Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Brake Pads

Old 09-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Pads

Hello,

If it is the same price which pads would you pick between Honda OEM and Akebono ceramic pads.

Thank you,
Old 09-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Pads

Do you need brakes already? The car is only 4 months old. You can't possibly need brakes yet.

FWIW I work for a dealership. Honda brakes are always best for us.
Old 09-06-2018
Registered!!

No, not on this one yet but for future reference. I will do front pads on Accord 2012 and Odyssey 2010 this weekend. Got OEM for Accord and Akebono for Odyssey. Been using only OEM pads in the past, this will be the first time on after market pads.
Old 09-07-2018
Registered!!

ezone,

Do you lube the clips where pad ears slide in and out? Some said lube it and some said don't.

Thank you,
Old 09-07-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I lube the ears of the pad with moly grease, along with a light smear of the same between pad and shim and between layers of shims.
I don't like to put moly on the pad or shim that goes against the piston because it could attack the rubber boot.
NOTE: Moly grease eventually dries out.

If the pads were stuck in the bracket due to rust scale buildup I will remove the clips from the bracket and grind all the rust out, and clean up the clips as best I can. Apply dielectric silicone grease to the freshly exposed cast iron, reassemble the clips and make sure the pads are free to move now.
I also prefer dielectric silicone grease on the slide pins due to the rubber boots.

Pic of rusted caliper bracket before removing the rust

Old 09-07-2018
Registered!!

Thank you. Akebono pads came in two days ago and this is my first Akebono pads. Akebono came with Moly grease. I can tell you that the finished of OEM pad is much better and both were assemble in the USA. Been using CRC synthetic grease for metal to metal and 3M silicone paste slide pins and rubbers.

What so you think about CRC Synthetic grease to lube the ears and clips or should I use Moly grease that came with the pads?

Thank you,
Old 09-07-2018

What so you think about CRC Synthetic grease
I don't know anything about it.
Will it get runny at high temperatures and end up in places you don't want it to be? Moly won't.

Hondas pad sets come with the little packets of moly grease.
Akebono is a supplier to Honda.
Old 09-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I don't know anything about it.
Will it get runny at high temperatures and end up in places you don't want it to be? Moly won't.

Hondas pad sets come with the little packets of moly grease.
Akebono is a supplier to Honda.
Thank you. Yes, Honda pad came with black grease and I never use it because I didn't know it is a good grease but I will use it this time. Wow, I didn't know that Akebono is a supplier for Honda, so it must be the same material? I believe Honda pad is not ceramic but the one that I got for Odyssey is ceramic.
Old 09-07-2018

Yes, Honda pad came with black grease and I never use it because I didn't know it is a good grease
It's included for a reason! They wouldn't include it if it wasn't good.
It's MoS2, Molykote, Depending on how runny it is I think they give us M40, M60 or M77

so it must be the same material?
No. Akebono makes and sells all sorts of stuff. Honda specifies whatever they desire and that's what we get.
Old 09-07-2018
Registered!!

Thank you, ezone.