General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Mazda Rev It Up - TEST DRIVE: RX-8, Mazda 3, Miata, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004
I Queef > You

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sKwiD is on a distinguished road
Mazda Rev It Up - TEST DRIVE: RX-8, Mazda 3, Miata, etc.

We intended to go and watch our friends race the Mazda 3's today, but we just ended up test driving all of the Mazdas all day. They have a little slalom where you can just basically test drive the Mazdas. Just have to be 18+ and its free.
First one I wanted to drive was the 6-Speed Mazda RX-8. Man the rotary engine pulls so hard. Short shifting. Handling is so tight and stiff, so nice! This was by far (obviously) the best car there.

Second car I drove was the MPV, the minivan. I actually fell in love with this van, so I actually drove it twice. Shares the same 200hp engine as the Tribute SUV. For a van, this thing hauls ***! Beat our Civics anyday, even if it was filled with 10 year old soccer players and a soccer mom for a driver. It handle's great too, better than one of the Mazda 3's I was driving.

Third car I drove was the Mazda 3i. 148 hp, 4 door. Feels kinda heavy at first until you hit about between 4 and 5K rpm, then the Mazda style of the VTEC kicks in (VVTI? I don't know). Handles pretty good too, despite the fact that the brakes were all sticky from being driven all morning, and the fact that the rear tires were bald, literally.

Fourth car I drove was the Mazda 3s. 160 hp 5door wagon. I hated this car. Its only 100lbs heavier than the 3s 4 door, but it was slow! Handled like crap, the 3i handled better. Acceleration sucked, the 3i was prob faster. The only thing good about this car was that inside the glove box was a DVD player.

Fifth car was the Mazdaspeed Miata. 6 Speed, Turbo, I forgot how much horsepower. The brakes were also sticky on this car. If you rev it, its casual up to 4k. I guess its the turbo lag. After 4K rpms it just bullets! Handling was great too, kinda hard to compare to the RX-8 b/c they're not the same style of car. Miata is lighter and handles differently, but the RX-8 won't lose traction anywhere at all! Definitely a fun car.

My friend drove the Tribute SUV while I sat passenger. Same engine as the MPV, lighter, but seems a lot slower. She was flying through the cones too, and the car was just sliding everywhere. Too much understeer, or oversteer. Felt like understeer, even though the SUV is probably rear wheel drive. Anyway, this was probably the worst car, next to the 3s Wagon.

Didn't feel like driving the big ol heavy looking Mazda 6. Overall, Mazda's are pretty nice cars. I'd say the best attribute is the handling (ZOOM ZOOM).

Afterwards I went to the San Diego 7thgen meet. There were supposed to be 20+ people, but only 7 showed up. Everybody else fluked. I think all of the San Diego people showed, but I guess the guys didn't feel like driving from L.A. Sad, sad....
Old 03-21-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
mazda 3's "vtec" is called zetec.. same motor found in the focus...
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
damn....owned by Ford....geez...
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

6_funk is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what you mean about the 5door.
they seem very heavy.

that's why i bought the 3GT sedan. 3s 4door in the states.
i wish they had one in toronto. i'd love to drive the rx-8 around a track
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

guys, ur opinion...

what's gonna happen to Mazda Protege 5 with the appearance of Mazda 3?
(i mean the 5 doors..)
Old 03-21-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
they might stop manufacturing it
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

that must be. how bout the used price? ha ha...is it gonna drop?
Old 03-21-2004
I Queef > You

Haven't they stopped manufacturing the Protege 5 since like last year? Or are they still making it? I didn't see it at Rev It Up.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
The Mazda website doesn't list the Proteges anymore.
No more, sedan, 5, or Mazdaspeed Protege.
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

trahma is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by WannaBFast
mazda 3's "vtec" is called zetec.. same motor found in the focus...
This statement is actually very incorrect. As of 05, the Zetec is dead within ford. The Mazda3 uses the duratec motor which is the same motor that is found in the Mazda6 and the 2.3L Focus. This will also be in the 05 Focus. As has been covered numerous times here, Zetec is a motor type, not variable valve timing, which btw the duratec motor found in at least one of the Mazda3's has. I can't remember if all the mazda 3's have this feature or just the higher model.

( now awaits the 20 Focus / Ford bashing replies that have nothing to do with the topic of this thread )
Old 03-22-2004
I Queef > You

The only Focus I'd take is the European WRC rally focus. Oh so nice!
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point
I would take a SVT Focus over the Si Civic any day. The Si is an embarrassment for Honda. I did drive a Mazda 3s Sedan 5 speed and liked it quite a bit - felt more refined than the Civic as well it should for the $19,000+ for the one I drove. I liked the 17" rims. Given the choice I would rather buy an 04 Accord LX coupe and buy a nice set of rims.