Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Non-Standard Tire Size

Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bw00f is an unknown quantity at this point
Non-Standard Tire Size

I've a set of Michelin X-Ice winter tires from another car I've sold. They are P215/45/R17. My '17 Civic Coupe uses P215/50/R17 tires. So the aspect ratio of the sidewall is different. As these tires are only 3 years old with 12,000 kM on them, I would like to use them as I leased the Civic for 3 years and don't really want to buy new winter tires.

And I know I'll have about a 3% difference in the speed and odometer readings. But for Winter driving, I'm okay with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments about the slight difference in the tires? I believe that this should be a concern. But just checking.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-Standard Tire Size

The middle number difference is gonna make it a shorter tire, you'll loose about 1/2 inch (13mm) of ground clearance
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Thanks... I'm not worried about clearance. My last car was a Scion FRS... and that had about 103mm clearance (:
Old 07-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like any potential issue is a non issue for you. Ride on, my friend
Old 07-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

going larger will potentially cause clearance issues, but going smaller, as ezone mentioned, you lose some ride height (and slightly torque increase)

that's all. If you went smaller in rim size, that could cause clearance issues with suspension/brakes, but not your case
Old 07-12-2017
Registered!!

Thanks all... always good to have 2nd (and 3rd) opinions!
BruceF

Search this Thread