10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

2017 Civic - failed to start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sbelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 2017 Civic - failed to start?

Hi there, I have a new 2017 Civic (only 6,000 km). I am wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the car failing to turn over to start? I experienced this issue this morning when I noticed the remote start didn't work and went out to the car and it took a lot of convincing for it to start. I do live in a cold climate however, it was certainly not cold enough for this to be a factor and I did not leave the car door open or the lights on. There were no dashboard indicators except for the " ! " mark.

Also experiencing the issue with the gas flap freezing but guess that is a known issue.
Old 01-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2017 Civic - failed to start?

Moved to the appropriate section, probably didn't start because of the cold.
The remote start will only try a couple times before it gives up, this is to protect the starter.

As for the gas flap make sure you keep the area free of snow, that will help prevent ice build up, I've never had a problem with my gas flap unless there's been really heavy freezing rain and its encased in ice.
Old 01-05-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. It actually wasn't cold yesterday..we had plus temperatures and lots!! of rain and wind (basically a winter hurricane)
I guess the cap flap is a known issue as they have a list of folks calling in at the dealership..this was due to cold and wet/freeze and wasn't encased in ice. they told us to open the outer flap and take a hair dryer to it until the flap inside opened.
Old 01-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The frozen flap on the capless gas tank filler apparently does happen but I haven't seen it yet at our shop. Not sure I like the idea of sticking a freekin hair dryer near the filler neck either, seems potentially dangerous to me.

Weak or dead battery can happen at any time, even on brand new cars. Cold can be brutal on batteries.

Does the battery fail the dealers test now? It's under warranty (I assume) have the dealer take care of it.

You got rain? That's not very cold LOL
It's been -10*F to +10*F (-23*C to -12*C) for a couple weeks in my area and our shop has sold out of new batteries a couple times
(It's about -18*C here right now)
Old 01-06-2018
Registered!!

It was +10 (c) here..east coast/NS with a winter weather bomb (without the snow) so the temps were well above freeze for a couple of days, has started in the cold without issue since I’ve had it. Will simply keep my eye on it. It’s my 5th Honda so trying not to be too disappointed in my new one, which I love. Yes, the hair dryer suggestion took me by surprise but we just kept it at a distance enough to thaw and now fill up on ‘warmer’ winter days for now. They weren’t surprised when I called..so not a one-off as they have a list.
Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old 01-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your gas line could be frozen or partially frozen.....you can sit and crank your car all you want, its never going to run with a frozen fuel line,

i put a bottle of gas line antifreeze in my car every other tankful in the winter.....its cheap insurance to prevent a freezup, which would be a nightmare if temps stay cold for extended periods of time (which they do here)
Old 01-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My area has 10% ethanol in the fuel just about anywhere I get gas, IMO that's plenty to absorb any stray moisture/condensation