I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment - Audio) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Android Auto -Voice Text Reply Not Working

Old 09-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farrsolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Android Auto -Voice Text Reply Not Working

I have a 2017 Civic Touring Sedan. When using the Android Auto with my Galaxy S8, I can listen to incoming texts and then it asks me if I want to reply, so I say Yes, then say my reply, then it comes back saying app needs to be upgraded and message is not sent.

I am not sure what that means, I use Android Messages by Google and Messenger (Facebook)

I have Android Auto set properly with permissions to access everything.

Is there a better messaging service I could use or what does it mean when I need to update the app?

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Android Auto -Voice Text Reply Not Working

Check phone compatibility first

Hope this works for Canuckia: http://www.handsfreelink.com/

Related:
Delete and re-pair phone to car
See your salesperson and service department
Find a teenager LOL
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

My phone works fine with handfreelink, I can listen to emails/texts/voicemails and use the preset reply options givens.

But connecting the phone through USB -> Android Auto, it gives the option to voice a reply and it writes it out as a text and sends it. I have used Android Auto with my 2016 Jetta and it works fine. I think the only compatibility required for Android Auto is your device needs to be higher than version 5.0 which the S8 is.

I will try a few more things, like different messaging apps and play with the settings in the car. Otherwise, I will just deal with it and once it goes in for it's first service I will question the service techs about it.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

penright is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
[/B]Related:
Find a teenager LOL
I love it. It could be changed to "Find a teenager or millennials"

Originally Posted by Farrsolo
I have a 2017 Civic Touring Sedan. When using the Android Auto with my Galaxy S8
Are you still having issues? I have a 2016 Civic Touring and S8.
Mine works, I am no expert, but I can compare notes? When you are having the issues are you connected Bluetooth or USB? I have not had my car long but thinking out loud, I don't see a difference in the texting area. Since I have a fitbit my bluetooth is always on.
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

Hmmm, I posted awhile back that I did manage to get it working, but it didn't show up I guess.

I don't know exactly why this works but anyways here was my setup,

I have a Galaxy S8, it connects to the civic via bluetooth and USB everytime with no issues. All services work except for the voice-to-text reply option when using Android Auto. It would accept my text, repeat it back to me, then once I agreed to send it, it would "say, need to upgrade app, can not send"

So at the time, I only used the Facebook Messenger app to use both facebook messenger and also for my SMS messenging (text messages). So I downloaded a separate app for SMS text messages. It is Messages (by Google) from the Play Store, and voila, I can now send voice-to-text message replies via android auto.

I am still tinkering with the settings, but I don't think the base stereo system(bluetooth) can send voice-to-text, you can only listen to texts and then send one of the pre-typed messages by pressing one off the screen. I also like the android auto for the music playing options. Really good sound in the touring model.

Thanks for the replies, hope this post makes it and helps anyone else out.

EDIT: Forgot to add, that I had to change some settings within the app itself, both message app and android auto app.
Old 09-13-2017
Registered!!

penright is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Farrsolo
I only used the Facebook Messenger app to use both facebook messenger and also for my SMS messenging (text messages).
That is one thing different. I used google SMS right off the bat.
Either it is a facebook thing, or maybe when you installed facebook it needed a permission. I bet it was one of the two.

Search this Thread