10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Brand new 2017 Civic, vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bucwylde23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brand new 2017 Civic, vibration at highway speeds

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some advice on what might be causing some issue since I first purchased my 2017 Civic. I've had some vibrations when driving the vehicle since I got it, and it's primarily noticeable at highway speeds - ~50MPH or so and up. It isn't constant as far as severity, sometimes it's worse than others which is strange.

I've had it in the shop at my dealer 4-5 times now and they have done multiple things to try to fix the issue. They have been very friendly and helpful, I just want this fixed so I don't have to go back! They have driven the car and rode with me and agree that there is an issue.
What they've done:
- Road force balanced all tires
- Replaced both front axles (took a while for this, the parts had to come straight from factory)
- I *think* they put wheels from another civic on it and test drove it. They talked about doing this but I can't confirm that they actually did.

I currently have 6500 miles on the car and I just want this issue fixed. I drive a very long commute every day and am almost at highway speeds so this has been driving me crazy. Is there any advice on what to recommend they try?

I appreciate any and all help! Otherwise I'm loving my Civic!
Old 10-10-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Brand new 2017 Civic, vibration at highway speeds

any other dealer nearby? if yes, hit them to see another set of eyes.
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

at my dealer 4-5 times now
That's lemon law territory.....You can read in your owners literature all about how that works if you want to.

If you just want the car fixed.....You could call the customer assistance hotline in your owners manuals or on the honda.com website. Tell them your dealer hasn't been able to figure out the issue. See what they say about it.

Do NOT mention lemon law unless they can't solve the problem, because the moment you say those words the entire process changes direction.
Old 10-11-2017
Registered!!

bucwylde23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. I called them this morning and am taking it tomorrow for the manager to ride in it to see the issue. He said they may have to open a ticket with TechLine or something? I'm guessing with Honda direct. I'll see what they say before I do anything else.
Old 10-11-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Good start...... Get HOA involved.
Old 10-13-2017
Registered!!

delucat2 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it isn't constant, it isn't mechanical balance. You may have a harmonics issue - tires / roadway issue, or a weight / roadway issue. Try putting 100 lbs of gravel (pea gravel from HDepot) in the trunk and see if it stays the same. Could be motor mounts if electronically damped.