10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Fumoto oil drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017
kbh
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kbh is an unknown quantity at this point
Fumoto oil drain valve

Hello everyone,

First time poster. Just took delivery of a 2017 EX-L sedan and am pleased with the car. I have already accessorized with OE all-weather floor mats and trunk liner and splash guards. This is my sixth Honda so I am very satisfied with the brand.

I do all of my own service work and in the past I have found that oil changes go much quicker with a Fumoto Quick drain valve installed. I have installed them on all of my previous Hondas and been well satisfied. Has anyone here installed this valve on their car and can give me some guidance as to whether an extension is necessary?

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=391444

Thanks and look forward to sharing experiences with everyone.
Old 08-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fumoto oil drain valve

Welcome to the forum

(pic shamelessly stolen from another forum)

The aerodynamic panels under the engine will make your oil change take just a little more time. The tin panel has a couple screws and some 1/4 turn fasteners.

I don't foresee an extension being needed....have you looked under there yet to see what you think?
Old 08-30-2017
kbh
Registered!!

kbh is an unknown quantity at this point

So I jacked up the car today to change wheels and to do my first survey of the underside of the car. As ezone stated, there is a panel underneath the car that has to be removed. It is a bit tedious - there are three types of fasteners that need to be removed. There are two types of Philips head screws (two of each type) and six flat head quarter turn screws. Wear gloves as the panel itself is a thin piece of aluminum and you can cut your hands as you slide the panel off of four slide guides. I can see this becoming tedious as the miles accrue and the fasteners start to get corroded with salt and road debris.

Anyway the oil drain plug is not recessed and is easily accessed once the panel is off; so no adapter is necessary.

The other nuisance is that the central jacking point is far back from the front of the car. Unless you have a very low profile jack, you can't use it as a central lift point to jack up the front and them put stands on the side jack points. I was able to jack up the car high enough from one side and then place a single jack stand under the central lift point, but this is not an optimal solution. This car really needs a lift for servicing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6800.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	697.1 KB
ID:	111615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6805.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	111616  
Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

Good information, kbh. Thank you.

So do you plan to carry on your tradition of doing all of your own oil changes on this car?

It would have been nice if that panel had come with a slightly larger than fist sized opening (with cap) right under the drain.

I am sure that the panel is worthwhile in the long run for streamlining and noise reduction, though.
Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

There are two types of Philips head screws (two of each type)
Do Honda automobiles use JIS fasteners, like Honda motorcycles?

Here is a link to a discussion of the subject on CBR250R.com:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-s...llips-jis.html

Last edited by robfarr56; 08-30-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been nice if that panel had come with a slightly larger than fist sized opening (with cap) right under the drain.
Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Say, you're that smart a$$ I have heard about, aren't you?

Mine would have to be laser cut, with a couple of slots for tabs on the cover I would have made.
Old 08-30-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robfarr56

Mine would have to be laser cut, with a couple of slots for tabs on the cover I would have made.
don't worry, just have a laugh

the day you really need help, he will be there to help you. (but he will still make fun regardless )

another member, Max Tierney, also uses the valves in all his cars for years.
Old 08-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
don't worry, just have a laugh
ezone and I have had enough exchanges, and I heard his story of being called out for being a smart one at work, by an ancient customer (and his boss backing him up); so I have that under my belt.

AND he has already helped me a ton, and been crazy patient with me; as well as being online at ungodly hours.

Yep - I know ezone! Looking forward to driving over and meeting him at a do, sometime.

edit: Damn, I just realized that I forgot my after I called him a smart a$$!! Sorry. Internet protocol, and all...

Old 08-30-2017

Who, me? Where did you hear that? Who told?

I've got a nice 4" hole saw that I've used to make access holes in the under engine panels in other brands of cars. That's big enough to pass your hand while holding an oil filter.
ezone and I have had enough exchanges, and I heard his story of being called out for being a smart
This morning one of the other employees all but called me a d*** at least 4 times in a row. OMG it was funny.

I (loudly) pointed out something he missed several times, then when he finally figured it out he denied it.....so I did what I do, and apparently hurt his precious feelings or something. *COUGH*snowflake*COUGH*
AND he has already helped me a ton, and been crazy patient with me;
I'm not that way in real life. If someone needs help, they might have to put up with a line of s*** before I do anything useful. I usually make you work for the answer.

as well as being online at ungodly hours.
It's a curse.

edit: Damn, I just realized that I forgot my after I called him a smart a$$!! Sorry. Internet protocol, and all...

Didn't hurt my feeling at all. If you happen to stumble across any of my posts from about 2012 and read some verbal diarrhea of mine, just know that I quit smoking. For almost a full year I wanted to kill everyone around me....and it really showed sometimes.
Old 08-31-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Lol!