Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Replacement rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jsot35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Replacement rotors

I just purchased a used 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe. The front brakes are making noise and shudder. I am thinking about replacing the rotors with drilled and slotted ones. Does anyone have experiences to share? Will the brake pads have the same longevity compared to standard rotors?
Old 10-16-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Replacement rotors

From what I've read there is no advantage of slotted over solid rotors for daily driving use. Honda OEM should be the best option?
Old 10-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I have drilled and slotted with ceramic pads on my 05, i find they're better than the stock stuff, not a crazy huge difference but definitely noticeable. More bite, shorter stopping distance, they can be a little noisy sometimes though
Old 10-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

For regular driving you can’t beat OEM pads. I do OEM pads with a premium rotor from a local auto parts store. Quiet, OEM feel and longevity. If you do more spirited driving and want some performance consider a EBC of Hawk pad and rotor upgrade. I went with EBC slotted rotors and green stuff pads for my Fit and they have been great. Only time will tell how they hold up.

Last edited by GolNat; 10-16-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Im seriously thinking of trying these Police Brakes by Raybestos on my Next brake job. not so much for stopping power but more for
Long durability.

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...CE_PROGRAM.PDF

http://www.rokbrothers.com/police_fleets.php

http://www.rokbrothers.com/uploads/R...p7_2-13-09.pdf

Last edited by brags; 10-20-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: links not showing
Old 10-20-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Police brakes.. ? something i never new police had on there fleet. i would give them a try if they are better sure whats the rest of our members thinking?
Old 10-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

my general rule for brakes is never go cheap on rotors, if you want to cheap out somewhere do it on the pads,

cheap rotors warp easily, and after they do, it is annoying during braking,

a good expensive set of rotors should last you 3-4 sets of pads easily
Old 10-27-2018

Good point Mikey1, That"s true a good set of Quality Rotors is needed but many guys will cheap out on using a set. or cheap out on Brake Pads wich also is vital to a brake Job on my vehicles i Just use a good set of rotors not the highest priced ones i find but a good Quality set. and good Quality Ceramic Pads and that Combination usually does the trick im not sure why some will use there old rotors over & over and replace Just brake pads though.?
Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a pair of brembos should go through 2 -3 pairs of pads before changing rotors out?
Old 10-28-2018

[QUOTE=rogerscivic;4753396]I think a pair of brembos should go through 2 -3 pairs of pads before changing rotors out?/QUOTE]

Really.? im not so sure its possible they could go the distance with-out being out of spec? .... after the 2nd pair? but Lets say they did, try getting them off after there corroded & seized on the hub like i came across on a mazda 3 had to Pound the rotors out so hard using a mallet that the rotor lliterally broke in 2 parts from pounding it out so hard.! because they were so seized on the hub luckily i got them off because it broke into 2 pieces and this is on either side! Left & right sides. as if one wasnt bad enough. luckilly i got them off it was a challenge though. i cleaned up the hub mating surface well and lots of grease on the hub surface and rotor for future re-placement.

Last edited by brags; 10-28-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2019
Registered!!

gdcwatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Noise & shuddering? If the rotors look ok (no grooves, flaking rusted edges), and it looks like the pads are making good contact and there's enough material, try re-bedding the pads.

I also like semi-metallic Hawk HPS pads, putting 3 sets into a nose-heavy Acura TSX, and another set into a Ford Focus. The initial bite is reassuring, and I often travel with 800 - 1,000 lbs of people and their stuff, and too often I've had to nail the brakes... The average life of the front brakes of my Acura was about 57,000 miles, but I always replaced them because I didn't like the look of the rotors, or the rotor/pad contact pattern. Despite how much you drive, waiting more than 3 snowy winters to take everything apart means the rotors can be difficult to take off, the bleeder screws can seize, the pins and piston are over-due for synthetic grease, and you might not really know if you've got flat surface to full flat surface rotor-to-pad contact. And the brake fluid likely due for a change, too.
Old 02-12-2019
Registered!!

gdcwatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Re-bedding the brake pads requires driving the car, and not removing and reinstalling the pads, so it's worth a try, and anyone can do it::

https://www.hawkperformance.com/how-to