Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues & Fix-It If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2016 Civic repair/service manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mig21 is an unknown quantity at this point
2016 Civic repair/service manual

I just got a 2016 Civic LX. All my life I had paper manuals, except for the 2010 Civic which was a big-*** annoying PDF.

Now it seems that paper manuals are no longer an option for any kind of money, and the only place to get repair guides is from http://techinfo.honda.com/

Those guys charge 10$/day which may or may not be ok for a shop but is way too much for a DIYer. It often takes me more than a day to finish a repair, since this is not a full time job for me. In other words - Honda is basically saying I'm not allowed to service my own car!?

I'm sure there are lots of people here who use that website. Can you please tell me - if I sign up for a day, will there be a way for me to save a PDF or something that is the equivalent of the old one-book/one-file service manual?

Thanks in advance.

Annoyed Honda customer.
Old 12-14-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2016 Civic repair/service manual

9ths are the same way..... very, very little information available.
Old 12-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mig21
if I sign up for a day, will there be a way for me to save a PDF or something that is the equivalent of the old one-book/one-file service manual?
Buy a printer and put that sucker to work.

No paper manuals. Electronic Service Information is the way it is now, so drag your knuckles into the new millennium.

I'm old school.
Paper manuals were far too reliable.....
They work under all conditions, such as an internet outage or power outage.
They are portable and cordless., you don't have to wait for them to boot up or download before reading. You can carry it to the car, you can sit on it without fear of breaking it, you can carry it to the bathroom to study....
You can write notes on the pages that stay there for eternity.
You could spill your coffee on it without a whole lot of worry about it not working again.
You can flip back and forth so rapidly by using page markers such as paper clips or even real bookmarks.
You can thumb through the entire book at a glance by flipping pages......on a computer you have to know where the hell you need to go.
Yep, far too reliable.

Try the electronic wiring diagrams. They suck donkey ***** IMO.

The 2010 actually had paper manuals available from Honda.....for a hefty price I'm sure.
Old 12-14-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Got a PDF of the 06-11, or in my case '10 for about $30, and it has ETM included as well.

See nothing anywhere for 12+
Old 12-14-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraigW

See nothing anywhere for 12+
2012 was the last year for a paper wiring diagram book (EWD) for Civic AFAIK.

There is no paper service manual for 12 Civic through Honda though.
Old 12-14-2015

Found nothing paper or digital 2012+ (copyrighted anyhow)

Our copier manuals are becoming HTML links instead of PDF files.
Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

I'm old school.
Paper manuals were far too reliable.....
They work under all conditions, such as an internet outage or power outage.
They are portable and cordless., you don't have to wait for them to boot up or download before reading. You can carry it to the car, you can sit on it without fear of breaking it, you can carry it to the bathroom to study....
You can write notes on the pages that stay there for eternity.
You could spill your coffee on it without a whole lot of worry about it not working again.
You can flip back and forth so rapidly by using page markers such as paper clips or even real bookmarks.
You can thumb through the entire book at a glance by flipping pages......on a computer you have to know where the hell you need to go.
Yep, far too reliable.

Try the electronic wiring diagrams. They suck donkey ***** IMO.
Yeah, that's how I feel exactly. So my question is - will I have the option of printing from techinfo.honda.com? Has anyone tried? What does that website look like once you log in?
Old 12-14-2015

I just poked around the site, the service info area I normally use is laid out somewhat similar to the dealers site, it's got the same info we get at the dealer and looks to be in the same format so yes it's printable....

and you can get just as frustrated as I do LOL

There isn't a lot up for 16 Civic as of yet.

I'll PM you a couple screenshots taken as I kinda randomly clicked stuff.
Old 12-14-2015
Registered!!

There isn't a lot up for 16 Civic as of yet.
Oh, I didn't expect that, I guess I should wait a few months, since I won't need that right away anyway (I hope )

I'll PM you a couple screenshots taken as I kinda randomly clicked stuff.
I'd appreciate that, thanks!
Old 12-14-2015

Sent
Old 03-18-2016
Registered!!

After a lot of convincing the salesman who sold us the car let me look at the service manual online on his computer. He was either an idiot or more likely was lying to me when he said noone has ever asked for that manual before. He kept trying to tell me that the owner's manual is what I want.

I dug through that site, it looks like a lot of documents and not all of them in the same format.

When I need to do something I need the manual for I'll see if those things are saveable en mass, I'll let you know whether they are. Something tells me it's not going to be easy.

Such a rip-off! Did everyone move to this online 10$/day system or just Honda?
Old 03-18-2016

Originally Posted by Mig21
After a lot of convincing the salesman who sold us the car let me look at the service manual online on his computer.
Odd IMO. Salespeople wouldn't normally have access to all of our service info, just like service techs have no need for access to sales department info on the Honda dealer site.

He was either an idiot or more likely was lying to me when he said noone has ever asked for that manual before. He kept trying to tell me that the owner's manual is what I want.
99.99% of new car buyers have no use for service repair info. (estimated %)
I dug through that site, it looks like a lot of documents and not all of them in the same format.
Just think of how easy my job is LOL
When I need to do something I need the manual for I'll see if those things are saveable en mass, I'll let you know whether they are. Something tells me it's not going to be easy.
AFAIK Honda has no plans to release any repair info on paper. They have been heading toward paperless for several years, they aren't going to back up now.

Such a rip-off! Did everyone move to this online 10$/day system or just Honda?
It's not just Honda.
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

AFAIK Honda has no plans to release any repair info on paper. They have been heading toward paperless for several years, they aren't going to back up now.
Yeah I didn't think they would, I am surprised there isn't more pushback on the cost though, that's way too much for a DYI-er unless it's possible to save it all on your computer.

I guess people don't fix their own cars anymore... sad!
Old 05-03-2016

The 2012-2015 manual never did appear in any format that I'm aware of.....so 2016+ will likely be the same.
Old 08-03-2016
Registered!!

fijiblue05 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good to know. I had a book for my 2005. I was hoping to get the same for my 2016 but it looks like when the time comes, I may have to use that website after checking here first of course .

Last edited by fijiblue05; 08-03-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2017
Registered!!

drwet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone

It's not just Honda.

I have a 2014 Chev Silverado and got the full set of Service manuals from GM. Not cheap, but still available. Don't know if they've since stopped making them available. If I had known Honda wasn't going to share their service information I would never have bought my 2016 Civic.
Old 04-24-2017

Honda never shared their factory info to start with. It was likely stolen then disbursed.

Last manual avail was 8th gen.

It's a Honda.... although nice to have a manual, you may never need it for other then reference.
Old 04-25-2017
Registered!!

It's a Honda.... although nice to have a manual, you may never need it for other then reference.
I definitely needed the manual for both the 2009 and 2010 I had/have. You seem to be implying that it's never going to break so I'll never need the manual, or I'm never going to be qualified to fix it myself so I'll not need the manual, neither of which is true.

But perhaps I misunderstood?

I recently ordered a paper manual for a 2011 Ford Flex. I don't know whether newer Ford models still have the manuals, but I most definitely am going to make use of this one as I do my Civic one.

Yep, also not cheap, but seems like peanuts after one unlucky visit to a dealer or mechanic. And nowhere near as expensive as the daily web access charge for the Honda manual. I still haven't tried to access the online one.
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

hondafool is an unknown quantity at this point

aokk
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

hondafool is an unknown quantity at this point

On 15MAY17 I paid my $10.00 to "estore/Honda/dotcom/service-express" and it was very disappointing. They took my money and then nothing happened. I expected a file or a link but there was NOTHING! THEY DISCONNECTED ME FIVE TIMES WHEN I CALLED THEM TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LINK OR FILE THAT I PAID FOR. Remember, the 24 hour clock is ticking! On my receipt they said they sent me something in my email: "A copy of this order was sent to your email". It wasn't. I even signed out and signed in three times just to reset the website. NOTHING! On 15MAY17 at 1208 someone called me and said it was "bramasia" (???) from "Honda service express support center" and they were sorry and they heard I wanted a refund and they heard I "could not sign in" and the guy said he was here to "help me get what I wanted". I corrected him and I said I signed in THREE times and I got no link or no file. He hemmed and hawed and apologized more. I told him that you only get one time with me and I want a refund. I said to him, "LEARN FROM THIS!" He hemmed and he hawed. I asked him if they were going bankrupt and why the lack of service. I told this guy THEY DISCONNECTED ME FIVE TIMES WHEN I CALLED THEM TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LINK OR FILE THAT I PAID FOR. What did he do? Apologize. I bought a new 1993 Honda Civic CX and the next day I paid $80.00 for the "1993 SERVICE MANUAL, first edition". Now Chilton doesn't even sell the service manual for my Honda Civic LX 2015. If Honda does not release the maintenance and repair data and information then you are forced to pay someone to repair your Honda. It's a conspiracy.
Old 02-22-2020
Registered!!

Roadbyker is an unknown quantity at this point

It is for the 2016 Civic hatchback but it is almost the same.

https://cardiagn.com/honda-civic-fc-...owners-manual/