General 8th & 9th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

2006 civic 2dr should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aj1436 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 civic 2dr should I buy?

I have the opportunity to buy a 06 civic for a very good price. it has 130,000 miles 5 spd man and pretty clean just a dent in the rear quarter .But I have read about the tsb 10-048 and that scares me how do I know if this car is affected or not the bulletin only says ALL VINs beginning with 1HG or 2HG – Check eligibility with a iN VIN status inquiry.
and the car is a 2HG so is it subject to this or is there a way to further know? I do not want to throw my hard earned money away...
Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 07-09-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 civic 2dr should I buy?

It WAS in the affected group.
It is no longer covered by the 10 year warranty extension that was granted to that group.

Not all of the engines have the problem.
Only a small percentage of the group develop the issue. (IMO)

You could crawl up under the engine and find the VIN plate on the back of the engine block, see if it matches the VIN on the car

--If it matches, it's the original engine block.

--If it does not match, that means it's been replaced with a used engine--and you can research that vin on the block to determine what the engine came out of.

--If there is no VIN tag on the engine block at all, and the block is bare aluminum (not painted) that means it has an replacement block (updated part) that came from a Honda dealer, most likely installed during the 10 year warranty at some point in the cars life.

If the block has been painted, it's likely a replacement that was sourced from a rebuilder such as Jasper engines or similar.

If you get it for a great price, you can afford to toss an engine in it if it ever does become an issue.
Old 07-09-2018
Registered!!

Thank you for the quick reply.
is 1900 a good price? Im pretty sure that's around a 1000 less than the average price.
Old 07-09-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aj1436
is 1900 a good price? Im pretty sure that's around a 1000 less than the average price.
IDK. That's not my field.
Why so low? Salvage title? Problems they know about but aren't telling you?

PRE-purchase inspection!

Make sure all recalls are up to date too. Check here below or have your local dealership check the VIN
Old 07-09-2018
Registered!!

im not sure I took it for a few mile ride and it seemed fine I wasn't use to how smooth the clutch was. it needs a hood and there is a dent in the quarter my uncle has drove it further and it was ok.. I all ready checked the vin and everything was good it is very clean so I don't know .. like you said I'm going to climb under it and look for a vin on the block . any idea where the vin is located?
and no it isn't a salvage title.
Old 07-09-2018

any idea where the vin is located?
Back of the block, approximately in line with #3 cylinder, just above the oil pan.
Usually a green metal tag, held in place with what will look like rivets.

An original engine wouldn't scare me, but then it's not difficult for me to replace it if it goes to hell either.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

ok, thank you ezone. I will check it .. yea I have never changed a front wheel drive motor just v8s in pre 90 car and trucks. never had to drop a subframe before . but I think I'm going to buy it and take the risk hopefully it will be fine. I need something to replace my 96 stratus that is comparable in gas mileage (32mpg mixed city and highway) . every one always tells me how good Hondas are soo I'm gonna give them a go.
Old 07-10-2018

Search the forum....I've posted pics (googled) of where the cracks can form in several different threads here, and there's at least one thread that has a few pics of one of these drivetrains on a movers dolly getting the block replaced.

I said a small percentage IMO because I'm the only one in our shop that does them, and out of all the cars in our area I haven't had to do very many.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

ok one last thing my uncle crawled under it and it is a bare aluminum block with a matching vin. so is that original?
Old 07-10-2018

Originally Posted by aj1436
ok one last thing my uncle crawled under it and it is a bare aluminum block with a matching vin. so is that original?
That means it still has its original block.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

ok thank you I appreciate all your help