General 6th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

B20B civic hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Papichu is an unknown quantity at this point
B20B civic hatchback

I just bought a b20b 96 civic dx hatchback, first time ever
buying a 5 speed never bought a stick before , the guy that sold it to me told me it has a LS transmission , what exactly does that mean? Also he said he put a p28 chipped ECU do not know what either of those are I am new in the car world
and wondering if I can get some help understanding my car the car was a great deal and I would like to hook up this car into a decent show car but would like some help or guidance.
Old 09-28-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: B20B civic hatchback

Google is your friend...search away!!
Old 09-28-2018
Registered!!

Im searching around just a lot to take in so that’s why I joined this forum to get some advice
Old 09-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99stockcivic will become famous soon enough

The LS transmission means it came from an Acura and is an upgraded transmission vs stock. I don't know that it would make much difference if there's nothing else going on with the car. Chipped means it's a modified ECU car computer. Unless you know what was done, you would have to explore what has been changed from stock. Theoretically you might have a couple of horses over stock, but I wouldn't make much of that. The main thing is to go get it inspected and make sure it passes saftey and emissions. then start practicing your stick shift driving. I have a 1999 with a stick and like it. At that age, you really have to make sure things like suspension is good, like control arms, shocks, springs, etc and motor mounts (there are 5 of them on your car) are in good shape or you will end up with problems, I think especially with a stick. I changed all mine over the weekend, it's not too hard. But get OEM if you want less vibration. good luck.
Old 09-29-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

B20 stock low compression with a chipped ECU should be around 135 hp and 130 torque at the crank. If the engine is high compression then up those numbers to 145/140. If, it's a Vtec head then somewhere around 170hp and 150 torque at peak.

Try learning 1st to 2nd on uphill surfaces...will get you used to clutch manuvering.

The issues with non stock engine swaps is ordering correct parts and hoping that whoever did the swap did a proper job of it.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-29-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2018
Registered!!

Thanks y’all appreciate the advice well see how my build ends up going