Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Winter tires for '17 Hatchback Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter tires for '17 Hatchback Sport

My daughter has a Hatchback Sport with those stock 235/40R-18 tires. They will likely not be the best for our New England winters.

What options are you guys going with for winter tires and maybe wheels? 235's might be too wide for winter driving.

BTW, I just spent a little time cleaning snow out from the inside of wheels. After the recent storm there was a tire balance issue.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 01-07-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter tires for '17 Hatchback Sport

Getting a set of smaller rims for winter driving might not be a terrible idea. 215/55-60's will mess with the speedometer the least (-0.4% difference -- speedo will indicate 60mph with a 59.8mph actual speed). Some "steelies" in 16x7 probably work just fine

When I lived in upstate NY (Nov 04-may 05), I did rather well with 215/45-17's on my 2002. Owned snow cables, but never used them until I lived in WA state.

Luckily, down here in Vegas, I don't have to worry about snow and my '18 Hatchback Sport
Old 01-08-2018
Registered!!

trf1driver is an unknown quantity at this point

Go narrower on the width, higher profile (aspect ratio), and smaller diameter rims. Overall diameter of tires should be close to your current size which won't mess up the speedometer. Winter driving, you want to have more flex on the tire sidewall, softer compound, aggressive tread pattern for max traction and less contact surface by reducing the width.

Check out this link from tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Select...oModClar=Sport
Old 01-08-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trf1driver
Overall diameter of tires should be close to your current size which won't mess up the speedometer.
Yep exactly. I listed a specific tire size (215/55-16) for that very reason. There are a lot of tire calculators out there (most notably the miata.net tire calculator, as well as one on our site that performs similarly) that'll give you overall diameter measurements when you plug in the two tire sizes. That's how I got the .4% difference in speedometer reading (as well as another site that actually listed indicated vs. actual speed with regards to changing tire sizes)
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

cavell is an unknown quantity at this point

oof. just noticed last post was 01/18. OP did not return with an update. i just got a set of 16" oem rims/snow tires but they dont have tpms sensors. not a big deal. winter stuff.
Old 10-29-2018
Administrator
Administrator

TPMS in the 10thgen civic is an indirect system -- no actual TPMS sensors in the wheels. It uses the VSS to measure variances in wheel rotation. That said, with your winter tires, just follow the TPMS calibration procedure and you should be good to go.
Old 11-02-2018
Registered!!

looks like my 2015 is not 10th gen. but i have driven the car with new rims and no tpms light
Old 01-31-2021
Registered!!

Lymer is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased a 2019 Honda Civic LX and have several questions.

The first question and in line with this thread topic is winter tires. Currently my stock tire requirement for this vehicle is 215/55 16R. I have heard it said that a less wide, with a compensating height is a better winter tire to move thru the snow with. I was thinking about 205/60 16R. I used the miata.net tire size comparison calculator and it seems the overall numbers are comparable with a 1.5% difference. The overall diameter appears to be 0.400" greater. I was thinking this might help with a bit of lift to keep my front spoiler from plowing the higher snow that comes around on occasion.

Secondly, I was thinking of General Tires Altimax Artic 12. Any experiences with winter tires, both size and Manufacturer, around my stock size and 2019 Civic LX would be helpful.

P.S. I live outside Toronto, Ontario and do a lot of highway driving

Thanks in Advance for the time
Old 01-31-2021
Registered!!

IMHO, new size is ok. Do you have a 2nd set of rims? Yearly change over bites. Any new snowtire is good. Except firestone winter force. Ugh.
Old 02-01-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cavell
IMHO, new size is ok. Do you have a 2nd set of rims? Yearly change over bites. Any new snowtire is good. Except firestone winter force. Ugh.
I am in market now for some steel rims second hand is good enough for my snow tire I figure. Did the same thing with my Honda Fit
Old 02-02-2021
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

I am currently using Cooper Evolution Winter tires. They are decent. They stop much shorter than my all seasons did last year. I enjoy some "controlled" spirited driving on the snowy/icy roads here in Northern WI. It's kinda fun. However, they aren't perfect. I still slide a bit while trying to accelerate. I'm glad I bought them though.

I also purchased new steel rims from the Roadready store on Ebay. They were the cheapest I could find. They arrived quickly and well packaged. Not the best by any means, but it was a good combination for the price. A little over $600 for everything, including mount and balance.
Old 10-20-2022
Registered!!

Zakb is an unknown quantity at this point

what did you end up doing? I'm in the same position trying to figure out what to do. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zakb
what did you end up doing? I'm in the same position trying to figure out what to do. Thanks.
First off I decided that winter tries were something I wanted. I original set out to find some used Steel rims on Kijiji. What I found was an acceptable deal on a complete set of winter tires and steel rims. They came off a late model Honda Civic and were a perfect fit for my 2019 Honda Civic.

IMO, if you decide to go this used route and you find rims that carry tires as well, be sure to check the age of the tires you are getting. This is an alpha-numeric code on every tire and if you don't know how to read these codes then the info is an easy find online. My tires were older than I liked, but it was obvious they had been stored properly and suffered no abnormal premature drying out. Treads were still 70 to 75% of what they should be new, and the complete package price was cheaper then 4 new steel rims alone.

If Specs are what you are looking for from me then they are as follows.

Tires are Michelin X-Ice 205/65R 15 inch
So yes, I did decide to go down an inch in diameter from Honda's Standard recommended all season tire. (215/55R 16 inch)

Pic of Rim Specs

Some other Specs on the Steel Rim include.
Bolt Pattern 5 x 114.3mm
Center Bore 64.1mm or 2.523 inch
Offset 44mm

Just My Opinion:
I have only used these for one winter, but for me I believe they are worth the extra cost of ownership. Since I believe the Michelin X-Ice are a good tire, I will re-evaluate them after this Winter season. If I decide they are good enough for another season, then great. However, if I decide they are not I will most likely purchase a new set of General Tire Altimax Arctic. I bought these Winter Tires new for my Honda Fit years ago and feel they have been a great Winter tire for the mid-level pricing I paid at the time. Also, the Made in Germany moniker does not hurt either, IMO.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Lymer; 10-21-2022 at 06:47 AM.