10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Please Help Me with Purchase Decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cathy48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please Help Me with Purchase Decision

Hello

We have been driving Honda for years. We had accord and civic 2 times and then changed to accord and crv. After having the crv for three years, we decided that we do not use the extra space to substantiate the added cost. So, we are downgrading. So, my husband changed his 15 accord with 18 accord. He got the LX base model and it has all the new tech (1,5 turbo, sensing, start button, .... etc). I was intending to get the civic EX (and sometimes though for the EX-T) but at this price range, i am very close to that of the accord lx and it has everything and even roomier. I am looking at the resale value of civic and can see that ex and ex-t hold value best, and i guess because of their tech and so forth compared to lx. So i am wondering if would be good to get myself also an accord compared to the civic ex or ex-t? i have multiple queries that i cannot know the answer for bec the accord is new and kbb does not have yet any resale or depreciation values ... will the new tech help the accord maintain its value better compared to older accords? ? will people buy more accords compared to civic with the tech and very close if not identical gas mileage? or the civic buyer is different from accord buyer? shall we have two accords with different colors or the accord and civic (but why get the civic while all its tech is in the base accord?

Please telll me what to do or my mind will explode ... the dealer need to know tomorrow ... i very much appreciate your insights
Old 12-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please Help Me with Purchase Decision

Go drive around for about 2 hours in each car.
Which one do you like driving more?
Old 12-03-2017
Registered!!

I drove both and I am indifferent ... so i am thinking about depreciation value and tech specs and best bang for my buck ... please advise
Old 12-03-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I see you mentioned the aspect of more room in the Accord. Is that a big selling point for you, and does it justify the extra cost? Using Honda's vehicle comparison tool, the Accord holds its value slightly better than the Civic (56% vs 52% after 36 months and 38% vs 36% after 60 months, respectively), has more power, holds more gas, has more room, and is bigger in general. If you don't need the extra room or power, and the depreciation value isn't enough to be significant, I'd go with whichever is cheaper out the door. You did say you were indifferent about the experience with either.

I am a bit biased towards the Civic (I'm on my 2nd civic -- First was a 2002 ex coupe, and I just got a 2018 sport hatchback, and I've been on this forum for.. 14 years going), but then again I'm a single guy that wants a sporty fun car I can haul my dog in the backseat.

edit: I did some quick maths based on specs found on Honda's website. The math I did has to do with fuel costs using combined fuel economy and whatnot. For the sake of continuity, I assumed 2 gallons remaining in the tank at the time of refueling. I also assumed the price of 91 octane to be $3.05/gallon, since that's what it would be where I'm at. Regardless of actual price of gas, the figures would have similar differences.

The Accord makes a combined fuel economy of 33mpg with a 14.8 gallon tank (filling the tank with 12.8 gallons of fuel). This assumes you get 422 miles per tank. After 5000 miles (11.85 refuels), the total cost of fuel would be $462.62.

Given the same assumptions (2 gallon reserve, 91 octane at $3.05), and the Civic making 35mpg combined with a 12.4 gallon tank (thus filling at 10.4 gallons), you would get 364 miles per tank. After 5000 miles (13.74 refuels), the Civic would run $435.83 in fuel costs.

You can extrapolate this data even further, and the Civic would ultimately save you more money in fuel costs, a little bit at a time.

And yes, Honda states that both cars can run on regular unleaded (87 octane). I just threw 91 in there because that's all I plan on running in my car after performing a fuel economy experiment in my 2018 hatch while using both 87 and 91 octane. 91 netted me better mileage, enough for me to justify the more expensive fuel.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-03-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2017
Registered!!

I appreciate beyond words that you took all the effort to do all of this to help me; thank you

The problem is that the 2018 accord has not any information about resale value or anything ... despite that honda announced depreciation value showing accord hold value better, kbb and nada show that civic does better ... i assume this is because civic had all the tech etc /// however, now, the lx accord has all of this so may be this will change things a lot ... so i am still torn between civic ex-t and lx accord
Old 12-04-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I think at this point, look at it from an aesthetic aspect: which looks better to you? Again, being Civic-biased, and my personal opinion, I like the look of the civic much more.

Either that or flip a coin and do the opposite. The coin's always a liar. Lol
Old 12-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys are trading off two cars every three years each, are the resale and/or trade-in values really anything you are truly concerned with?
I mean, apparently you have the money to trade up two cars every 3 years and will probably continue to do it regardless of trade in values at the dealership, which is valued a bit differently from selling the car to another private party on your own....

So which car do you like to drive more?
Old 12-04-2017
Registered!!

yes, we trade every three years but we get very high prices on our cars because we put low mileage and also take excellent care ... so yes, the resale value is important ... we looked at the LC of teh civic and found it loses the most because it lacks a lot of the add-ons that people now desire ... but became torn between the 18 accord lx that has most of everything except may be apple play and moon roof and heated seats and the 18 civic ex-t ... both are are at the same price point ... my husband think the accord is better bang for teh buck but i feel the older lx accord depreciated more than the civic ... i assume though this will change bec the 17 accord did not have what the 18 accord has ... do i make sense ... so which will sell better the ex-t civiic that is high end in cvic range or the comparable accord but at the low end of the accord?
Old 12-05-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

One can only guess what will hold its value better. Your area and demand at the time of selling will come into play.

Overall percentage wise I think they will depreciate the same. My wife’s 07 pilot and my 09 Fit cost around the same. Pilot had 100k miles on it my fit 50k. Pilot is a 30k+ car new compared to my under 20k Fit. Pilots are more desirable around me then Fit’s.

Get the one you like the most.
Old 12-05-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: Here's a winning suggestioin... Buy a 2018 Civic Type R, drive it no more than 10k miles per year, and in three years sell it to me for half the price you purchased it for .
Old 12-05-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

I just bought a 18 coupe
Im already wishing I had stepped up a model