10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Thoughts on the cvt transmission for 2017 model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debow is an unknown quantity at this point
Thoughts on the cvt transmission for 2017 model?

So I love hondas but have never been a fan of the cvt transmission. Didn't like it on my 2014 v6 accord coupe, didn't like it on my 2014 Nissan Rogue, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of it on the 2017 civic sedan touring. I addressed my concerns about my history with cvt transmissions and asked the salesman if anything had been done to them to improve the jerky shifting and lurching. Of course he said they did. It felt fine when I first bought it (had 10 miles on it off the lot). 6,000 miles later I see no improvements. Very jerky at low rpms, lunges forward when I lightly accelerate from a stop, noisy, just all around not a smooth feel. Anybody else having these same experiences? Is this the inevitable downside to cvt transmissions? Or am I just unlucky?
Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

MIS3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thoughts on the cvt transmission for 2017 model?

I test drove the Civic CVT 3 times and my experiences were different than yours. I found the CVT too smooth. I floored the gas pedal but I did not feel any quick launch that I expected. I wanted to like the CVT but I failed even after 3 test drives.
Old 10-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debow
Didn't like it on my 2014 v6 accord coupe,
Only the 4 cylinder Accord got the CVT.
The V6 had a 6 speed automatic trans.

didn't like it on my 2014 Nissan Rogue
I've never been a fan of Nissans, and I'm sure not a fan of the Nissan CVT, and apparently some of theirs are shared with some Chrysler products....neither have a great track record IMO.

and asked the salesman if anything had been done to them to improve the jerky shifting and lurching. Of course he said they did.
If you ever got to drive an older Civic HF or Hybrid with a CVT equipped with a "start clutch" (most of which eventually shudders during takeoff), this current CVT design is a tremendous improvement over those versions-- IMO.

If you're only comparing to a V6 Accord with a 6 speed automatic and a Nissan CVT, the Civic should feel different from what you're used to....but that's the way it is. True they do not drive like a typical automatic trans equipped car, by design.

---

It felt fine when I first bought it (had 10 miles on it off the lot). 6,000 miles later I see no improvements.
So when you bought it it was fine, and now 6000 miles later it's still fine.

Very jerky at low rpms, lunges forward when I lightly accelerate from a stop, noisy, just all around not a smooth feel.
Wait wait wait.....now it wasn't fine when you bought it?

These contradictory statements confuzzle me.

Originally Posted by MIS3
I floored the gas pedal but I did not feel any quick launch that I expected. I wanted to like the CVT but I failed even after 3 test drives.
Triple stab the gas pedal. I mean after you floor it, immediately lift up a half inch and floor it again, then again. This will usually force the RPM a lot closer to redline than just mashing it and leaving it on the floor.

The 2.0 NA engine will feel a bit more brisk during initial take off for 10 feet or so.
The 1.5 turbo engine is smaller so it will be a little slower in the first 10 feet but once the turbo spools up it gets funner.
Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Only the 4 cylinder Accord got the CVT.
The V6 had a 6 speed automatic trans.

I've never been a fan of Nissans, and I'm sure not a fan of the Nissan CVT, and apparently some of theirs are shared with some Chrysler products....neither have a great track record IMO.

If you ever got to drive an older Civic HF or Hybrid with a CVT equipped with a "start clutch" (most of which eventually shudders during takeoff), this current CVT design is a tremendous improvement over those versions-- IMO.

If you're only comparing to a V6 Accord with a 6 speed automatic and a Nissan CVT, the Civic should feel different from what you're used to....but that's the way it is. True they do not drive like a typical automatic trans equipped car, by design.

---

So when you bought it it was fine, and now 6000 miles later it's still fine.

Wait wait wait.....now it wasn't fine when you bought it?

These contradictory statements confuzzle me.

Triple stab the gas pedal. I mean after you floor it, immediately lift up a half inch and floor it again, then again. This will usually force the RPM a lot closer to redline than just mashing it and leaving it on the floor.

The 2.0 NA engine will feel a bit more brisk during initial take off for 10 feet or so.
The 1.5 turbo engine is smaller so it will be a little slower in the first 10 feet but once the turbo spools up it gets funner.
strange I always thought my v6 accord had the cvt and no one ever told me different. And what I meant was when I bought it and it felt fine now it doesn't. When I mention no improvements I was speaking on my past experiences with
the cvt transmission. It appears though that the only other cvt I've had was in my Rogue. I think my biggest complaint right now is when I'm in a traffic jam kind of rolling forward I feel it lunge if that makes any sense.
Old 10-29-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

strange I always thought my v6 accord had the cvt and no one ever told me different.
Now you know LOL

I think my biggest complaint right now is when I'm in a traffic jam kind of rolling forward I feel it lunge if that makes any sense.
Drive an identical car (same engine) with similar miles on it for comparison.

It's probably the nature of the beast.

If it's at 20 MPH or less I bet what you feel is the torque converter clutch (TCC) engaging full lockup at low load/low RPM/low road speed, which is normal.

Immediately after a gentle takeoff with steady gentle acceleration you might be able to 'see' the RPM pull down, like RPM goes up to 1500 then back down to 1300 yet still accelerating, that's the TCC engaging.
Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Now you know LOL

Drive an identical car (same engine) with similar miles on it for comparison.

It's probably the nature of the beast.

If it's at 20 MPH or less I bet what you feel is the torque converter clutch (TCC) engaging full lockup at low load/low RPM/low road speed, which is normal.

Immediately after a gentle takeoff with steady gentle acceleration you might be able to 'see' the RPM pull down, like RPM goes up to 1500 then back down to 1300 yet still accelerating, that's the TCC engaging.
Awesome, thanks for the advice man.
Old 11-19-2017
Registered!!

Joe-Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, New 2017 Civic EX Sedan, 4 cyl, 2.0L, now 850 miles.
I too have noticed that the car lurches in bumper to bumper, 20 mph traffic (San Diego freeways). Not my favorite thing.

But my main concern is how the CVT does actually work, when changing from reverse to forward, such as when backing out of the driveway.
For example, Reverse then in to Drive, it delays as it seems to wind up, then a little kick, and forward I go.
Is that what others experience? Is that suppose to be that way? Or does it need adjustment?

I never experienced that in my old old 00 Dodge or my old 83 Prelude
11/19/17
Old 11-19-2017

But my main concern is how how the CVT does actually work
You can google that and get a ton of answers and basic theory.

Reverse mode is done through a planetary gear set.
There are also hydraulic clutch and brake components within the CVT trans.

It acts a bit different mostly because it is not a typical automatic transmission, therefore it cannot not act like one (everyone is used to an automatic trans, this CVT may require some acclimation on your part too).
They have programmed it to mimic some of the things a typical automatic trans does, but it is still different.

There is sometimes a noticeable delay, length of time varies, and it's normal. There can't be much engine windup until after the trans finishes engaging even if you floor the gas pedal, because engine RPM is restricted until the computers decide full CVT engagement should have been safely achieved.
(I'm one who will slap the shifter into a gear the instant the engine is running, I know every last one of these CVTs has some delay and it's a bit longer than most typical automatics)
Old 11-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

JATCO: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...e-back-feature
Good read: http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...e-nots-of-cvts

I bought my daughter a 2017 Nissan Sentra in January. We didn't do a lot of research prior to shopping. I wanted to stay within a certain price range and go with an Asian import. It came down between it and a Kia Soul. The Sentra has a CVT and it's snooze-fest as far as performance but, considering it's basically a mid-sized car selling in the compact category, gets very good overall mpg, and at the lower end of price range for import compacts it felt like a solid purchase. Only time will tell how the CVT holds up. Service manual states 60k CVT transmission fluid change.

The Sentra's CVT has an Economy, Normal and Sport (LOL) mode. In sport mode it sort-of feels like a traditional automatic transmission.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-20-2017 at 06:01 AM.