Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Is it ok to use wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farrsolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it ok to use wheel spacers?

Hi, I am new to the Civic world. Just leased a 2017 Civic Touring Sedan. Car is very nice, I enjoy my commute to work. However that time is approaching when the winters need to go on. I opted for full buyback of my Jetta TDI this summer and am left with a brand new set of winter tires which I paid around $900. Trying to sell them but probably won't get much for them as the market is flooded with all the VW cars being returned.

Anyways, they are a 5x112mm bolt pattern, which doesn't match the civic's 5x114.3mm. I checked out ebay and found these

I have never used wheel spacers, but spending $200 on them to be able to use my tires seems more sensible than selling them for $400 and then purchasing a new set for another $800-$1000.

Any drawbacks other then the tires sticking out an 1" wider than normal? How is handling affected? I don't think there would be any clearance issues, but maybe?

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it ok to use wheel spacers?

Short answer is 'don't'.
Long answer is "it's complicated and there are risks, but maybe".
You didn't give enough info to go much further.
Old 09-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Also, post offset of the wheels, it will affect the final position of the tire
Old 09-06-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: Would spacers effect the lease agreement if found out by Honda (i.e. servicing)?
Old 09-06-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Another concern is the type of lug nut required for the VW wheels. Don't VW'a use a stud type lug nut? Not sure what the taper is but you need to make sure you can find lug nuts that will fit appropriately (ball or cone type lug nut?)

It's always best to buy new wheels. I would use small wheel spacers on my personal vehicle. Handling will be affected could be for the negative if it moves the wheels out a substantial amount. It throws the the suspension geometry out of wack.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farrsolo is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought more about it today, instead of spending money on these spacers which I really don't need, I can buy a set of 4 steel rims on sale somewhere and swap over just the rubbers from my existing set winters.

thanks for the replies!
Old 09-08-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Don't use spacers, use hub adapters.

I run massive 2" adapters all year. (You won't be able to fit 2" stock)

But the difference is that a spacer is just that, a metal insert spacing the rim further away from the vehicle, which in turn shortens the lug length, which can be dangerous.

A hub adapter has it's own lugs, which torque to the OEM lugs; in this way both sets of lugs are of proper length and can handle proper torque and g force.