General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Break in period for new 2.0 LX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RichardA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Break in period for new 2.0 LX?

Hello:

I did a thread search to no avail. Also looked through the user manual to no avail.

What are the recommendations or more like what not to do with a brand new off the lot car.

Typically for the first xxx miles you should not exceed certain MPH, not go WOT, and vary between city and highway driving. I'm taking it easy on her for the first 5K anyhow, but feedback is appreciated.

PS, I practically shot diet coke out of my nose when I saw 29 THREADS in the mechanical problems section. I used to own 2 Porsche 928's and am a member there still. Their thread count for same tech issues is 2,396 PAGES. Mind you that covers all 928's back to 1977.
Old 11-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Break in period for new 2.0 LX?

No real break in period. Drive it like you would any other car.

Change oil when the maintenance minder turns on the 15% reminder and the wrench light comes on. (or one year, whichever comes first)
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
No real break in period. Drive it like you would any other car.

Change oil when the maintenance minder turns on the 15% reminder and the wrench light comes on. (or one year, whichever comes first)
Very quick reply Sir ezone, thanks.

With a little over 1000 miles in the first week and half, me thinks the oil will need a changin' before a year. I noticed the oil % dropped to 90% after several hundred miles. It the oil minder a mileage based simple system, or is it viscosity/condition of oil based?
Old 11-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a simple mileage counter, it varies widely based on driving condition.

But NOTHING is directly monitored by the maintenance minder system. It's all based on a model, and that model depends on correct spec products.
It cannot know if the engine oil is empty, it can't tell if it got the oil changed until someone resets it, it can't adjust intervals for the cheapest (wrong) oil from the corner quickymart. Same goes for air filters, it will suggest filters (#2 around 25k, but it can't' tell if you drive in a dust storm on the daily. Obviously the filters would be clogged quick if you did that.

I see the minder allow oil change intervals anywhere from 4000 miles (soccer moom driving) to beyond 10k miles (all highway), it all depends on the driver and driving conditions.
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

OK, I see. It monitors the conditions the oil is exposed to, assuming it's the proper weight, proper oil and oil level is full. It evaluates types of driving conditions more or less and goes from there. Was not sure how 'smart' it was. That system will work for me.

Thanks again.