10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

18 mpg ??

Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kuroi is an unknown quantity at this point
18 mpg ??

Hello. Im new to this.

I just bought a 2017 Civic Hatchback

I noticed that the average mpg display shows that I am only getting 18 miles per gallon.

I have only been driving in the City. But, it is supposed to be 'up to' 31 mpg in the city. So, I expected to see much better than 18.

I have been driving pretty conservatively.

Do any of you experience this?
Old 10-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 18 mpg ??

It ALL depends on your driving. You're only going to get near or above the 31 MPG if you can go loooong stretches at about 40-45 MPH with very little stopping.

Every time you are stopped, in traffic not moving, moving real slow, stop and go, your gas mileage will be crappy. You are burning fuel but not accumulating miles, that's still rolled in the calculated average. You can watch the mileage numbers drop while sitting still.

'up to' 31 mpg in the city
"up to" includes the number ZERO.

TIP: set up your display to reset Trip A with every refuel, this automatically resets your fuel economy to zero at the start of the tank.....and by the end of that tank you can see the average of just that tankfull.
You will be able to watch your average recalculate every several seconds at first, and it will lessen as you rack up some miles.

You can also set it up one of the tripmeters to reset to zero every time you turn the key off if you want.

People in metro areas with heavy traffic just get crap mileage and it's normal for their situation.

Take the car out on some highways and run about 300 miles at steady 55 MPH and you should be able to get well above the 41 or whatever it says on the sticker.
I drive a 2012 Civic and I got my display to show about 53 MPG by doing that on a semi-regular 50 mile trip.
(and my gas mileage is total crap on the interstate at 80-90 MPH)
Old 10-13-2017
Registered!!

delucat2 is an unknown quantity at this point

2017 Turbo. I get solid 30-32 around town and drive it like I mean it. On long trips I easily get 40 mpg (75-85 mph) and could do better if I could stand to drive slow, but I can't.
Old 10-14-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by delucat2
2017 Turbo. I get solid 30-32 around town and drive it like I mean it. On long trips I easily get 40 mpg (75-85 mph) and could do better if I could stand to drive slow, but I can't.
Geez. Not even close. I just bought the car last Friday. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Old 10-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought the car last Friday.
You haven't burned through a whole tank of gas yet?

Burn through a couple full tanks of gas first....keep track of odometer readings and fuel quantities.......and calculate and track your actual gas mileage on paper then compare what is shown on the display.

Get it out on the highway too, and see what it can get.
Old 10-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You haven't burned through a whole tank of gas yet?

Burn through a couple full tanks of gas first....keep track of odometer readings and fuel quantities.......and calculate and track your actual gas mileage on paper then compare what is shown on the display.

Get it out on the highway too, and see what it can get.
Will do. Thanks
Old 10-17-2017
Registered!!

MaxJames is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends a lot on your driving. Like someone ealier posted, keep track for a couple tanks and that will give you a better idea of your mpg.
Old 10-17-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Another big factor is if the display (trip A/B) has never been reset it will still count all the idle time and hard driving time during test drives at the dealership.

Search this Thread