Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications This section is for easy bolt-on engine modifications Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Aftermarket performance parts in my 2017 Honda Civic Ex hatchback

Old 06-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thewhitewolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Aftermarket performance parts in my 2017 Honda Civic Ex hatchback

Hi I own a 2017 Honda Civic ex hatchback and I need help with what types or kinds of aftermarket performance parts I can put in that car. I heard that since I have an CVT transmission I can’t exceed over 300hp (or so I’ve been told) but other then that I’m planning on getting a simple tuning and exhaust. So what brands would you guys recommend?
Old 06-30-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aftermarket performance parts in my 2017 Honda Civic Ex hatchback

Tuning: KTuner for tune. $450 for the V1.2, $650 for the V2 (it's the V1.2 with a fancy pants touchscreen tablet interface). The CVT can take the +6psi tune just fine (so I've read). Hondata also has their flashpro for the 1.5T, but it's not as versatile as KTuner's platform, and their basic one costs $650.

Exhaust: I haven't been a fan of how aftermarket exhausts sound on the 1.5T platform, but that's just me. The magnaflow has the best sounding exhaust that I like. I've also read that (at least on the Si) exhaust flow hasn't been a limiting factor, and that adding exhausts is pretty much just noise. Couldn't tell you whether or not that's true on the EX.

Along the lines of exhaust, look at PRL Motorsports' downpipe and frontpipe. Heard nothing but good things about those.

If you're thinking about an intake, the PRL Cobra CAI is a popular choice ($400), and Hondata actually ran it on their dyno. Another up-and-comer out there is 27WON ($392). Their hybrid CAI (filter sits in the OEM-ish location, but suction is from the fenderwell) showed a 10whp gain on a dyno (independent dyno from an actual customer, while 27WON only claimed 5whp gain). If you want a cheap way to get the turbo spool/BPV sound, check out my DIY SRI thread in the 10thgen DIY forum.

PRL also makes a drop in turbo upgrade, but it requires a tune. 27WON also released a drop in turbo upgrade recently that they designed from the ground up, and it's been promising, thus far, but also requires a tune.
Old 06-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thewhitewolf is an unknown quantity at this point

So I’ve heard that brands will start making more aftermarket parts for these cars because they are fairly new so there aren’t so much aftermarket parts out there for these cars yet. How does an engine swap sound like? (Not rn because that would definitely void my warranty) but in the future?
Old 06-30-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What would you swap, the CTR engine? The 1.5T is already kind of a badass; peak toruqe hits at about 4250 and maintains until just before 6000. If you can find a CTR engine, you'd only be getting half of what makes the CTR a beast. I'm not sure theres much else to swap in. If you're thinking, "well, what about the civic si engine?" It has the same engine as your hatch with a few differences: slightly beefier piston rods, digital MAF, and a slightly different turbo construction. You can easily outperform the Si with a +6 tune

Couldn't tell you why there's limited aftermarket support. Injen has.. One intake out for our car, and it sucks. There are only like 4-5 exhausts (magnaflow, borla, 27WON, to name a few) for non-CTR 10thgens.

What I like about the lesser known brands (PRL and 27WON, specifically) is that they're taking a lot of input from the community and doing the r&d to see if it works. Vincent at 27WON is using a team of engineers to make things on his 2018 sport hatch, making sure fitments and performance are of high standards.