid to end cycle of its life.

How is the number #3 top seliing car in the country NOT a killer for sales? How is going from #7 last year to #6 this year slipping?

You cannot tell me that the Mazda 3 does not give you more for your dollar man. A bigger engine with much more torque. Better designed interior, better available options does optional HIDs come to mind ?
I dont care if you like the Mazda 3, that's not what this thread was about. Where did I tell you that it wasn't a good deal? Nowhere. Maybe if you feel so strongly about the Mada 3 you should go sell them, that way you can tell the people who aren't buying them how great they are. Either way I could care less, I simply posted the list of the top sellers and commented that I was surprised the civic was still so strong despite rather tough competition.
Old 05-06-2004
Bushido

Originally posted by Jollysid
How is the number #3 top seliing car in the country NOT a killer for sales? How is going from #7 last year to #6 this year slipping?

I dont care if you like the Mazda 3, that's not what this thread was about. Where did I tell you that it wasn't a good deal? Nowhere. Maybe if you feel so strongly about the Mada 3 you should go sell them, that way you can tell the people who aren't buying them how great they are. Either way I could care less, I simply posted the list of the top sellers and commented that I was surprised the civic was still so strong despite rather tough competition.
If you have read the post more carefully, then you will see that said, if Honda does not make more improvements to the next line of Civics. Then they will continue to lost market share, however I am sure they are hard at work doing that right now. We just have to wait a year or so to see what they bring out.
Old 05-06-2004

If you have read the post more carefully, then you will see that said, if Honda does not make more improvements to the next line of Civics. Then they will continue to lost market share, however I am sure they are hard at work doing that right now. We just have to wait a year or so to see what they bring out.
Well I really didn;t get that from what you wrote, but if that's waht you meant then fine. My point was that I was surprised to see that the Civic is NOT losing their market share. They're gaining(at least in the short term). I actually agree that there's cars out there in the the civics' class that have passed in performance in styling in a many ways, but according to the sales numbers they haven't been able pull people away from the civic. Now I certainly hope they continue to improve the civic, but would it even matter? Are people going to buy civics anyway? It seems so...
Old 05-07-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
WE RocK
Old 05-07-2004
Registered!!

seriously dudes,

civic's better than corrola...

but camry might be better than accord...

in term of people's preference..
Old 05-07-2004
Registered!!

bmuise_civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah ford maybe on the top, but think about it hondas rule and thats it, anyone driving a ford is garanteed to be in the shop at least 7 days a week. FORD SUCK
Old 05-08-2004
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the civic is still doing well but not quite as well as in the past. This is due is part to the civic itself but also in part to a market becoming saturated with cars in the same class.

Also, you have to remember that the honda name is what sells the cars, not the features.

Lastly, toyota sells a lot more camrys to fleet accounts than honda sells accords. Honda doesn't like to discount it's cars for fleet accounts.

In the end, honda is suffering a little bit in the sales department. This is why you are seeing a lot more advertising from them.
Old 03-24-2005
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
Civics are cool, but I am tired of the ricer profiling in my area.
Anyone wanna buy my car?
Old 03-24-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JX6
Civics are cool, but I am tired of the ricer profiling in my area.
Anyone wanna buy my car?
bwahahaha... this was totally weird. off topic, and you brought back an old post
Old 03-24-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
yea trucks are at the top becuase like 75% of america is non urban.
Old 03-24-2005
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrWong
ahh, just wait. they probably let the civic slide a gen, so that the next gen will be twice as good. maybe k20a in all civics?!?

my friend who's a car dealer tries selling me a Mazda 3, where it has 160 hp at 2.3 litres. i just respond that honda has a 2.0 liter that makes 200 hp!
Old 03-24-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
thats kool
Old 03-25-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
That is weird the Impala is so high... I rarley see them in San Antonio
Old 03-25-2005
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
im not suprised trucks ar the top

Quick Reply: Civic = 6th most popular selling auto so far