10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Difference Between Si and Touring turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016Touring is an unknown quantity at this point
Difference Between Si and Touring turbo

Ok as my heading goes I am curious as to the differences between the Si's and the general 1.5L turbo. I know the turbos are different. But what about internals are they diffrent or are they the same? I know they must have a different tune as well as a bigger intake plenum. Reason I ask is I would like to convert my Touring Turbo to an Si's performace level.

Again not sure of the differences but I would like to know before I start modding my baby.

On a side note does anyone know the limitations of the CVT? I know it can handly the Hondata upgrade to 6psi but would it hold up to the Si's tune of 9psi.
Old 11-01-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Difference Between Si and Touring turbo

Really, just tuning and boost pressure, from what it looks like.

The touring model is boosted to 16.5psi and the compression ratio in the engine is at 10.6:1. Comes in CVT only.

Si has the same 1.5L turbo, but boosted to 20.3psi with a compression ratio of 10.3:1, likely to allow more boost in the same engine. Also comes in a 6-speed MT with a limited slip diff. Otherwise, from what I'm looking at (without knowing specifics on the engine itself), they look like they're effectively the same though.

As far as the limitations of the CVT, I can't tell you.
Old 11-01-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the info this will more than likely turn into a winter/ spring project but its good to know. I the Hondata flash give me 6psi taking me too 22psi (roughly) then I would be happy with that I can't do internals right away but down the road it may be ideal for higher boost applications.

Based on my friends who have turboed their cars internals are a must for high boost applications.
Old 03-22-2018
Registered!!

barch88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Really, just tuning and boost pressure, from what it looks like.

The touring model is boosted to 16.5psi and the compression ratio in the engine is at 10.6:1. Comes in CVT only.

Si has the same 1.5L turbo, but boosted to 20.3psi with a compression ratio of 10.3:1, likely to allow more boost in the same engine. Also comes in a 6-speed MT with a limited slip diff. Otherwise, from what I'm looking at (without knowing specifics on the engine itself), they look like they're effectively the same though.

As far as the limitations of the CVT, I can't tell you.
The Si has the turbo from the CRV I believe, larger fan fins and less fan fins overall. Also, yes, just a tune. BTW, The touring comes in 6speed manual. I'm in Canada, only the USA is it limited to CVT.
Old 03-22-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

so, my previous response was based off of research from Honda's website. I've since learned a bit more about the L15B7 and variants (variants, since EX-T, Sport/Touring, and Si all are equipped with the L15B7).

The actual turbo, however, there is one difference that helps the difference in boost. The compressor (intake side) wheel in both are actually identical, but the turbine (exhaust side) wheels are different.

The base civic turbo has an 11-blade wheel with a 37.1mm inducer and 32.3mm exducer.
The Si/CRV turbo has a 9-blade wheel with a 37.1 inducer and a 33.3mm exducer.

Fewer blades, bigger blades, more surface area with more air to move inside the exhaust housing, all translating to making the compressor wheel move faster.

Otherwise, the Si turbo is a direct bolt on to the base civic, but requires a tune for it to work properly. Si also has a bigger digital MAF whereas the base civic has a smaller analog MAF.
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by barch88
The Si has the turbo from the CRV I believe, larger fan fins and less fan fins overall. Also, yes, just a tune. BTW, The touring comes in 6speed manual. I'm in Canada, only the USA is it limited to CVT.
I was only able to get a CVT with my Touring and I'm in Ontario Canada. If I just haden't had problems with my last car I would have held out for the Si. But hey I like building cars. I digress I did some research and found that the Hondata guys did try and give the CVT a 9psi upgrade only to have the CVT self distruct. So 6psi it is also looking at exhaust, intercooler, hard pipes, and intake options. Was also thinking of Meth Injection. All in due time.

Thanks everyone for the helpfull info,

Cheers