Electronics Post your questions about Electronics problems here!

2017 Civic EX Key Fob Function Issues

Old 07-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
2017 Civic EX Key Fob Function Issues

Hello all!

Man, it's been (literally) years! (last visit 12-08-2015!).

I'm back though, and glad to see ezone is still around :P.

Anyways, I was wondering what the limits are of the key FOB and how other people's battery life is on them?

I LOVE the features of the keyfob, like the auto-start and the sequence to roll all the windows down & open the moon roof. For any that don't know, you press the unlock button twice, and then press and hold it for a third time...the windows and moonroof will start opening and keep going until they are all the way open, or until you release the button.

Problem I have, it is INCREDIBLY sporadic if these functions work or not. The windows are the main concern. I have to be very, VERY close for this function to work properly. I'm not sure if this is intended, or if there is an issue, or if my FOB battery is simply low (But it's only been 1.5 years?). If I'm more than 20 ft away (measured it) the windows will start rolling down but then stop about 1/4 of the way. More than 50 ft away and they barely open more than a crack. I have to be within 10-15 ft for the windows to roll all the way down.

Any ideas? Anyone else have key FOB battery life reports for me to compare?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2017 Civic EX Key Fob Function Issues

Hey man, welcome back!!

The range of an OE remote is pretty bad. That doesn’t seem very long for a battery but seeing how much fancier the newer remotes are and if you using it frequently it might die that fast.

I could see an intention on Honda’s part to make you have to be close to
the car for it to work for safety maybe.

They make range extenders or you could do this lol

Old 07-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794
and glad to see ezone is still around :P.
Waaaaasssssup?

Anyways, I was wondering what the limits are of the key FOB and how other people's battery life is on them?

I LOVE the features of the keyfob, like the auto-start and the sequence to roll all the windows down & open the moon roof. For any that don't know, you press the unlock button twice, and then press and hold it for a third time...the windows and moonroof will start opening and keep going until they are all the way open, or until you release the button.

Problem I have, it is INCREDIBLY sporadic if these functions work or not. The windows are the main concern. I have to be very, VERY close for this function to work properly. I'm not sure if this is intended, or if there is an issue, or if my FOB battery is simply low (But it's only been 1.5 years?). If I'm more than 20 ft away (measured it) the windows will start rolling down but then stop about 1/4 of the way. More than 50 ft away and they barely open more than a crack. I have to be within 10-15 ft for the windows to roll all the way down.

Any ideas? Anyone else have key FOB battery life reports for me to compare?

Thanks!
If you're close enough it responds to the keyfob unlock command, it's close enough to roll down the windows with the fob. If you're out of range, you're out of range. If the battery is weak and it stops transmitting under a load (holding the button down) then just replace the battery and it should return to normal.

When the fob battery gets low enough to be critical, the dash should display a message stating the fob battery is low. (each fob is independent, but if both are used often you might want to replace batteries in both at the same time when the message appears.....Check your owners manual on this, IIRC all of the smart key cars can show the message)

Battery life is much shorter with the keyless access (smart keyfob) because it is now a 2 way communication device instead of a one way device. It has to transmit its signal if it is within range of the car before the car will do what it's supposed to do. You cannot start the car unless you have the fob inside or on your person, and the car has to verify that fob is present before it can work. Same for remote starting.
If you watch the red LED on the fob, not only does it light up when you push a button, it will also blink every time it responds to a ping from the car; every time you use the proximity sense to unlock the doors by touch, and starting the car.

HTH
Old 07-27-2018
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Good information. Any tricks to getting to the battery in the fob? I broke the plastic on my 2006's key replacing it's battery so I'm a little hesitant to try on this one.

I'll be at the dealer later today, I'll ask how much they'll charge but I'm pretty sure I won't like the answer lol.

Last edited by jordan1794; 07-27-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 07-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pull out the key. Use the key to split the shell open.
It's a watch battery. Once you know what type it is, go almost anywhere to buy one?
Old 07-27-2018
Registered!!

Dealership was selling them for $3, could get a 5 pack on Amazon for $5 but didn't feel like waiting.

The gentleman at the parts counter said they are seeing around 2 years on the battery for most people, and I'm at 1.5 years so I'm guessing the battery was indeed getting low (will test when I get my car back from 'em)
​​​​​
Old 01-29-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, hey Jordan, new car?
Old 01-30-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome back 😁.

lol, ya that video is funny, I was going to post the same one.

you can also try opening the fob, finding the antenna and soldering a loop of small, insulated wire to it.