General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

2010 civic air cond. blows not so cold sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
morrisL is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 civic air cond. blows not so cold sometimes

I think it may be blend door control, it can be blowing cold then go to barely cool. I can turn temp control all way to hot for a few seconds then all back to cold and it will start blowing cold air again. I just had complete air condition kit installed after compressor went out.
Old 09-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 civic air cond. blows not so cold sometimes

I think it may be blend door control
Get under the dash and watch it
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: 2010 civic air cond. blows not so cold sometimes

Originally Posted by ezone
Get under the dash and watch it
LOL, I'll try, I'm old and fat. I turned fan off and turned control **** all way to hot and could hear motor working going to hot but when I turned back to cold could'nt hear anything, I'll try and contort myself to see what's happening if I can find it. Thanks
Old 09-01-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Air mix motor is on the side of the heater box up above the gas pedal area. Mirror and flashlight?
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Air mix motor is on the side of the heater box up above the gas pedal area. Mirror and flashlight?
I looked with mirror & light and the accuator moves all the way to the end going to heat, back to cold it only goes halfway. Recon it needs a little white grease? Thanks ezone
Old 09-01-2018

When it gets stuck reach up there and "help" it along, see if that does anything
Lube it if you want. White Lithium should be ok for plastic? Can't hurt other than making a mess lol

I'd probably remove the motor then work the linkages by hand to see if a door inside the box is dragging
Hold motor in hand and run the temp control up and down and see if the motor does or does not work correctly
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

When it gets stuck reach up there and "help" it along, see if that does anything
Lube it if you want. White Lithium should be ok for plastic? Can't hurt other than making a mess lol

I'd probably remove the motor then work the linkages by hand to see if a door inside the box is dragging
Hold motor in hand and run the temp control up and down and see if the motor does or does not work correctly
I cycled it several times, tried to move linkage along past halfway, couldn't budge it. It may not be supposed to go past half way. I will have to wait until next thursday to remove it when I go back to my farm as all my tools and shop is there. It maybe working intermitantly sometimes, the first time I cycled it it couldn't hear the motor go back to cool. Anyway when I drive it this week if I hear it not go back to cool I'll leave it there and then check it to see position of the linkage. If it hangs up I'm thinking the door is hanging up. Thanks ezone
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by morrisL
I cycled it several times, tried to move linkage along past halfway, couldn't budge it. It may not be supposed to go past half way. I will have to wait until next thursday to remove it when I go back to my farm as all my tools and shop is there. It maybe working intermitantly sometimes, the first time I cycled it it couldn't hear the motor go back to cool. Anyway when I drive it this week if I hear it not go back to cool I'll leave it there and then check it to see position of the linkage. If it hangs up I'm thinking the door is hanging up. Thanks ezone
The linkage goes all the way to the end on heat, but only comes back to cool half way, that may be the way it's supposed to.
Old 09-01-2018

The linkage goes all the way to the end on heat, but only comes back to cool half way, that may be the way it's supposed to.
I can't picture what the linkage looks like on that car but they can be deceptive. Often there's more than one link actuated by the motor (be observant before you remove the motor!)
Once you get the motor removed you can check more.

Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Could it be that the air conditioner is freezing up from a faulty a/c-heat control panel?
Old 09-03-2018

Could it be that the air conditioner is freezing up from a faulty a/c-heat control panel?
If it were, this would not have happened

I can turn temp control all way to hot for a few seconds then all back to cold and it will start blowing cold air again
The typical control panel fail causes the compressor to run all the time, never cycling
Old 09-03-2018
Registered!!

Thanks ezone, compressor is cycling as it should. I have not driven it a lot since I had all new a/c installed. Shortly after I had it installed it started blowing not so cool air just once, I turned temp control all the way hot for a few seconds then back to cool and it started blowing cold air. I then loaned the car to my daughter for about three weeks as her hubby totaled his truck and ordered a new one. After about 2 weeks she called me and told me the air had quit working. I told her to turn temp all way to hot for a few seconds , she did and said it was working good. that's the only 2 times it's done it. .I have it back now and drove it around a while this morning and it's working perfect. I will drive until it does it again and leave it like it is and take it back to a/c tech as it has a 6 mo warranty on labor, life time on parts. Got to be a gremlin somewhere.
Old 09-03-2018

Thanks ezone, compressor is cycling as it should. I have not driven it a lot since I had all new a/c installed. Shortly after I had it installed it started blowing not so cool air just once, I turned temp control all the way hot for a few seconds then back to cool and it started blowing cold air. I then loaned the car to my daughter for about three weeks as her hubby totaled his truck and ordered a new one. After about 2 weeks she called me and told me the air had quit working. I told her to turn temp all way to hot for a few seconds , she did and said it was working good. that's the only 2 times it's done it. .I have it back now and drove it around a while this morning and it's working perfect. I will drive until it does it again and leave it like it is and take it back to a/c tech as it has a 6 mo warranty on labor, life time on parts. Got to be a gremlin somewhere.

Your current issue kinda sounds like it might be caused by a flaky potentiometer (used as the position sensor) in the air mix servo.

Unless you can determine there is some obstruction inside the HVAC case causing a door to bind, I don't see this being related to the previous AC work and even then that's only if someone removed or replaced the evaporator core and somehow managed to cause some issue to the doors inside the box that way, that's the only thing I can think of that might have any connection to your current issue.