I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Headlights/car audio not wired correctly

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urbannursexx is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlights/car audio not wired correctly

I bought a used 2013 Honda Civic. It has an aftermarket radio in it but whoever had it before me ripped out the amp, or so I am guessing as evidenced by the two cut wires I found in the front. The molding is also loose so I guess he also took out dynamat or the aftermarket front speakers. Anyway the headlights are not bright at all and they too are aftermarket. Could the headlights be linked to a wiring issue from the previous system? How do I check it out? I appreciate any input and if I sound ignorant please be kind, I am a nurse by trade and a woman. I'm trying so if any of you can advise I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Headlights/car audio not wired correctly

Originally Posted by Urbannursexx
I bought a used 2013 Honda Civic. It has an aftermarket radio in it but whoever had it before me ripped out the amp, or so I am guessing as evidenced by the two cut wires I found in the front. The molding is also loose so I guess he also took out dynamat or the aftermarket front speakers. Anyway the headlights are not bright at all and they too are aftermarket. Could the headlights be linked to a wiring issue from the previous system? How do I check it out? I appreciate any input and if I sound ignorant please be kind, I am a nurse by trade and a woman. I'm trying so if any of you can advise I'd appreciate it.
Very unlikely they are related. They may have put in the wrong type of headlight bulbs wanting to look cool.
I would pick up a set of something like this. (9006 series)

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Silv.../dp/B000M5Y720

Should make a big difference. Easy to install (assuming you can reach the connectors) just twist the connector out of the headlight housing, unclip the connector, connect to the new bulb and twist back in.
Make sure you don't touch the bulb with your fingers. The oils will shorten the life of the bulb considerable.
Old 10-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and if I sound ignorant please be kind, I am a nurse by trade and a woman.
Don't play the woman card.
Mechanical aptitude does not occur naturally in most men either.

A quote:
Originally Posted by Poopies
I get the broke thing, but what does being female have to do with anything? We'd help you out if you were a lawn gnome as long as you asked us nicely!
BTW much respect for the nursing profession.
My mother was an RN, spent most of her time in ICU, retired a few years ago.
My little sister is a pharmacist in a hospital.

I'm trying so if any of you can advise I'd appreciate it.
Making sure you know the daytime running lights are supposed to be half-brightness of the regular headlights....some people automatically assume that because the gauges are already lit up the headlights must be on, so they try to drive around on those DRLs instead of turning on the real headlights at night.

Anyway....
If both low beams work and both high beams work when you twist the switch and flip the lever back and forth, then check the color of the lights.... those blue lights and other weird annoying colors that all the cool kids install are very poor for road use at night.. They may look bright when you stare at them but the light spectrum (blue filtered) ends up being very poor for your own vision. If the bulbs have the blue tint you may be able to see it without removing them from the housing.

As Tigger said, this might be as simple as installing a set of correct replacement headlight bulbs, although I might try regular standard replacements first.
Old 10-07-2016
Registered!!

Thanks so much TiggerDX :-)
Old 10-07-2016
Registered!!

lol Thanks for your reply. I did not try to play the woman card, but I also did not want to get shamed on the forum. I'm used to music forums where the peeps are not always so nice.

Thanks for you reply ezone! I am also an ICU nurse so this stuff is foreign to me. The lights are horrible and I can only see at night if I keep them on high. He also put these dark headlight covers on as well. I will check out amazon and start with lights.

Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

He also put these dark headlight covers on as well.
Dang, that's like wearing sunglasses at night.

Get rid of those first and recheck brightness........

Old 10-07-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

. He also put these dark headlight covers on as well. !
I would remove those covers first. I wouldn't drive the car a single time in the day or the night with them installed. If they are on the rear of the car I would remove them from there as well. Anybody that does anything intentionally to decrease the amount of forward lighting or decrease the amount of visible light from the taillights is an idiot.

Not only are the blatantly a bad idea, they are also illegal in every state in the US and in canada as well. Don't know euro laws but I suspect they aren't allowed there either. Anyone that tells you those covers are legal and pass inspection needs to look up the federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). linkyhttps://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-108.xml

You might hear people say that they are legal in this state or that state. They are wrong. There are "federal" regulations that apply to all states. Lights whether on the front or rear are there for safety. You can never have too much safety in a car.