Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Checking compression thru spark plug tubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSUfan71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Checking compression thru spark plug tubes

What kit do you guys use to check compression on a Honda engine through these spark plug tubes?

Do you use extensions with the rubber cones? I would rather a kit with a hard pipe extension that will screw into the spark plug threads.

Thanks in advance for tool suggestions.
Old 11-19-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Checking compression thru spark plug tubes

I have a gauge I bought at autozone a while ago. Pressure gauge with a rubber hose with a metal end that threads into the spark plug tube. Hasn't failed me yet
Old 11-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you use extensions with the rubber cones?
Never.
Old 11-20-2018
Registered!!

LSUfan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Pressure gauge with a rubber hose with a metal end that threads into the spark plug tube. Hasn't failed me yet
But how do you get it threaded securely without an extension? 🤷🏼*♂️

I’m waiting on this kit right now (with extension tube):
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by ezone
Never.
Thanks, I didn’t like the look of it.
Old 11-29-2018
Registered!!

99EXDude is an unknown quantity at this point

I got this one from Amazon and it's quality.
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-29-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I purchased one from Harbor Frieght a few years aand it served me well for home use. It looks very similar to the Amazon kit you posted. Just a few tips prior to use: If you need to screw on a threaded tip to the hose make sure the tip is fastened tightly prior to inserting into the cylinder head. I clamped the hose's threaded base (not threads) in a bench vice being careful not to compress and bend the base. I used a bit of blue Loc-Tite thread locker on the hose's thread and then installed the correct sized adapter tip and tighten using channel-lock pliers and also being careful not to bend the adaper. Doing this prior to inserting/tighteneing in the the cylinder head's spark plug threads, along with adding a bit of oil to the compression tester's adapter tip threads should prevent the adapter tip from getting stuck into the cylinder head threads.

As far as doing a proper compression test you may want to do it the following way:
Charge the battery a few hours before the compression test and keep the battery charger hooked up to the battery during the compression test to provide optimal cranking.
Have a helper push the gas pedal to the floor during cranking while you watch the compression gauge. This will disable the fuel injectors. Alternatively, disconnect the indiviual fuel injector's harness.
Have your helper crank the engine 3 or 4 revolutions past the peak psi number reading you view on the gauge. This will provide a more accurate reading.
Repeat the test with a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder (wet test). Ensure you write down the psi readings of each cylinder for both the dry and wet compression test.