Interior Post your questions about interior parts here! Seats, consoles, etc

Water Originating Under Passenger Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sybi is an unknown quantity at this point
Water Originating Under Passenger Seat

This is my first time posting here. I've read a lot of posts about similar issues but I'm curious if anyone has specifics to my make/model. I have a 2016 Civic EX with sensing.
Water is accumulating under my passenger side and seems to be originating from directly under the seat.
Last week I noticed a water sloshing sound when braking. I thought I had a water bottle somewhere in the car, found one and took it out. A few days later I started to smell rotten eggs when the AC was on fresh air, not circulating. Saturday a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. That night it rained. Sunday I noticed a ton of water and mold in the passenger side when I cleaned the car.
I tested the windshield crack with a hose: no water entry there. I checked the sunroof drains: all is well there, it seems. I checked the door seals and they seem fine too.
I suspected AC drain clog. I took it to the mechanic who said "no AC drain issues". He checked the front passenger side and said "it's draining under the car". He said "it's probably from the windshield". I'm getting that fixed tomorrow.
Today I checked the floor and it was mostly dry. I decided to run the AC a while. After ten minutes, beneath the seat and in the back passenger side are soaked again.
My question is, is there something this guy could have missed yesterday that would cause the water to build up like that under the seat and in the back to start?
Water is draining beneath the car but it seems to be flowing backward too and is dripping out of some holes in the fuzzy thing that covers the underside of the car (don't know what this is called)
Old 11-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Water Originating Under Passenger Seat

Warranty!?!? Dealership
Old 11-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Warranty!?!? Dealership
It's no longer under warranty. I'm at 62,000 miles so only the powertrain is covered now. I do have an appointment with the Honda service department on Friday.
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

rejoyce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sybi
Today I checked the floor and it was mostly dry. I decided to run the AC a while. After ten minutes, beneath the seat and in the back passenger side are soaked again.
My question is, is there something this guy could have missed yesterday that would cause the water to build up like that under the seat and in the back to start?
Water is draining beneath the car but it seems to be flowing backward too and is dripping out of some holes in the fuzzy thing that covers the underside of the car (don't know what this is called)
Hey, do you have any updates on this issue? we are having the same problems with our 2010 Civic LX. We knew there was some moisture under the driver seat and our mechanic could not diagnose the cause... yesterday we found fuzzy white mold/mildew covering all the carpet under the passenger seat. It was awful and took my husband 4 hours to clean it all (on Thanksgiving!). We'll bring it to a new mechanic but any pointers would be great! Thanks.
Old 11-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rejoyce
Hey, do you have any updates on this issue? we are having the same problems with our 2010 Civic LX. We knew there was some moisture under the driver seat and our mechanic could not diagnose the cause... yesterday we found fuzzy white mold/mildew covering all the carpet under the passenger seat. It was awful and took my husband 4 hours to clean it all (on Thanksgiving!). We'll bring it to a new mechanic but any pointers would be great! Thanks.
I'm sorry you are having the same issue. I ended up taking mine to my local Honda place. It was actually the air conditioner drain. After my car was in an accident a few months ago, the people who repaired it had not hooked one part of the drain up correctly. From what I understand, there is one drain connection up toward the footwell of the passenger side and another one further back under the passenger seat. The second one in mine was not attached correctly.
I hope this helps you.
Old 11-26-2018
Registered!!

rejoyce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sybi
I'm sorry you are having the same issue. I ended up taking mine to my local Honda place. It was actually the air conditioner drain. After my car was in an accident a few months ago, the people who repaired it had not hooked one part of the drain up correctly. From what I understand, there is one drain connection up toward the footwell of the passenger side and another one further back under the passenger seat. The second one in mine was not attached correctly.
I hope this helps you.
Thank you for the update! that actually makes sense. We didn't think about the AC drain! My husband is also having issues with the A/C not working properly so I wonder if it's all connected.