DIY: KTuner v1.2 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: KTuner v1.2 Tune

I don't have pics of my own because I am invariably way too excited to put crap on my car when I get/do it. However, I figured a one-stop go-to guide would be helpful since I had to look at a few different sources to get it done (all in all, probably about 20 minutes of work). This tune was done with a KTuner V1.2 (no fancy pants touchscreen interface that eliminates the need for a laptop. You can flash tunes or flash back to stock and unlock the unit from the touchscreen). That, and I'll hotlink pics from the various pages I used and/or screenshot from the program on my computer.

***DISCLAIMER***
Follow this DIY at your own risk. Keep in mind that increasing power can increase wear and tear on your engine and/or void any applicable warranties. I am not responsible if you mess up your own car. This DIY guide is for informational purposes only and lists the procedure that worked in my personal experience.
Parts Needed:
  • KTuner V1.2 (or v2.0) - $449 ($649) plus shipping. www.twostepperformance.com offers free overnight shipping!
    • There's only one big difference between the two: The 1.2 requires the use of a computer/laptop to flash/load tunes onto the KTuner. The 2.0 has its own 7" touchscreen tablet and will run you an extra $200
    • My v1.2 package included the unit itself, a good length micro-USB cable, some decals, and a "welcome to KTuner" card that tells you where to download the software and get help if you need it (basically anything you can google that will lead you straight to their website)
    • Before purchasing the KTuner, take a look at your ECU (its in the engine bay, if you don't know) and make sure the part number is supported by KTuner (here the list of supported P/Ns)
Tools Needed:
  • Computer, of sorts (laptop recommended)
    • To make life easier, download and install the KTuner software prior to receiving your KTuner unit. You can download it here. I should note that the system requirements on their site says Windows XP SP3 or newer and has no mention of Mac OS being supported.
  • OPTIONAL: Android phone or tablet with bluetooth connectivity and the TunerView App installed ($4.99 google play store for the license for what to connect with -- it does support a variety of OBDII BT devices, see the app link for that list). The new update allows you to flash from the app based on the tunes you have stored (up to 5, I think) on the KTuner (with the exception of flashing back to stock).
    • Note: If you get a used v1.0 unit, it does not have bluetooth connectivity.
How it do:
KTuner software installation
  1. Download the program from KTuner's website (here's another link in case you missed it above)
  2. Run the install file, accept the terms and conditions, blah blah blah. When it gets to which drivers it wants you to install, select the appropriate one for your tuner. You'll be given 3 options: in-ecu (chip you solder into the ECU board like old school Hondata chips), V1.2, V2..0 touch. I opted for both the 1.2 and 2.0, just in case I decide to "upgrade" to the 2.0 at a later date. I probably won't since TunerView on my phone will do everything the 7" touchscreen can do with the exception of flashing back to stock and unlocking the unit. If you're running windows XP, you'll have to manually install those drivers (instructions here)
  3. The first time you run the program, you'll be greeted by the End User License Agreement. Accept that and it'll bring you to the product registration. Fill out the email and password and hit register (or update, if you have an account. I don't recall making an account, but apparently my email was already registered, so I chose the update route and it worked). Once it accepts it, hit close and wait a but for the GUI to show up.
Flashing your ECU
  1. Plug the KTuner unit into your OBDII port. It's white, trapezoidal in shape, and located between the pedals and steering wheel, to the left of the steering column.
  2. Connect the micro-USB cable to both the KTuner unit and your computer (if you don't know which end goes where, go back to sleep and try again tomorrow. lol) then run the KTuner program. Make sure you're connected to the internet and your laptop is plugged in (at least not on battery saver mode).
  3. Key on your car, but do not start the engine. After it connects, it'll ask you to register and lock the unit to your ECU.

Image source: www.ktuner.com
    Check the "I Agree" box then hit "Yes"
  4. Click on the "New File" button and load the tune you want to go with. It'll give you various options -- Stage 0 (16.5psi boost target), Stage 1 (18psi boost target), Stage 2 (21psi boost target), Dual Calibration (21psi normal, 16.5psi eco mode). They also have the basemaps to run enthanol (but requires the use of KTuner's flex fuel converter).
  5. Clicking the up arrow in the toolbar will pull up the option to upload the tune to the KTuner
  6. It'll ask you if you want to erase the ECU and upload the base code. Yes you do. From there, another dialogue box will open up

image source: www.ktuner.com
    If you just want to upload one tune, skip everything else and click on the "Flash Now" box. If you download the TunerView app and wish to flash to different tunes down the line without hooking up your computer, Fill out a brief description in box 1, choose a slot (1-5), then click flash now. Repeat steps 4-6 with different slots for different tunes.
  7. If you're like me and just wanted to test out a tune (or just up and go with the dual calibration tune and have 2 on-the-fly tunes at your disposal via the eco button), you're almost done!. After you flash the tune and it finishes the flash (like.. 5 minutes at most?), it'll tell you to key off the car, wait a few seconds, key it on and wait a few more seconds after that.
  8. At this point, you can unplug everything. Optionally, you can leave the KTuner unit plugged into your OBD port for datalogging/telemetry purposes and just unplug the USB cables.
    1. If you wish to leave the unit plugged in for telemetry/datalogging, connect the KTuner to your phone at this time (with your car on, with or without the engine running). On one side of the KTuner unit, you'll see the serial number. Jot down the last 5 digits and save it for later.
    2. Open the app on your phone/tablet, and assuming you bought the KTuner license for the TunerView App, swipe from the left edge to open the menu and hit "connect". Check the "autoconnect" box if you wish, find KTunerFlash V1 in the list, and select it. It'll prompt you for the pin to connect. Type in the last 5 digits from your serial number.
    3. Tinker around with the layouts, if you'd like, to show the gauges you'd like to use. Or omit this step and just run with it. I'm not your mother, do what you want. lol.
  9. Take her out and give it a go! Don't forget to smile, but I don't think you'll have any issues doing that with the difference in feel of the car. Enjoy increased boost/power, smoother boost curves, and improved throttle response.
Bonus: dynos from KTuner's Website
Non-Si MT Stage 1 dyno (@18psi)

Stock (assuming Vit tuned): ~185whp @5600RPM, 190tq @2900RPM | Stage 1 (@18psi): ~195whp @5500rpm, 235tq @2950RPM. Image source: www.ktuner.com

Non-Si MT Stage 2:

Stage 2 (@21psi): ~210whp @5400RPM, 260tq @3200RPM. Source: www.ktuner.com

Approximate gains for the CVT running stage 2 (21psi) are as follows: +30whp, +40-50ft-lbs tq. I forgot where I saw the baseline dyno results from a sport hatch CVT, but the whp/wheel torque was pretty damn close to Honda's rated power, so I'm just gonna go with that. That said, from a base 180hp/177tq, approximate power you'll get out of this engine with 21psi is 210hp and 220ft-lbs. What's that mean? for $450, you can have more power in a non-Si than a stock Si (stock rated power is 205hp), and you'll actually get the boost Honda rated it for as opposed to cutting boost when the engine hits the torque target.

Link to the unit (v1.2) I bought (free overnight shipping from Two Step Performance) - Includes TSP's Stage 1 custom tune for the Civic Si ($100 value) FOR FREE (237whp/281ft-lbs)
Link to the v2.0 unit that includes all the same goodies as the v1.2 from TSP
For more information, here's KTuner's help site
Link to video tutorials from KTuner

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.