Electronics Post your questions about Electronics problems here!

2017 Civic Hatchback Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tantrim is an unknown quantity at this point
2017 Civic Hatchback Error Codes

I'm buying a 2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L with Navigation and Sensing tomorrow. I had him take it to a dealership and these are the error codes that are present on the car. It seems like alot but I don't know what they mean. Is this alarming? Btw the car only has 500 miles. I highly doubt anything is wrong but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Old 01-12-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2017 Civic Hatchback Error Codes

Jesus, that's quite the list for a car that only has 500 miles on it. My 2018 has 2000-2500 miles on it with zero DTCs

Here's my take based on the codes provided, descriptions, listed by systems affected:
PGM-FI: Gas pedal sensor issue
CVT: Transmission lost communication/not communicating with ECM/PCM (engine/propulsion control module)
SRS: airbag system seems FUBAR.
EPS: electronic power steering system not playing nice, causing vehicle stability assist system to not play nice
one push start: cvt lost communication with EMC/PCM, thus making pushbutton start not communicate
Gauge: same as pushbutton start issue
driver support: same as pushbutton start, just affecting VSA braking
Body electrical: same.

All in all, sounds like something is causing lack of communication with the ECM/PCM. I'd make sure all of those issues are fixed before buying. Are you buying from a dealership or private seller?
Old 01-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Are you buying it from a Honda dealership?
Are you buying the car from a private party?
(I can't think of many good reasons an individual would DUMP a car with only 500 miles)

Someone or something happened to the car to set all those codes (I have about two guesses right now).......can you get the service history of the car from the dealership?

Step 3: Erase ALL of those codes from every system on the car.
Rescan for codes to see if any faults are currently active.
Test drive and rescan to see if any new codes set during the drive.

Last edited by ezone; 01-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Jesus, that's quite the list for a car that only has 500 miles on it. My 2018 has 2000-2500 miles on it with zero DTCs

Here's my take based on the codes provided, descriptions, listed by systems affected:
PGM-FI: Gas pedal sensor issue
CVT: Transmission lost communication/not communicating with ECM/PCM (engine/propulsion control module)
SRS: airbag system seems FUBAR.
EPS: electronic power steering system not playing nice, causing vehicle stability assist system to not play nice
one push start: cvt lost communication with EMC/PCM, thus making pushbutton start not communicate
Gauge: same as pushbutton start issue
driver support: same as pushbutton start, just affecting VSA braking
Body electrical: same.

All in all, sounds like something is causing lack of communication with the ECM/PCM. I'd make sure all of those issues are fixed before buying. Are you buying from a dealership or private seller?
It's a private seller
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Are you buying it from a Honda dealership?
Are you buying the car from a private party?
(I can't think of many good reasons an individual would DUMP a car with only 500 miles)

Someone or something happened to the car to set all those codes (I have about two guesses right now).......can you get the service history of the car from the dealership?
(Send me the vin in a PM)

Step 3: Erase ALL of those codes from every system on the car.
Rescan for codes to see if any faults are currently active.
Test drive and rescan to see if any new codes set during the drive.
I sent you a PM with a vin lookup report purchased from a company linked with Texas titles. The vin comes back completely clean except 1 thing. It appears to be sold by an insurance company but has a completely clean title. Also, It's registered near the Houston area and was sold (I think?) by an insurance company a month after hurricane Harvey. Looks suspect... I'm going to call the dealership that had it in Texas and see what they can tell me about it.
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

I just got off the phone with the original dealership. 90% of the dealerships inventory was salvaged due to hurricane Harvey. This car happened to be one of those cars salvaged in the flood. How does a car that was sold to an insurance company come out the other side with a clean title? The carfax is completely clean on this car. The only thing that gave me a hint was that it was sold at an auction.
Old 01-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

run the hell away from that car
Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

I live in Dallas and the car is now in Florida. I had a plane ticket tomorrow morning to go out there. I even went to the bank and got a cashiers check. I'm glad I didn't trust the VIN report. Let this be a lesson to us all lol.
Old 01-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I would not buy it...unless it's almost free.
Old 01-12-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
run the hell away from that car
That was my initial reaction. 500 miles and throwing a crap ton of electrical/CVT system related DTCs? Something definitely happened to it.
Old 01-13-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Carfox is useless.

That report saved you from a big mess.