General 6th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Is my mechanic playing me dirty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my mechanic playing me dirty?

Backstory first:
I brought my car into my mechanic due to a oil leak. The car in question is a 97 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed Coupe. He suggested I replaced the engine assembly. I forgot the reason why but I said okay. $1,600 was charged to my accounts for the repairs/service. He said he was going to put in another used engine but on the receipt is said engine assembly replacement along other services.

A few months later after I got my car back. I drove for a few additional months and I noticed oil leaking under my car again. I brought it in to get checked out. He then called me in a few weeks later saying my car is ready. He said he replaced a "VTEC Solenoid Gasket. I was foolish in that I didn't ask for receipt but he did charged me $160 for the repair. A month later, I noticed oil leaking under my car again.

Questions:
1) Does a 97 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed Coupe even have a VTEC Solenoid? My car isn't even a VTEC?
2) Just to be sure, how can I check that my car isn't really a VTEC if a 97 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed Coupe isn't supposed to have a VTEC Solenoid?
3) How can I check that my mechanic did really replace my engine assembly? What does it mean to replace an engine assembly? He mentioned he was going to put another used engine inside, is there some kind of bar code or engine serial code I can check or look for?
4) Could my oil leak be a result of a loose oil pan bolt (The bolt you use to drain the oil)? What's the best way to check? Because the oil leak happens after I go for a drive. If I turn it on cold and let it run on idle, I don't see any leak, but I only let it idle for 5 seconds then turn it offu. Should I let it idle for longer?
Old 10-21-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is my mechanic playing me dirty?

A new engine for an oil leak!?! A lot cheaper to just keep putting oil in it.

Yes it should have VTEC you can tell by looking for the solenoid. Picture in this thread:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-vtec-not.html
Old 10-21-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if he put a different engine in, you will need to check which engine he put in. At the mating engine/transmission, you should find a code, D16xx. Check that first.

for oil leaks, check the engine bay after you drive.
Old 10-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: I hope your mechanic at least offered to use lube to ease the pain..lol. Your mechanic sucks and you should always get a second opinion when it comes to a major repair like engine replacement. Maybe he has an expensive drug habit?
Old 10-25-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...That car is only worth like $2000.

Might have been cheaper to sell the car cheap with the leak for $1000 and found another $2000 car that would then only net you a $1000 loss.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

it's really not fair to judge the mechanic without the OP remembering why he recommended engine replacement. maybe it had a worn thrust bearing causing excessive crankshaft end play and was pushing the oil seals partially out due to a poorly selected overly stiff clutch, a shitty owner neglecting oil changes or a shitty driver holding the clutch pedal in at redlights since 1997.

his previous post doesn't sound like a mechanic out to rob him and sell him unneeded stuff:

I'm back with an update for future reference.

It turns out my clutch-fork snapped. It broke.

My mechanic welded it back together.

I lost the photo.

It's working fine now

Last edited by RobertD; 10-25-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
it's really not fair to judge the mechanic without the OP remembering why he recommended engine replacement. maybe it had a worn thrust bearing causing excessive crankshaft end play and was pushing the oil seals partially out due to a poorly selected overly stiff clutch, a shitty owner neglecting oil changes or a shitty driver holding the clutch pedal in at redlights since 1997.

his previous post doesn't sound like a mechanic out to rob him and sell him unneeded stuff:

I'm back with an update for future reference.

It turns out my clutch-fork snapped. It broke.

My mechanic welded it back together.

I lost the photo.

It's working fine now
Yeah. He treated me well in the past. But he supposedly put in a new (used) engine and it is leaking oil after several months of city driving. I brought it back to him to fix and it is still leaking oil. It's just sketchy now.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
...That car is only worth like $2000.

Might have been cheaper to sell the car cheap with the leak for $1000 and found another $2000 car that would then only net you a $1000 loss.
Where can I find a car in drive-able conditions for 2k?
Old 10-26-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

i could find about a dozen civics in my area for that price or less that run and drive
Old 10-26-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would have invested the $1600. It’s a car you are familiar with and possibly know the history. Why sell a car for a $1000 to buy another car with unknown issues for $2000. A $2000 car is going to have some issues (it will probably leak oil) could even have been repaired with head gasket sealant and is only a matter of time before it self destructs.

That being said I would get another opinion from another mechanic. The oil leak was not fixed with engine replacement and it not fixed with VTEC gasket so he is not diagnosing the issue very well!!