General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

what's a good shift boots that shows the gear no.?

Old 11-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
happy hopping is an unknown quantity at this point
what's a good shift boots that shows the gear no.?

The current TYPE R has the regular consealed shirt boot, that it is cover in leather, so the boot doesn't show the actual gear no. you shift to. What are 1 or 2 top brand name shift boots that shows the actual gear no. you shift to, and can dealership install it for you
Old 11-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: what's a good shift boots that shows the gear no.?

you mean the ****?

you want engraved, or display the actual gear like a raxiom or indycator?

i recommend sticking with the leather. metal ***** suck. hot in the summer cold in the winter.
Old 11-05-2018
Registered!!

no, not the ****. The base, I want the exact same thing at post no. 5 of our forum thread here: Can it be done?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ernatives.html
Old 11-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

so you want a gated shifter?
well anything is possible with enough money
Old 11-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

I believe the gears are too closely spaced with the nice sporty shifter. That were great in the 1980s Lamborghinis but with short throws I don't think there's enough room left and right in between gears for something like that to work correctly in your car
Old 11-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertD
That were great in the 1980s Lamborghinis
I remember noticing the gated shifter in some Ferraris of that era, but I don't recall noticing it in the Countachs I drove. At least it doesn't stand out in my faded memories now.

Oh, sometimes I miss the perks of working for a German high line car dealership LOL

Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

alright, this sounds goofy. But here's what happens, at the Type R and the Civic Si, gear 6 is down and so is Reverse.

I always have fear that shifting to Gear 6 could accidentally shift to reverse instead. It shouldn't happen, because it's harder to shift to Reverse than Gear 6. But there is that risk. But if I can see it, then there is no chance of that mistake. Believe it or not, for this reason only, I never use gear 6.
Old 11-06-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

pretty sure that's impossible on newer cars
Old 11-06-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happy hopping
alright, this sounds goofy. But here's what happens, at the Type R and the Civic Si, gear 6 is down and so is Reverse.

I always have fear that shifting to Gear 6 could accidentally shift to reverse instead. It shouldn't happen, because it's harder to shift to Reverse than Gear 6. But there is that risk.
Nope. Some trans are gated mechanically so it won't allow you to go into R without swinging the shift lever through the neutral area first.
Others have a solenoid that is activated above a certain speed so you cannot accidentally shift to reverse.

Believe it or not, for this reason only, I never use gear 6.
You may use 6th gear now.

But if I can see it, then there is no chance of that mistake.
Once I know the shift pattern on any given car/trans combo, I've never really needed to look again.

Last edited by ezone; 11-06-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: edited ftw!!!!
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

seriously? I never know that. I should have read the manual. Because my car is 2010 Civic Si, so at 5th gear, if I shift DOWN, to 6th gear, and my fear was I could accidentally Shift DOWN but to reverse.

Thanks for the tips
Old 11-06-2018

seriously? I never know that. I should have read the manual. Because my car is 2010 Civic Si, so at 5th gear, if I shift DOWN, to 6th gear, and my fear was I could accidentally Shift DOWN but to reverse.

Thanks for the tips
Edited my post above after actually checking service info (instead of my crummy memory LOL).
Some manual trans have a mechanical lockout to prevent reverse, others use an electric solenoid to lock out reverse above a certain speed.

You mentioned a 2010, the 5 speed trans had a mechanical lockout for reverse (what I was thinking when I wrote the other post), the 6 speed in the SI had a solenoid to lock out reverse.
I think all of the manuals in Civics are using a solenoid to lockout reverse now.
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

you know, this is interesting, I go back to the manual, those japanese must have miss this when they wrote the manual, because I don't see it, in which they should have mentioned this

The people in this thread are the first who told me about this lockout.
Old 11-20-2018

you know, this is interesting, I go back to the manual, those japanese must have miss this when they wrote the manual, because I don't see it, in which they should have mentioned this

The people in this thread are the first who told me about this lockout.
It's probably not mentioned in owners manuals because average drivers don't need to know or care about reverse lockout.
It simply works without any fuss and they just drive it without any worry.